Banana pi BPI-M3 will send free sample for test

Hi,

First about me: I’m a student in electronics & IT and I can promote your Product around my university and to all the companies I’m involved in.

What I want to do with your new board: I want to use the M3 as the heart of my own tablet, connect an 433 MHz Modul to it, an SSD and some other goodies.

First I will build up a proper UI for my tablet (Linux / Android) Than I will go into controlling 433 MHz power switches and after on I will try to use the Bluetooth modul to connect to my own SmartWatch (Arduino based) and maybe forward / receive notifications from my phone over ble.

I’m also engaged in the Kernel Hacker Bundle from the upcoming competitor C.H.I.P. and have some experience with Linux Servers and Rasp and also a Banana Pi M1 :smile:

It would be super cool when I can get a sample, already trying to get one over Alibaba, but with no success so far!

Keep on Rocking Germany

I have already the first generation of Banana Pi M1! and have testest a lot of thinks. I would like to test on the new BPI this feature

1. plex media server (works on BPI M1)
  2. kodi
  3. motioneye / surveillance station
  4. openmediavault (works great on BPI M1)
  5. sickrage, couchpotato, deluge, transmission (works great on BPI M1)
  6. boblight
  7. cherrymusic
  8. backuppc
  9. owncloud
  10. cisco vpn client
  11. Boblight
  12. WhatsApp on RPI
  13. Radius server for my wifi auth. (WPA2 Enterprise)
  14. FirefoxOS
  15. Microphone recording script

And I’m open for new ideas…

BR, Ivan

Hi there, I am interested in the application of your board as an on board image processing unit within some of the mini drones. This extends the capability of the on board camera and will allow for better frame capture, averaging and feature detection. The idea is to run open source Geo-spatial analysis package to allow real time on board processing and relay of information which may not be clear from visual inspection. I hope you consider me for a sample of the new Bpi M3. I am hoping to extend this to a class I teach if I can get it to function accordingly.

Warm Wishes, Sam

I work for a big building automation company. I have been fixing electronic stuff since I was 10. I’m 46 now. I’ve been programming since I was a teenager and the TRS-80 was a new thing. I’ve been making microcontrollers do things for years. I’ve designed and programmed a very customizable motorcycle signalling system that goes way beyond just blinkers. I have designed and programmed an ignition for the same motorcycle that would allow dynamic tuning that would respond to weather and demand. I even had plans to tie the two in together so that the brake light would come on when throttle was released at higher RPM. I am currently using another type of controller to use touch screens and wireless communication to control lights and stuff from anywhere in the home, as well as over the internet. It’s in work presently.

The Banana Pi would be ideal for creating a central hub to control what I’m already building. With my experience in building automation, I could really go crazy with this thing! Right now, I have a Raspberry Pi, which I am using for this project. I have a way to go, but it looks like I can just transfer what I’m doing to the Banana Pi to some extent. If you’re not going to send me one, can I be the first to buy one? :slight_smile: Next year, around this time, I’ll be either buying or building a house. I will be taking what I’m doing now and installing it, with plans to marked the whole system once I get it working well enough.

Thanks! I WANT ONE or 3 …

Dear Banana Pi,

I am working in Imperial College London, building a brain machine interface in between blowfly visual neuron to a robot. Trying to implement collision avoidance optomotor reflex. Currently I am using mbed. I wish to have a bpi-m3 to build this interface to the next level. Looking forward to hear from you! Thanks very much!

Best, JH @ KrappLab

Video clip:

1 Like

Status Update: From official BPI contact. The M3 are now in testing stage and will be released soon. In the next month. We will select winners from here and inform you once the product is released.

keep your hopes up:)

During the day, I develop cloud based software for telecommunication and operations. I have a ton of ideas where to take the M3 since it has significantly more compute capabilities and open source graphics. I am a SBC distributor at night. My current research is mostly focused on mesh networking and drone technology right now.

Hi, I’m intresting to BPI-M3, I’m working with M1 and openHAB and ESP8266 wi-fi module to collect data from remote sensor ( current, temperature, humidity, giroscope, ecc ) and / or control rele for home automation my home automation and IoT !

Flavio

I am Kai from Germany. I would like to compare the speed of my Low Power OwnCloud-Server on my BPI-M1 with the speed of the BPI-M3. The OwnCloud Server on M1 is okay, but slowly. I guess 6 more cores und 1 GB more RAM will raise the speed rapidly! SATA is indispensable, therefore the BPI-M2 is not an option.

I’m looking forward for being a tester for you.

Personaly I would like to build an affordable home server solution. I understand that it has an USB SATA port, but the HDD speed is not the only key factor in the test.

