BPI-R4 broken after power cycling?

Hey there,

I’m kind of stuck right now. I just redid some cabling in my network closet. When I plugged everything back in, I noticed that the network was not coming up and the LED of the ethernet ports of my BPIr4 were all off. So I unplugged and replugged it. Right after plugging it in, the fan ramped up, which has never happened before.

Now, it does that every time I plug it in and the fan just stays on. The power LED lights up and a green LED next to the USB3 port, which I also can’t recall to have ever seen lit up. Otherwise, I can’t get any signs of life from the pi. There’s not even any output over uart :frowning:

Any idea what to do?

Regards, Dorian

Hello, sorry to hear that. I do not think that I could help you in any way, but I would like to know how did you power the board? Did you try unplug any HW from mini-pcie, usb, m.2, all RJ45 ports and even sd card? Does there is still nothing on the UART?

Which uart adapter do you use? Make sure it has 3.3V ttl, it is connected the right way (rx to tx) and you use the right serial device on your pc.

You can try to reduce power consumption ba removing all unnecessary parts like sfp,nvme,pcie cards as rup says and maybe change power connector usb vs. dc barrel connector and/or supply.

Thanks for your replies :slight_smile:

I powered it using a 12V dc barrel jack for the past months. I tried that and USB-C PD, but both with the same result described above.

Yes, I unplugged everything.

No, unfortunately not.

I used the USB to serial converter on an ESP32 board with the EN pin connected to ground to stop the esp from booting. I did it like that in the past, and it used to work fine.

Do you think it’s possible to get it fixed or replaced under warranty? I bought it in January.

before sending r4 back i would try another usb-uart adapter when the board is not completely dead (you see led blinking)

There’s no blinking lights, just the power led is on and another green led is on. But I’ll order a different adapter and try it out.

Hmmmm, I’m thinking about the “another green led” which is on. I am using Debian on R4, and there is only red power led on until it boots. Not a single green led. It really looks like Mr. @frank-w said “board is not completely dead”, hope it will be functional again :slight_smile:

Which green led do you mean? The 12v led for bpi wifi board? Or the leds for sfps? These are hw leds not switchable by software,so independ from used image

This is the green LED I’m talking about:

I can’t recall seeing this one light up before the board bricked.

These should be the sfp leds

Hmm, that’s strange, though, since nothing is plugged into the SPF ports. I have never used SPF, because I don’t have a fiber connection.

Yes, this should be the SFP1 port led, and based on my observations, it lights up right at the time when the board is powered with module inserted into SFP1 cage without any delays. It looks like it is not controlled by os.

The “inner” led never lights up on my board, even inserted modules in both sfp cages - it only blinks very shortly whenever module is inserted in SFP2 and the board is powered up. Based on this, I assume, that the LED should NOT light in your case, and maybe there should really be some HW problem.

Do you know @frank-w someone here who could help us here?

Maybe @simon can help here

That green light is used to indicate the Power of the SFP.

Have you connected the uart adapter before? Was there any putput then?

If there was something output from the UART before but not now, and judging from the phenomena of the FAN and LED, it is very likely that the hardware is broken.

You can contact our sales.

Hello @simon ,

as @dorian confirmed in this topic, there is not any output from UART, even POST messages. UART and the board looks without any signs of life.

Hello @simon ,

Yes! I set the board up over uart about half a year ago and it worked flawless back then.

Alright, I’ll do that then, thank you all for your support! :heart:

Hups, I overlooked word “before” in your question regarding uart output, sorry about that :slight_smile:

Hi, have you contacted our sales? Have they solved this problem?

Hi @simon ,

I contacted them via email ([email protected]) on 02.08.2024, but haven’t received a reply yet.

hi any update on your issue??? my r4 is no longer working either…I hope this get noticed by sinovoip