[BPI-R3] Which GPON ONU is working?

yes because it is not completely up…see your errors in dmesg

Fri Sep  1 00:03:28 2023 kern.err kernel: [   27.256525] sfp sfp-1: failed to read SFP soft status: -6
$ LANG=C errno 6
ENXIO 6 No such device or address

i replaced the G-010s-p with the MA5671A

[  728.589628] sfp sfp-1: module removed
[  743.520546] sfp sfp-1: please wait, module slow to respond
[  790.012789] sfp sfp-1: module Lantiq           Falcon SFP       rev 0    sn 032WDY10J8020978 dc 180607
[  790.022281] mtk_soc_eth 15100000.ethernet eth1: switched to inband/1000base-x link mode
[  790.059172] hwmon hwmon4: temp1_input not attached to any thermal zone
[  792.459935] sfp sfp-1: module transmit fault indicated
[  797.839151] sfp sfp-1: module persistently indicates fault, disabling

i guess the tx-fault quirk is missing for this one…

at the begining of the topic, one guy reported it has the fs.com GPON working.

My G-01S-P has the same firmware flashed on it…

then you should point him @doudootiana

but running same firmware on different hardware does not mean it works

well so what do we do now ??

do you need more tests or logs ??

I’m not following, do you have problems with your subnet or is it just the sfp module? I can try more fixups, but I’m not sure if the problem is with the sfp module. When you connect it to a media converter it works with the bpi-r3?

yes the modules only.

as long as i can’t ping the modules, then something is “not working”. it’s not a subnet problem.

YES it works with the media converter !

have installed ethtool? i do not see any output

no i’m connected to the bpi-r3 with serial, and ethtool is not in the firmware. i need internet on my PC with another router to speak with you

Ok then it’s probably the module compatibility with the bpi-r3. I’ll write a new fixup for the quirk.

i just tested the trick with ‘fw_setenv asc0 1’ on the MA5671A and for this module it doesn’t change anything unlike the G-010S-P, there is still the message about “slow responding”.

I need to add the slow boot quirk

stupid question maybe…but what is a “Quirk” ??

It’s a special (no-standard) handling of anything (here sfp) depending on recognized values (here vendor and serial read from eeprom of the sfp).

So sfp-code reads vendor and serial and if your values are detected some extra code is executed…e.g. to disable the standard tx-fault behaviour or adding some delay to give the embedded system to start before next access is tried

In code this looks like this:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/phy/sfp.c#n441

1 Like

ok, understood. but this will be something specific to me, this won’t help other people with other sfp brands ?

This will be special for your sfp…if anyone else has the same it helps him too

but this will never go in official bpi-r3 openwrt firmware ?

They accept sfp quirks there, so it might