[BPi-R3-Mini] Review and mainline ImmortalWrt firmware support

BananaPi BPi-R3 Mini is powered by MediaTek 830 (4x A53 up to 2.0 GHz), with 2x 2.5 GbE, AX4200 2.4G/5G wireless, and a USB 2.0 port. It also has two M.2 connectors can be used for NVMe SSD and 5G module (Nano SIM slot included on board).

This would be a good choice to use as a portable mini router and CPE.
With Mediatek PPE engine, you can reach to 2.5 Gb with zero cpu usage.
The SoC is also fast enough to handle en/decryption operations over gigabit networks (for aes-128-gcm it’s about to 1440 Mbps).

With the boot switch toggle, it’s also suitable for those who are new to OpenWrt/Mediatek and interested in it. The physical A/B slot design can help you recovery the system easily.

Unfortunately, there’s only one USB 2.0 port (3.0 PHY is taken by the M.2 connectors).

Highlights:

SoC: MediaTek MT7986A 4x A53
  Flash: 128MB SPI-NAND, 8GB eMMC
  RAM: 2GB DDR4
  Ethernet: 2x 2.5GbE
  WiFi: MediaTek MT7976C 2x2 2.4G + 3x3 5G
  Interface: M.2 B-Key, M.2 M-Key, Nano SIM slot, USB 2.0
  LED: Power, Status, WLAN2G, WLAN5G, LTE, SSD
  Button: Reset, Boot switch
  Power: 12V Type-C PD
  Size: 65x65mm

ImmortalWrt has recently added support for this board, all basic features are working.

You can download the prebuilt firmware at: https://firmware-selector.immortalwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=bananapi_bpi-r3-mini

• Note:
    1. LuCI is not included in snapshot builds by default.
    2. Make sure the initramfs file is named as immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-initramfs-recovery.itb.
    3. For TFTP recovery, you need to connect your PC to WAN port (close to edge)*.

eMMC Flash instructions:

1. SSH to BPi-R3 Mini, and upload all necessary firmware:
    emmc-gpt.bin, emmc-preloader.bin, emmc-bl31-uboot.fip
  2. Write new GPT table:
    dd if=immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-emmc-gpt.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=0 count=34 conv=fsync

3. Erase and write new BL2:
    echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0boot0/force_ro
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0boot0 bs=512 count=8192 conv=fsync
    dd if=immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-emmc-preloader.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0boot0 bs=512 conv=fsync

4. Erase and write new FIP:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=13312 count=8192 conv=fsync
    dd if=immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-emmc-bl31-uboot.fip of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=13312 conv=fsync

5. Set static IP on your PC:
    IP 192.168.1.254/24, GW 192.168.1.1
  6. Serve ImmortalWrt initramfs image using TFTP server.
  7. Cut off the power and re-engage, wait for TFTP recovery to complete.
  8. After ImmortalWrt has booted, perform sysupgrade.
  9. Additionally, if you want to have eMMC recovery boot feature:
    (Don’t worry! You will always have TFTP recovery boot feature.)
    dd if=immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-initramfs-recovery.itb of=/dev/mmcblk0p4 bs=512 conv=fsync

NAND Flash instructions:

1. SSH to BPi-R3 Mini, and upload all necessary firmware:
    mtd-rw-a53-5.4.ko, snand-preloader.bin, snand-bl31-uboot.fip
  2. Erase and write new BL2:
    insmod mtd-rw-a53-5.4.ko i_want_a_brick=y
    mtd erase BL2
    mtd write immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-snand-preloader.bin BL2

3. Erase and write new FIP:
    mtd erase FIP
    mtd write immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-snand-bl31-uboot.fip FIP

4. Set static IP on your PC: IP 192.168.1.254/24, GW 192.168.1.1
  5. Serve ImmortalWrt initramfs image using TFTP server.
  6. Cut off the power and re-engage, wait for TFTP recovery to complete.
  7. After ImmortalWrt has booted, erase UBI volumes:
    umount /mnt/ubi0*
    ubidetach -p /dev/mtd4
    ubiformat -y /dev/mtd4
    ubiattach -p /dev/mtd4

8. Create new ubootenv volumes:
    ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -n 0 -N ubootenv -s 128KiB
    ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -n 1 -N ubootenv2 -s 128KiB

9. Additionally, if you want to have NAND recovery boot feature:
    (Don’t worry! You will always have TFTP recovery boot feature.)
    ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -n 2 -N recovery -s 20MiB
    ubiupdatevol /dev/ubi0_2 immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-initramfs-recovery.itb

10. Perform sysupgrade.

Screenshot

3 Likes

Question, I tried to tftp it ove with mobaxterm, but it can’t connect.

