BPI-R4 - any information?

Hi, I see Gpon ONU stick is mentioned in your reply,I’m going to do the same, but I’m running into some issues。PPPoE cannot be connected, even if my ONU status is normal, and I also tried to use the fiber optic modem provided by ISP, the PPPoE connection cannot be made。do you have any idea。Thanks!

https://forum.banana-pi.org/t/bpi-r3-pppoe-on-lan0-single-rj45-not-working/15944

wifi 7 function test ok ,all hardware function test ok .

%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20230719172938

2 Likes

Yea. BPI4, is something I’m gonna skip on. Im not a fan of any aspect of the design here. I know too early to say, but it’s going to have heat dissipation issues with / without the case. But looking forward to the release and reviews!

The 10G support on the SFP+ is “up to” not “only” right? Which speeds will it support? For example,

• 1G
  • 2.5G
  • 5G
  • 10G (obviously yes) Alot of 10G equipment only supports 1G and 10G

Some 10G SFP+ sockets only support 1G and 10G modules, that’s true. But even if the SFP+ socket only supports a 10G module, you can get, say, 10G ethernet modules will themselves support 100M, 1G, 2.5G, and 10G speeds.

I looked on Ali-Express … the BPI-R4 is for sale now?

I thought … i wished … it would be not so expensive … .

Just wait a bit,we are still preparing patches for mainline (daniel send 2 series recently) and last hardware has at least a bug,so better wait for next version (i guess 1.1).

3 Likes

Any word on the enclosure?

Ha. Those 154 Euro are only the Board… not the WiFi Daugtherboard. That will probably cost similar or more than the BPI-R4 itself.

Or what do you guys think?

I will also wait for the price of the wifi card before pulling the trigger. The R3 had this price with Wifi.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on the v1.0 bug? As v1.0 seems to be now hitting the AliExpress stores - or at least it show v1.0 in the pictures but nowhere in the text - I am in doubt to buy it now.

I guess it is already fixed in public sale as it was discovered when i received my dev board…

I am particularly interested in the 10GB ports, and the M.2 KeyB for 5G (USB 3.2) slot, I hope one can use the Quectel 5G RM521F-GL in this slot to it’s full capacity? Also interested in the slot for WiFi 7 module. Looks to be a beast. I should order one of these, though, waiting for them to be available on Amazon. That’s where I got my BPI-R3 kit from.

Anyone understand this?

• 2x 10Gbe SFP slot (option 1x 10Gbe SFP and 1x SOC embedded 2.5Gbe PHY. NOTE: Need to modify hardware)

Can you please stop asking same questions twice in different threads?

1 Like

@simon does the powering issue on v1.0 maybe affects 12v powering (not usb-c as @balika011 is powering via usb-c without issues,but also without the wifi-card)? I have a 12v/6a power supply and with wifi-card i had no issues on v0. On v1.0 i have hang on wifi initilization. @dangowrt reports similar and uses now 19v/3a on the dc jack without issues.

You can buy from them for ~90 eur shipped from China: Banana Pi Bpi-r4 Router Board With Mediatek Mt7988a Filogic 880 Quad-core Arm Corex-a73 Design 4gb Ddr4 Ram 8gb Emmc 128mb Spi - Buy Banana Pi Bpi-r4 Router Board,Mediatek Mt7988a Filogic 880,Arm Corex-a73 Design 4gb Ddr4 Ram 8gb Emmc 128mb Spi Product on Alibaba.com

The one you can buy publicly is the 1.1 version.

The main difference i found between 1.1 and 1.0 is the on board eeprom were configured (address strapping resistors) wrong and it was on address 0x50 instead of 0x57. This can easily fixed with some micro-soldering skills.

As far as I can tell the 1.0 boards sent out have their R73 removed, so the eeprom doesn’t cause any conflict. @frank-w can you please verify if your board has R73 or not?

Mine also came without an RTC module, a feature that I don’t mind not having, but the USB-C works on mine, it has the correct part installed, unlike @dangowrt 's board.

So the board you buy now should be a 1.1 and have all these issues corrected.

I ordered an R4 last week and received a shipping notification today. Nice!

Is there an ETA for the WiFi 7 card going on sale?

1 Like

The latest wifi driver solves this problem, it is not affected by the power supply.