[BPI-R4] heat problems with sfp+

I am facing some heat problems. The soc temperature is now at 60°C, the sfp+ adapter is too hot to be touched (i assume 80+ °C). Anyone else also facing this problem and ideas/workarounds? I can not get an IP address anymore over sfp. So i must use the 1gbit port on my 10gbit connection :confused:

I use the case from sinovoip including the pads and cooler (+ wifi7 card)

I guess you use copper 10G module?

Maybe something like this? And having active cooling on soc and the other chips…

I do not have the case from bpi so i do not know if there is a way to add some cooling on the wifi card…

1 Like

i use the case and active cooling from sinovoip, i assume thats still fine (with 60°C), but the sfp+ gets too hot. It was working a few days or weeks ago, where the SoC had about 50°C. My assumption is, its now simply too much and the sfp adapter gets too hot to work. I guess your solution would also not help as it can not transport the heat. It would probably only delay the malfunction. IMO the active cooling that is sold by sinovoip is not enough.

I have also had temperature problems with 10G Fiber optics GBIC. I think I’ll have a look for a suitable heat sink for the original case…

I was not having those problems when the case is open. So i assume the ambient temperature (in the case) for the 10G GBIC must be below 40°C or so. Right now its 56°C (what the SoC returns, so guess its ± the same in the case). If you find a solution, please let me know :slight_smile:

The heatsink that frank and I have is this one. On the main soc I will swap the Banana Pi heatsink / fan combo with this heatsink. I plan to 3d print (openscad code not yet tested and need one more hole to pass the fan cable) the top plate of the Banana Pi case to include a Noctua NF-A8 5V PWM fan. And I also made a custom adapter using this and this to connect the Noctua on the fan connector of the board.

Yes, when You add nvme ssd, wifi 7 module and sfp connection there will be for sure big ammount of heat to take care… Original fan with heatsink is way to small.

Does official case contain enough ventilation holes? And some on these hotspots? The r3 case don’t had them…it was nearly completely closed,so adding fan does not help much…

The case have holes right below the antennas on both sides. There is also a small space (4mm) between the board and the walls on both sides where these holes are located. Pushing a flow of air from the top plate to theses holes like me create in theory a slight vacuum under the board where the WiFi NIC is. This could be avoided by blocking the holes on one side or ignored if the now cold case is a good enough heatsink for the NIC.

i dont have a nvme, i only have a wifi 7 nic and a sfp+ rj45 adapter. The case is also quiet hot, maybe i will add also some heat sink on it.

I put a 140mm fan on the case and the soc temp dropped from 57.10°C to 50.5°C, still falling. So i assume best would be to buy a big heatsink with 10x15cm and 4-6cm in height and put that on the top of the case, and on top of that some nice noctua fan or so. I have a very little heat sink set from my rasperry and will put that on top, just 4 fun, to see if something happens (guess not?). Anyone an idea where i can buy heatsinks with e.g. 6cm fin height? Now its at 48.61°C, the fan runs with 7V

Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the top of the case? Maybe i go and buy a new small eloxated aluminium plate, put the heat sinks on that and install it. Then i am not abusing the original top :wink:

I bought now two of these: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005795216874.html with 100x69cm, guess that should work.

I use the fan to send air to the sfp where I will install a pon stick.

They could make the official housing of the BPI-R4 generally higher. Then you could also integrate a display, for example or cooling options.

IMHO the case as it is right now, is not suitable for that hardware.