USB External hdd causes reboot in loop

Hi,

I connected an External USB HDD Toshiba Canvio Basics 1To on my banana pi M64 installed with a Armbian bookworm image on emmc. Whenever i connect it, either from poweroff start or after a correct boot, u-boot is launched, then loops with hd doing a small noise at each reboot. I though it was a question of power, i first have a 5V 1,5A power supply (voltcraft) with correct barrel ( ie 4/1.7mm barrel, 5v center, ground on barrel ) and i concluded it was a lack of power. Then i swtich to a usb microUSB powered by a 15W ( 5V 3A ) from a xiami rednote smartphone, but still boot in loop. Is there something related to u-boot or it is just that it is not possible to power an external HD with a bananapi M64 ?

Thanks for reading !

This still might be a power problem. initial spinup of hdd might take 6W ( at least it is what i understood from https://superuser.com/questions/1171866/what-is-typical-power-consumption-of-2-5-laptop-external-hard-drive-connected-t ). I will try to get a USB powered switch, but this is somehow less interesting since idea was to not consume too much power …

I tested with another external HDD Seagate 4To. It is even worse, bananapi does not power on, and if powered on it is freezed trying to power external disk. Not even a u-boot message … So this is definitely due to hdd, it is just not possible to connect an external hdd, while an external ssd should work fine , i have one working on another sbc, i think i will have to invest in another one… This hdd will be use for backups…