Yep, it is the correct device. If it wasn’t, I wouldn’t even see garbage.
ttyAMA0 ist the device on Raspi.
But now I might have found something. I googled “prolific serial to usb garbage” and found a bunch of articles talking about poor hardware and even poorer drivers. Let’s see if I have something different in the workshop
I just remembered the usb2ftdi cable which I used to program mini arduinos. fetched it from the workshop and without any further doing I get a login screen.
Thank you very much for your patience with an old man. Problem closed
Ok thx its works,
but i get weird characters…
have you seen something like that?
could not start the image from sd, 2018-01-04-kali-xfce-desktop-v1.0-bpi-r2-sd-emmc.img
also with other images no success, need help, thanks for that.
i read in the forum and hope to have understood a lot
Maybe I’m incorrect here, but is that digitus device providing TTL lines? A serial port on the back your PC for example is a different electrical interface from the one on the PCB. Usually something like a MAX232 is used to convert from TTL to RS232… but I would get a device that converts TTL UART to USB directly.
thanks for the information (frank & ntech, I have a compatible CP2102 ordered and wait for the delivery…
I hope that brings me closer to my goal
By the way, a great forum for me and my BPI-R2-V1.1.
After a lot of searching, reading etc. I managed to connect to the serial console using a usb to serial adapter that has the FTDI - FT232RL chipset.
The cabling is like this:
[WINDOWS PC]----[USB2Serial Converter]----[SERIAL CABLE]----[OLD DB9 PLUG]----[3wires][BANANA PI M3]
[WHAT WORKED FOR ME]
From the old db9 plug I got 3 wires connected to the pins on the Banana Pi M3 board on those 3 pins located near the LAN.
From the DB9 pins I connected them like this:
-Pin5 on DB9 which is the GND to GND on Pi
-Pin3 on DB9 which is TX to RX on the Pi
-Pin2 on DB9 which is RX to TX on the Pi
I connected with Putty on the Windows machine using these settings:
Bits per second: 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: none
At this stage when powering the bannapi I would get a lot of scrammbled (garbage) chars on the screen…
To fix this I had to rewrite the EEPROM of the usb2serial converter. This was easy and everything went as expected.
Rewriting the EEPROM:
I installed this program: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG
I saved the current state of the EEPROM and then I reprogrammed it to use inversion like this:
I wrote the EEPROM and VOILA!!!
Now I have a console on my BPI M3!
Hope it helps someone else!
ps: maybe a moderator can suggest a better place for my post in the BPI M3 section…
Hi MrFulop – Madness this information, thanks for sharing this with me.
I tested it but unfortunately it does not seem to work on the BPI-R2-V1.1… the same result as before, i hope amzn will send me the TTL adapter soon. but thanks anyway
From my understanding Banana M3 is quite different from M2 so what worked for me (on BPI M3), might not work for you on M2…
If I would be in your place I would try this:
reset your usb2serial converter (EEPROM) to its original state - no inversion.
recheck the 3 pins on the BPI and be sure you have them plugged as disscussed:
Pin5 on DB9 which is the GND to GND on BPI
Pin3 on DB9 which is TX to RX on the BPI
Pin2 on DB9 which is RX to TX on the BPI
Connect your serial, recheck putty settings: Bits per second: 115200 Data bits: 8 Parity: none Stop bits: 1 Flow control: none
see what you get… If you still get scrammbled chars try to apply the inversion on the converter