[BPI-R3] Debian Bullseye Image

Will Docker work on this image? So far, trying to start the container ends with an error:

docker: Error response from daemon: Failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error setting cgroup config for procHooks process: bpf_prog_query(BPF_CGROUP_DEVICE) failed: invalid argument: unknown

I guess you need to add BPF_CGROUP_DEVICE to kernel. I have only added required options to kernel. It is no complete kernel for every usecase…but the you can still use the inage and replace kernel

Do you have a guide on how to do this? Or can I use this?

git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/armbian/build
cd build

./compile.sh

cd output/kernel
make menuconfig

make -j$(nproc)

sudo make modules_install
sudo cp arch/arm/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-$(make kernelrelease)
sudo cp System.map /boot/System.map-$(make kernelrelease)
sudo cp .config /boot/config-$(make kernelrelease)

Armbian is completely different system and i guess official one does not support r3,maybe use erics version.

But when you use my debian image you can build+install kernel with the build.sh from my kernel repo

Did you mean CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL?

I would have to check if I have CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL enabled… From an older .config I can see from here that I have that set to Y, so I assume on latest version it is the same.

So radek can use archlinuxarm, or extract the kernel from the package, which is a simple archive.

No, he needs bpf support in cgroups, so CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF but this depends on syscall.

Only copied previous from the error message without searching for exact config option

That I do not have set (yet).

It’s a pity that there is no full-fledged Linux image. My goal is to build a linux server on a bpi-r3 with a wifi router, NAS, print server, docker, etc. For users with less experience with kernel compilations, this is very complicated.

It is a dev-board…we did much work to get it as easy as possible :slight_smile:

Every user has different requirements and build all possible options into it…that makes testing more time consuming…so i added the common options and for specific things users have to add it.

I totally understand and admire your work! I will try to sort through all of this and create a Linux server according to my needs. Thanks for all the help.

I can only maintain a minimal image, then it is up to the user to install packages he/she would like to use.

I do build every stable version 6.x.y (rolling-stable) and present it as readily build package. But that package is not Debian.

Any user can make a request to add any kernel-config and, if reasonable, I will add it. That is why I was asking what exactly is needed here… You will then always have the newest stable version available, with the kernel config options you need.

This topic is not the correct one to make that request, it should be done here [BPI-R3] [BPi-R3-Mini] Imagebuilder R3 ArchlinuxArm, linux-rolling-stable

added BPF cgroup to my r3/r4 defconfigs in 6.6-main…when pipeline is finished you can use the build kernel or build a new image with my images-repo

Hello. I used a Debian image and burned it to an SD card. I set up Debian to my needs. Is there a way to copy it from SD card to eMMC? Is it possible to simply use dd to convert an image from SD card to eMMC?

You cannot copy directly as filogic has only 1 mmc controller so not both simultanous available. And sdcard should not be the active rootfs (so no changing data while getting image)…so use external system to get the image from the card.

But you can make an image from your sdcard and flash this after booting from nand/nor with emmc enabled.

Then you need to flash emmc bl2 to boot0 and set partition config so that boot0 is active. And flash emmc fip to the fip-partition.

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r3:uboot#writing_emmc

Yes, I have linux on nand. I have the Debian image on a USB flash drive. I will boot into linux in nand. I mount the USB using mount. I use dd to copy Debian image from USB to eMMC. Is it enough like this?

flash full image to emmc and flash bl2 (emmc needs this in boot0) and replace fip

Can I do everything from Openwrt linux installed in nand?

you can flash image, fip and maybe bl2 from a linux-system like openwrt. bl2 maybe requires to set force_ro to 0 as boot-partitions normally set to readonly

but setting bootconf is imho only possible from uboot

Cool. I finally succeeded. Now I can’t detect SSD in M.2 KEY-M PCIe inerface. Do I need to install something?

Where do you need the nvme? Uboot/linux,debian/openwrt?

In debian it should work,you can install pciutils to use lspci,but nvme should be visible…try cat /proc/partitions