Raspbian Jessie 2017-05-25 for M2U with fixed instability bug

Thanks for idea to facat: thread

Thanks to facat for prebuilt kernel, modules and uboot: gdrive

Fixed image -> gdrive

Tested: flashed onto microSD, booted on the M2U, run memtester - stable as rock!

Added on 16th of July, evening...

As I promised, below is the instructions how to upgrade the kernel and the uboot. I’ll provide the easiest way to do this: for microSD card and emmc via that card. All the below should be performed under Linux distro (except emmc steps - we’ll do this from Banana Pi itself)!

Upgrade your microSD card:

1. Burn the image you need into microSD (I was working with Raspbian only but the procedure should be the same)
  2. Insert the microSD
  3. You’ll get on /dev something like mmcblk0, mmcblk0p1 mounted as BPI-BOOT and mmcblk0p2 mounted as BPI-ROOT
  4. Upgrade the uboot:
  1. Upgrade the BOOT partition:
  1. Upgrade the kernel:
  1. Copy all the tar files somewhere to the microSD to upgrade the emmc
  2. Sync the filesystem sync Done: simply boot from the microSD card.

Upgrade emmc:

1. Boot from the microSD from the above (it’s stable, better boot from this card only!)
  2. Upgrade the uboot:
  1. Upgrade the BOOT partition:

mkdir /tmp/emmc sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /tmp/emmc sudo tar -xf BPI-BOOT-bpi-m2u.tgz -C /tmp/emmc sync sudo umount /tmp/emmc 4. Upgrade the kernel:

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /tmp/emmc sudo tar -xf 3.10.107-BPI-M2U-Kernel.tgz -C /tmp/emmc sync sudo umount /tmp/emmc

All done, just remove the microSD card and boot from emmc, use the microSD card as an emergency bootable media.

1 Like

Hi there, I have been discussing this also with facat on the other thread and I have just compiled dan-and’s kernel which also includes facet’s mods. It’s using linux 3.10.107 rather than 3.10.65 kernel so hopefully has some other improvements and security fixes.

I want to transfer the kernel directly onto the M2U while it is running. Is this possible? If so, how?

any help appreciated.

Hi jata.

It’s pretty easy: boot from sd and copy/paste with overwrite the files onto internal emmc (don’t forget to mount the partitions), I think uboot can stay the same, only kernel files should be replaced.

In my opinion the only thing must be changed to fix the instability issue: uboot patch, that’s all.

Can you point me to that kernel files? Will try myself later.

I’m getting an error with a tar command. can see anything wrong with it. Can you?

sudo tar –xvf BPI-BOOT-bpi-m2u.tgz -C /mnt/BPI-BOOT

error is saying

tar: invalid option – ‘?’

Pal, I’ve used Krusader with root privileges :wink:

Also can you provide prebuit kernel 107?

I have just trashed my setup and can’t boot. I was stupid and didn’t transfer a copy of the kernel from the eMMC before rebooting. Ooops.

So, it’s not possible to provide a prebuilt kernel at the moment. I’d want to make sure it works before sharing anyway.

facat suggested contacting dan-and via GitHub so that might be worth a try

Do your recompile Raspbian Jessie from source or you only replace files with prebuilt kernel, modules and uboot?

Nope, simply patched the img file.

That’s good.:slight_smile:

Compilation of the whole Raspbian will take ages on my machine :joy:

wow great i will try it now.

Guys, can you point me where to get the tars of the 3.10.107 kernel? I’ll patch the image with that kernel too. I found it some time ago but lost the link :sweat:

may be you should check your browser story? :smiley:

you mean this dan-and’s 3.10.107 kernel ?

Exactly. But I don’t want to compile it. Will appreciate pre compiled binaries :slight_smile:

Thank you Олександр Кузьменко I will try your method and report back.

In your post, the install instructions - step 3 - do not look right.

1. 3.10.106-BPI-M2U-Kernel.tgz

Extract BOOTLOADER-bpi-m2u.tgz to /lib/modules/

Should this be 3.10.106-BPI-M2U-Kernel.tgz that is extracted?

Thanks pal :smile:

Updated my emergency microSD and built-in emmc with the kernel and modules you’ve provided.

Looks good.

can you explain how you are doing this please? Are you using the instructions posted by Oleksandr_Kuzmenko or another method?