[BPi-R3-Mini] Review and mainline ImmortalWrt firmware support

If you’re able to build the image from source, try the latest commit. I have updated the eeprom data.

I will try to do it, but I need to know if the testing kernel (6.1) is supported while building the image?

:smiley:Now, we can say that we have a good wifi coverage and performance. U did a pretty good job. well done. Just have two questions: 1- Kernel v6.1 is supported? 2- does your source code has been updated to support WED in both directions?

This is to confirm that WED works pretty good in both directions (TX,RX)

can anybody explain how to “sysupgrade” firmware? recovery firmware is loaded in ram of my device, how can i load sysupgrade firmware without luci?

@1715173329 First off thank you for the port! I was browsing the github repo looking if the drivers for the RM500U-CN are available but I couldn’t find any references during my quick search. Could you please tell me wether the 5G Modules for the R3-Mini are supported in the latest image of immortalWRT?

Hello and thanks for the support. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get pwm fan working on this distro?

works fine, just ensure kmod-hwmon-pwmfan is installed, then you have the option to run the following command or write scripts to modify fan speed based on CPU and WIFI ship temp.

echo 90 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1 echo 120 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1

I have RM520N-GL and performs very well. I am using QMI protocol.

1 Like

upload the image to /tmp folder using scp (scp firmware_image [email protected]:/tmp) then start the upgrade by run this command sysupgrade -n /tmp/firmware_image

Thank you for the answer. I suppose the RM500U-CN shouldn’t cause any issue either then. Did you have to install drivers (QMI is proprietary as far as I know) using opkg or was the card found without issues?

I have installed these packages: kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan and luci-proto-qmi and uqmi. card are automatically detected. driver support was added for RM520N since Sep 2022 https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb/[email protected]/

Thank you for providing the packages! I will get my R3 Mini in about 2 weeks and will test this. For anyone wondering: The drivers for the RM500U-CN have been added on March 2023 [PATCH] USB: serial: option: add Quectel RM500U-CN modem - Bjørn Mork

Will report back if the module installation in the R3 Mini was “plug and play”

How do you have this connected? Via USB?

In stock version, GPIO 431 used to power on 5G card as GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW. the following script taken from stock: #!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common

if [ ! -f /sys/class/gpio/export ]; then exit 0 fi

enable M.2 5G RM500U-CN Module Power

echo 443 > /sys/class/gpio/export echo 431 > /sys/class/gpio/export echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio431/direction echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio431/value

sleep 30

result=lsusb | grep "2c7c:0" | wc -l if [ ${result} -eq 1 ]; then #echo “######################### Start 5G RM500U-CN Calling Process ############################” #/sbin/quectel-CM 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/quectel-CM_RM500U-CN_Calling.log #echo “##########################################################################################” /sbin/quectel-CM & fi

In immortal image gpio 431 was exported by default as follows

Is it possible to update dts file to automatically power on the card and be detected by the system.

R3 mini has M.2 B-Key (USB3) interface for 5G card connectivity

1 Like

Yes I have fixed it.

Unfortunately, 5g card not detected. Temporary solution, I have edited the dts file as follows:

and in startup script , I have added the following commands:

echo 443 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo 431 > /sys/class/gpio/export

echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio431/direction

echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio431/value

Optimized solution. no need for startup script

Thx for posting your changes! This will be super helpful when I’ll tackle my R3 Mini with the RM500U-CN module - unless @1715173329 updates the image before I receive my R3 Mini :wink: