Elecrow 5" LCD with HDMI on Raspbian 8 (Jessie): No change of resolution available

Hello community, I’m very desperate about the combination from the Elecrow 5" LCD on my BananaPi M1 with a Raspibian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) GUI. The LCD have a resolution of 800x480 on HDMI, but the Banana just use a resolution of 1280x720. Generally the LCD shows the screen, but only the upper left part of the desktop.

In “raspi-config” I’m not able to change the resolution manually, there is no menu for it. In “screen settings” by the scroll-down menu only “Auto” and “1280x720” is available. Changes about resolution in “/boot/config.txt” have no effect. Even I tried to disable “edid”, no effect. And yes, I edit the correct “config.txt”. Changes about e.g. overclocking have an effect.

(I think) I installed the officially driver from the LCD with the “/LCD-show/LCD5-show”. It wrote a new “/boot/config.txt” with nothing else than:

• hdmi_force_hotplug=1
  • max_usb_current=1
  • hdmi_drive=1
  • hdmi_group=2
  • hdmi_mode=1
  • hdmi_mode=87
  • hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
  • dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900
  • display_rotate=0

I added the lines to my originally config.txt:

# For more options and information see Raspberry Pi Documentation - Configuration Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

• gpu_mem=256

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default “safe” mode

• #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible and your display can output without overscan

• #disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border

• #overscan_left=16
  • #overscan_right=16
  • #overscan_top=16
  • #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display’s size minus overscan.

• framebuffer_width=800
  • framebuffer_height=480
  • #framebuffer_width=1280
  • #framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output

• #hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)

• hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
  • dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,composite
  • #hdmi_group=2
  • #hdmi_mode=14
  • #hdmi_mode=4
  • #hdmi_mode=87
  • #hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
  • #hdmi_drive=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in DMT (computer monitor) modes

• #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or no display

• config_hdmi_boost=7

# uncomment for composite PAL

• #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.

• arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces

• dtparam=i2c_arm=on
  • dtparam=spi=on
  • enable_uart=1

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module

• #dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)

• #dtparam=audio=on
  • core_freq=250
  • sdram_freq=400
  • over_voltage=0
  • #gpu_mem_256=128
  • #gpu_mem_512=256
  • #gpu_mem_1024=256
  • #overscan_scale=1
  • hdmi_force_hotplug=1
  • max_usb_current=1
  • hdmi_drive=1
  • hdmi_group=2
  • hdmi_mode=1
  • hdmi_mode=87
  • hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
  • dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900
  • display_rotate=0

By the way: Touchscreen is not working,too. But this is my next problem…

Have someone another reason for my issue?

Try here BananaPi Pro 7" TouchLCD with Debian Buster and Mainline-Kernel 5.XX.XX - Reviews, Tutorials, Hardware hacks - Armbian Community Forums

Thank you for the fast response, but I’m quite new in Banana/Raspberry and Linux. I never build something for the kernel. The tutorial is for Armbian and BananaPi Pro. Will it work for me?

Well, I don’t want to discourage you, but this is usually not plug and play. You will need to tweak kernel (or at least find correct device tree) to get this working.

Tutorial give you perspective what you are looking at.

I don’t know if this works for you. Good luck.