1. Set static IP on your PC: IP 192.168.1.254/24, GW 192.168.1.1
  2. Serve ImmortalWrt initramfs image using TFTP server.
  3. Cut off the power and re-engage, wait for TFTP recovery to complete.

Once I have burnt immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-emmc-bl31-uboot.fip, do I need to setup the boot back to emmc?

Can you explain this a bit better, like I am five? Thanks.

Also, what software would you recommend for the TFTP? Maybe I need something better than Mobaxterm.

Thanks

Of course. If you don’t boot from emmc, how could the new uboot work?

tftpd64, old but reliable.

https://crates.io/crates/tftpd works fairly well in case you want an alternative.

@1715173329 do you plan to upstream the support to OpenWrt or it requires further changes?

Planned, but needs Airoha PHY driver goes to upstream kernel firstly. Unfortunately the PHY is a full black box.

So, I got it working with Mobaxterm, I had to reflash the image. I made the mistake that the first to time, I I tried to select from the uboot menu. The second time it found the image itself. Once it was up, I did the following

opkg update opkg install luci

Then when I was in the luci, I selected the sysupdate file, I am good now. I got my R3-Mini up and running on luci-ssl.

Thank you

That’s great. BTW we released 23.05.1 stable recently and it contains support for this board.

Awesome, I am about to finish my video and I am going to hi-lite how your image got mini up and running.

Why do you not write the image using dd?

It probably works, haven’t tested yet.

@1715173329 Should we pick your changes into official openwrt.org or are you going to take care of that yourself?

Edit: Just seeing you have answered that already here [BPi-R3-Mini] Review and mainline ImmortalWrt firmware support - #5 by 1715173329

@ericwoud Is taking care of the PHY driver, but Airoha/MediaTek will have to provide the firmware files under a redistributable license (and submit them to linux-firmware).

1 Like

Just a tip in case you ignored it ;)

Looks like the manufactory wrote a wrong value to the PHY register and resulted both rx polarity were reversed. I added a simple hack using OF to work around the issue, hope there’s a better way to do this.

I am trying to fix my nand, since uploading immortalwrt, when I try to boot from the nand, it keeps stating that it can’t find the lan devices

When I try to do this command

insmod mtd-rw-a53-5.4.ko i_want_a_brick=y

I get this error

insmod mtd-rw-a53-5.4.ko i_want_a_brick=y [ 282.941377] mtd_rw: Unknown symbol printk (err -2) failed to insert mtd-rw-a53-5.4.ko

This one is for kernel 5.4. You can get kmod-mtd-rw directly using opkg command.

Thanks, I want to share this incase someone else wonders how

root@edo:~# opkg install kmod-mtd-rw Installing kmod-mtd-rw (5.15.138+git-20160214-2) to root… Downloading https://downloads.immortalwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/filogic/kmods/5.15.138-1-29bca93017240d993199f4aae39827f0/kmod-mtd-rw_5.15.138%2Bgit-20160214-2_aarch64_cortex-a53.ipk Configuring kmod-mtd-rw.

root@edo:~# insmod mtd-rw i_want_a_brick=y

root@edo:~# lsmod | grep mtd

mtd_rw 16384 0

dd if=immortalwrt-mediatek-filogic-bananapi_bpi-r3-mini-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb of=/dev/mmcblk0p5 bs=512 conv=fsync

I tried and I confirm that using dd works fine.

1 Like

Thanks for awesome work. I installed on eMMC and working great so far.

But overlay is only around 280MB and remaining 6GB is just don’t have any partition. So I tried extroot on OpenWrt Documentation but modifying /etc/config/fstab didn’t do anything.

Maybe I installed in wrong way or using dumb . Can you check the this overlay problem?

Edit: Sorry. Nevermind. I managed to fix myself both on extroot and small overlay problems by compile images myself.