[BPI-R4] Replacing sinovoip FAN from heatsink

Not at home but I can take pictures sunday. I’m using this heatsink over the CPU and this one over the SFP+ cages. I’ve set the fan to be at the center of the top plate (see image). Since I have a PWM fan my adapter looks like the cable that I have linked in my last post and doesn’t contains anything more than wires and connectors. plate

Shipping is nearly 20 EUR for the CPU heat sink :X

Any idea how to get that to germany or switzerland without paying that much? Or any alternative?

Shipping is free for orders above 50 EUR (I brought along some ic for other projects). Finding a heatsink without a fan that covers the whole 50x50 square is really hard and even this one is not perfect (the distance between the holes should be 59 / sqrt(2) ~ 41.719mm whereas this have 43mm).

Had the same issue with digikey for wifi module, ESP gateway and others. They don’t like to handle small personal orders hence the high shipping cost I guess and the free shipping above 50€.

So best would be to order a slightly bigger heatsink, those special spring screws and drill the holes in the correct distance myself?

Thats what i am thinking now too :wink:

Here are the photos. The top is not yet finished the mounting holes doesn’t work with the Noctua NA-AV1, the fan wire is a bit too much bend and the uart adapter cannot be secured with double side tape yet. case1 case2

1 Like

Oh thats neat. The FAN is running all the time @5V i guess, but as its a 5v noctua fan (92mm or 80mm?), it probably is not noticeable? Thanks for the picture. When my perforated top arrives, and when i am finished with the FAN setup, i will post a pic too :wink:

It is a 80mm fan and yes it run on 5V but with the PWM it is never spinning at 100%.

How did you connect the pwm signal from the R4 (PH-3PIN?) to the noctua?

Like that but it won’t work the same way with your fan since it doesn’t support PWM.

I have no problem in buying a pwm fan if that works. Where do you get the pwm signal from?

From the 3 pins connector which has 5V GND and PWM. sch

what was the size for sfp heatsink???

30x40x5mm you can buy it here.

I received those heat sinks and put one of the sfp cages. It is still getting hot as hell with closed cage. With open cage, its perfectly fine. Waiting now for the two case tops i ordered.

Final revision of the top plate. case cad

1 Like

Did you close the holes for the antennas? How do you generate air flow? I assume thats my biggest problem - thats why i ordered a perforated top plate.

I did close the unused holes and only kept the one below the WiFi antennas because the Noctua fan has so much static pressure (the dust filter also helps) that this is not an issue.