Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 Module design

Hi…

Where can I buy it?

nowhere, its WIP. when its done, you can buy directly from sinovoip e.g. on aliexpress.

for anyone interested regarding antennas: if i understood the person from sinovoip, seems like there are special antennas required for wifi 7 which will be sold when the card comes out.

Ok, will they also work with Wifi6? Or will you need different ones?

i assume they will work with all wifi standards. otherwise, it would be useless, wouldnt it.

So there is no 14 antennas version anymore?

Afaik same state as here:

And generally for release:

Mainline driver does not support firmware we have at the moment…we need a newer wifi firmware which is compatible with mainline code.

1 Like

ths wifi modue test report . Continue to test wifi7 and optimize it

BPI-R4-NIC-BE14_report(20240522).xlsx (22.6 KB)

3 Likes

What speed level can we get on 6GHz band with card like intel be200m or similiar?

planning to use this on a x86_64 build openwrt computer when its released, but how can you connect this to your motherboard? i know we can use two PCIe to mPCIe adapters but how can we inject 12v into this wifi module?

I guess you can supply 12v via the white jst connector,difficulter will be the mpcie connection as you need 2 slots with same spacing

also if we have a adapter that can use only one full PCIe x16 and converts it to two mPCIe would be great

Oh, thanks for replying!

But here’s what I would do with the 14 antenna module, Buy two mPCIe extenders then connect it to your PCIe to mPCIe adapter then you screw the wifi board to a metal like an hard drive slot (you should probably put a plastic between the metal and the wifi board to prevent it from shorting) now connect the two mPCIe extenders to the wifi module. Though I don’t know if those type of extenders exist, I will check online.

EDIT: oh man, the prices are ridicolously high for just a small adapter, like 23 dollars (in my country)

What about the 14 antenna design? Do I have to trace it instead or i just have to find the right soldered holes for it?

Sounds interesting … why do you want do build an x86_64 system? I thought x84 is dying. :face_with_monocle:

BE19:

BE14:

But even both board will be released the boards are are still unter softtware devenlopment …

Cause the bpi r4 is expensive I could make a router out of a Xeon E3-1240 V2 with 32GB of ram, this will help me and my neighbors ensure great speed without lagging when watching adult… yeah you know it. There’s also some gamers out here, I’ll probably install proxmox on this router then ipfire,then probably pi-hole? And lastly which is my favorite Openwrt I know I know, I went I little too far with the specifications but I’m an 12 year old boy who just graduated elementary and I’m the only one managing the internet connectivity here.

My problem would be how can I get this to ship in the Philippines? Like Banana Pi is on AliExpress but they charge us almost 25 dollars or maybe 1,000+ pesos Maybe this will be released in Amazon

Second of all, how can I inject 12v in this board? I’ll probably need Banana Pi to mPCIe pinout for me. It would be nice you know? It would also help other people.

Was I the only one to think we can install a Mediatek wifi 7 board into an x86_64 router build?

Okay, I read it, I understand it!

But, the whole projekt is a development projekt! It looks for me, that the developer have much to do with getting WiFi 7 to run on the R4-Mainboard!

I did not know about your internet connection, but this system R4 + WiFi 7 board should have a low power consumption over all.

12V:

Distributors: I use Joom: https://www.joom.com/en

The special on Joom, they have in short time intervals discounts. I checked it, they should deliver to philippines! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the advice!

Lol one problem when making an x86_64 router would be the power supply, imagine using a generic one non stop for 5 months it’ll probably explode

EDIT:For now I’ll use something like the Realtek RTL8822CE