Secondly I’m looking for a cheap and low energy consumption solution which can replace a PC server based system. Here we have a large database (which requires a HDD connection, that is why the SATA port is essential) and a simple application which communicates with many electronic shelf edge labels.

The Third project would be an android auto test with the recently released dev kit from google.

I want to use BPI M3 as a master control to control a Model Railroad. My site is: on30modelrailroad.wordpress.com Thank you Antonio

Hello,
I am security researcher. I would like to have a sample of the BPI-M3. I want to test builds of freebsd. Also i would like to use blackarch/kali for testing and performance measurements. For example stress testing could be cool thing to compaire using the strong CPU power of the octa-core(and power consumption). I can create a website with results of performance, drivers that work or give problems. Using it as a device to filter wifi data. Use it as access point etc. I am interested in testing the stability of this product and provide this information to the general public.

hi there!

i am part of the european chapter of the biggest ufo research organisation. it is called mufon. we are the central european section and we are building ufo sensors and camera equipment based on pc like the new banana m3.

right now we are using odroid xu4 and raspberrys, but we wanna test you!!!

because the odroid takes up to 4 ampere.

the main goal is to build a web based system that combines sensors like gyro, accelerometer and gravity sensors. not to forget geiger müller sensors for radioactivesensoring.

please be so kind and send us a free test sample. it truly would fit nicely because of the low ampere, the octa core, the big ram and the cable connector for noir cameras.

we also connect to the system sony a7s cameras, sony low lux cameras, wide angle cameras und not to forget in the near future night vision gen 3.

this takes a lot of power, but to have a long lasting power source, you have to build the system on pc like yours.

it also takes a lot of disk space, up to several tb a day, so sata is a must!

and your tiny wonder combines it all!!!

truly a master piece when it comes to design!

would be really cool if you can help us out!

thank you very very much in advance!

we have a webpage: www.mufon-ces.org

best

I’m also interested in getting a sample of the M3. I am a Debian developer ([email protected]) and currently have a Raspberry as a home server. I often write about that on my blog ( http://gwolf.org/ ) I am a university professor at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México; I teach operating systems (I have a published book at http://sistop.org/ ) and started this semester with two modules on a diploma course on embedded Linux. Naturally, in the University I’m pushing for setting up a lab for embedded systems; it will take some time, but I’m sure we will get there.

Dear Team of Banana-pi.org,

I am apart of several development teams, having many different areas of focus. We work with solar power experts and technicians working on many projects involving open source hardware and software. One of our most exciting projects that involves the BPI-M3 is a wearable full desktop environment, with many applications for the field, office, campus, and home media server.

We require this product to develop a functional suite of software for home or work use. I am in touch with Vufine on securing samples of their hardware, which we will be reviewing, testing and using in unison with the banana bpi-m3 to make a prototype of this project. We also would love to test and review this product, as well as all the hardware compatible with this board that you offer to make a full review of this board and what it is capable of doing.

The basis of this wearable PC is a high level of functionality, low power draw, low cost, and to integrate the end-users previously owned hardware into their new, wearable PC. For example: hardware like mouse and keyboard are replaced with a smart phone, something that the user will surely already have as a part of their every day carry. Amazing features that your product already has, such as the on-board mic and wifi, not to mention the processing power, make this board the clear-cut choice for our project.

Please do consider this project for a sample package. We are already sold on this product, now we want to play our part in selling it to others.

Best regards, Drew Nguyen [email protected]

Hi, I am interested in the Banana Pi M3. I am making developments of many builds and would love to test out the banana pi m3 for a minecraft server. Thank you. -Ray

Hi! I would like a sample of the new m3 board to test the following things:

• The board as a backup and git server with a small display showing some stats.
  • A low powered Media Centre/Gaming console with IPTV
  • A information panel for home automation, servers etc. Regards, Yannick

Hi @all! I can imagine working on a DIY instruction on assembling a simple, cheap self-made UPS to power a SATA disk when power supply is offline. This could be of interrest I.e. for Openmediavault, freenas, NAS solutions in general or any other application where an additional disk needs to be shut down properly. The battery sustaining the UPS would be the one attached/managed/charged by the bpi. I came up with this idea because I appreciate a lot the bpi pro battery management.

Best regards, rr

OT but also noteworthy:

Maybe lcdproc could need also some work since the settings of the memory mapped io for the rpi B+ does not work out of the box on the bpi pro. I expect the same for the bpi m3. See source of a common LCD hd44780 driver:

https://github.com/kierank/lcdproc/…/hd44780-rpi.c https://github.com/kierank/lcdproc/…/hd44780-rpi.h

regards, rr

@UPS for poor: some measurements are pending but looks promising to me. it seamlessly keeps a SATA disk powered on AC is loss and turns off SATA when BPi is shut down: