BPI-M5 USB 3.0 Power test

BPI-M5 USB 3.0 Power test, we test 4 USB 3.0 port , can support total 4A

1 Like

That’s impressive, now the board can power most of the 2.5" sata drives if connected directly through onboard USB. Please provide the right power adapter along with the board else the users will keep complaining of the board powering off when in load.

Great work by BPI team.

So, you have attached 2 x 2 amp load on the USB3.0 ports that is equal to 20 Watts.

This is nice to have, but what I am missing here, is the AML S905x3 running too?
Let’s suppose the S905x3 needs as most SoC 10 Watts if it runs well cooled at its maximum.

I am sorry to play the bad guy, but the USB-PD does @5V not allow more than 15 Watts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#PD In other words, if you don’t increase the voltage to deliver this power, you burn a very difficult to solder power plug.

To stay within the limitations of the USB-PD one would have to deliver 9V or more, like they do over at Rock Pi4:

Power USB PD

Support USB Type C PD 2.0, 9V/2A, 12V/2A, 15V/2A, 20V/2A

Qualcomm® Quick Charge™

Support QC3.0/2.0 adapter, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A

The test shown in the picture is S905 in idle state, and it’s power consumption is about 5V / 0.2A. We will continue to test the function of s905 under full loading.

Because the SOC does not support PD or QC, and don’t have a PMIC, We consider that USB typeC port can connect to computer as a device is more important, so no additional PD chips are added.

BPI-M5 only use 5V power supply and does not support PD or QC.

1 Like

Do you route the 5V from the power supply straight to the USB ports?

Would the BPI-M5 power 2x 2.5" rated at 5v, 0.85A over USB 3.0 directly?

I have a 3A power adapter and a Pi 4B, which did not reliably power the drives - I needed an external powered USB hub.