BPI-R3 Can anyone share how to configure debian to work as a router?

Hi ! as Openwrt doesn’t work at all with SFP ONT, which is not the case with the debian from the wiki i have two solutions, put the bpi-r3 in a drawer and wait for the problem to be solved one day. Or install Debian and set it up to work as a wifi router.

i know how to configure openwrt, but I don’t know how to do anything with debian.

Can someone please share his configuration ? what files to configure to have a basic router + wifi + HW offloading ?

i do not have a full configuration for r3, but i have written down some steps for r2 in my wiki:

https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:network:start

newer debian versions use systemd and so you should use the systemd way to configure things.

a router basicly needs at least the following things:

• network-config of course
  • firewall
  • additional hardening (sysctl, auditd, ssh, filesystem,webserver, other services)
  • dial-in config

as a base you can create an up-to-date debian for r3 using my Images repo

( need some users for testing :wink: )

these use latest uboot/ATF/mainline-linux from my repos for creating the image. so it depends on what is the problem in openwrt…so for unexperienced user the better way should be helping to get the sfp working in openwrt where you can configure all on the luci web interface…in debian all is on cli and manually configuration as it is designed as server-OS not router-OS

I think patching openwrt would be easier.

I would also recommend to see if the fix that is applied to debian, is also applied to openwrt.

But if you like to go the hard way, I have some systemd-networkd setup files here to start with:

systemd/network (github.com)

You can use these on Frank’s debian also. It just set’s up the bridge and wan port, but like Frank said, there is a lot more to do to get to a good router solution.

1 Like

SFP-Support is a kernel-thing, not openwrt or debian-specific. and kernel things should be fixed in mainline and if not possible then in specific repos (like openwrt or my linux-repo).

i already put some systemd-files in the generated debian images :wink: so there is already a basic network-setup, but firewall (you find basic examples in my wiki too) etc is not yet applied as this is user-specific and i wanted to leave the system as virgin as possible.

https://github.com/frank-w/BPI-Router-Images/tree/main/conf

when i finally find time to setup my home-router on r3 i can document some more things :slight_smile:

But openwrt build system makes it easier to apply patches to the kernel and packages, if you know what’s missing you can create a patch or ask someone to help you with that

Agree, I meant the debian-image’s kernel and openwrt-image’s kernel, to be specific.

I was guessing here that he needs to wait for a quirk to go in to the openwrt image, that you already included in yours…

for this the root-cause needs to be known…maybe it is a good moment to post the problem itself here: [BPI-R3] Which GPON ONU is working?

so the problem is that the gpios of the sfp are reused with the uart to getting in the embedded system of the stick. vendors debian only ignores the pins so the tx-fault pin cannot trigger the sfp-framework

neither for mainline nor for openwrt disabling tx-fault pin is a correct solution…so we need a better way before apply to any repo.

i tried some years ago adding an own patch to openwrt and failed :stuck_out_tongue:

i know that, but do anybody else know it too? imho it is necessary to separate these things :slight_smile:

afaik there is no quirk yet…but imho this could be a good solution

I see. Sounds like something that can be forced to work with a custom patch and hardcoded values

i think too, but we are on it since 2 weeks now with no improvement, we just get non working firmware, fixing one problem creates 10 others that didn’t exist before…

if you remember i found a command to execute in the SFP ONT, which disable this.

fw_setenv asc0 1

Since I’ve run this command, I don’t have any errors in the logs, but I still can’t access the ONT via ssh.

in your log in post after this, you have still the 1W limitation and the ping to wrong IP :slight_smile:

so pls test with the 3W limit and right ip :wink: and post logs and ethtool -m output

i fixed this too, i did the test with the 3w limit. Now i can’t compile a fully working firmware from @dangowrt git, i’m not the only one

we are turning around…

@frank-w can’t you just compile (or use the latest firmware i compiled) and burn it on a sdcard and test it on your BPI-R3 ? You’ll find immediatly what’s wrong and what’s need to be fixed…

this will go way faster as you know what to do, and you understand what you do…That’s actualy 2 weeks since i first posted here about this ONT problem and we are still at the same point, maybe with more problems added…

I agree it will also go faster when we know what is going wrong and can see the logs that Frank asked for…

Pls post it in:

i posted the logs each time someone asked me to.

Actually all topics i’m in are about “Do this”, “do that”, “post this”, “post that”. Now the situation is that we can’t create a working image from @dangowrt git, and we are still asked to do things. 2 weeks that we are turning around. all logs are already posted.

if you want more logs, please fix the git firmware which is actualy totaly broken even for RJ45 ports.

I’m not experienced in openwrt and do not have such sfp. So testing will be hard…and i have many sdcards currently in use (2+ for each board i have here for testing).

You ran into revovery maybe write to sdcard was not finished (or pervious boot filling pstore with crash dump). Make sure all data is written to card not rely on gui saying copy is finished. I don’t think kernel is broken in this way after last commits.

yes this is development…and r3 is a development board :slight_smile: there are only a few people here for getting things to work and doing support as far as possible. but we need some information on what is the exact problem…

you boot above shows only the tftp and nand detection…i guess abit more above there is a hint on which device is booted and maybe why tftp is done.

make sure the switches are really in the right position to boot from card. if uboot loads from card then kernel should too. but we experienced some read errors in uboot waiting for some guidance from vendor.

i changed the sdcard and finaly it worked.

@frank-w do you know how i can enable NAT offloading with my debian ?

when i tried a speedtest, the result was very slow, half the speed expected, 800Mbps with my 2Gbps fiber link…

With nftables should be similar to this (older config for r2)

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:network:nftables#hwnat

But i do not know if vendor kernel contains all options for this

:frowning_face:

for the bpi-r3, what devices are supposed to be here ?

devices = { lan3, lan0, wan }

should i put all lan1-4 wan/eth1 sfp2 ?

devices = { lan1, lan2, lan3, lan4, sfp2, eth1, wan }