BPI-R4 - any information?

The one you can buy publicly is the 1.1 version.

The main difference i found between 1.1 and 1.0 is the on board eeprom were configured (address strapping resistors) wrong and it was on address 0x50 instead of 0x57. This can easily fixed with some micro-soldering skills.

As far as I can tell the 1.0 boards sent out have their R73 removed, so the eeprom doesnā€™t cause any conflict. @frank-w can you please verify if your board has R73 or not?

Mine also came without an RTC module, a feature that I donā€™t mind not having, but the USB-C works on mine, it has the correct part installed, unlike @dangowrt 's board.

So the board you buy now should be a 1.1 and have all these issues corrected.

I ordered an R4 last week and received a shipping notification today. Nice!

Is there an ETA for the WiFi 7 card going on sale?

1 Like

The latest wifi driver solves this problem, it is not affected by the power supply.

This is the WiFi7 NIC we plan to make in the near future, but since the MTKā€™s driver is not yet perfect, so it will not be released until 2024Q1 at the earliest.

1 Like

Do you refer to mt76/master or net-next? Do you have a commit id where it is fixed? Strange that daniel has fixed this by using higher voltage on same socket,but maybe explains why the openwrt i tried was workingā€¦but have not enabled all wifi devices

This new version of wifi nic has antenna aggregations (do not know correct name) to reduce the count of antennas?

You can ask wei about this :smile:

We replaced the original MT7975N (2.4G, 4x4) and MT7977B (5G, 4x4) with MT7976C (2.4G 2x2 + 5G 3x3), and then used a diplexer to aggregate 2.4G and 5G together (same as R3mini),

although The overall speed is reduced a bit, but the number of antennas is reduced significantly, which we think is worth it.

As for the 14-antenna version, we will check it later and decide whether we need to continue doing it or not.

3 Likes

@zuowei8 can you answer this?

just like this :smiley:

please apply below patches to support > 4GB DRAM.

MT76: autobuild_mac80211_release/mt7988_mt7996_mac80211/package/kernel/mt76/patches/2011-wifi-mt76-mt7996-add-dma-mask-limitation.patch - openwrt/feeds/mtk-openwrt-feeds - Gitiles

WED: autobuild_mac80211_release/mt7988_mt7996_mac80211/target/linux/mediatek/patches-5.4/999-3021-mtk-wed-add-dma-mask-limitation-and-GFP_DMA32-for-bo.patch - openwrt/feeds/mtk-openwrt-feeds - Gitiles

2 Likes

net-next code looks completely different in these lineā€¦and is already fixed as i get the wifi interfaces without issues :stuck_out_tongue:

Any guesses on the selling price? 50-100$ 100-150$ or more than 150$

Will a kit be available on Amazon US?

I might be asking a dumb question, but does the SFP port support a Direct Attach Copper (DAC) cable?

In my use case, my router is a PFSense PC with a x520-da2 card. My plan is using the BPI-R4 as a wifi7 access point running OpenWRT.

I have always used these x520-da1/2 cards for direct connection between servers / computers that are nearby each other. Less complications of using a module and should save energy/heat as well.

Thank you!

Yes, Iā€™m mainly using the LAN SFP port in that way, and works great in 10GBase-R mode (with Mellanox, RealTek and Marvell link partners tested so far).

Same here, much less heat problems and less consumption, 10GBase-T 30m range copper PHYs eat about 2W more than a DAC cable on each end, so for one link thatā€™s ~ 100Wh a day, so 35 kWh per year, and thatā€™s real money, can easily buy you that DAC cableā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for confirming @dangowrt

Another questions, on the PoE version, is the BPI-R4 being powered by PoE? Or is it actually powering another device? I assume itā€™s the one being powered, but just wanted to confirm.

Thatā€™s correct. The PoE-version of the R4 (which isnā€™t produced yet and cannot be bought anywhere, as far as I know) can be powered over PoE on the 2500M/1000M/100M/10M RJ-45 port present instead of SFP2/LAN.

1 Like

Dang, I want one of these soo bad, especially after getting my BPI-R3 working so good.

However, I am really wanting to connect a Quectel 5G 5G RM521F-GL to it, as that is my service provider internet connection, T-Mobile Home Internet.

Ten gigs passive dac works like a charm.

itā€™s super easy to make however. You need to remove the cage, solder in a LPJG0926HENL connector and an RT5400 PoE module and your done. You have the PoE model.

So, if i solder some cables to bottom pads od board to a connector iā€™ll have one more eth port working?