BPI-M5 BPI-M2 Pro new image:Rasbian image, 2022-4-09 update

BPI-M5 BPI-M2 Pro new image:Rasbian image, 2022-4-09 update

Rasbian on Banana Pi BPI-M2 pro:

rasbian%20for%20BPI-M2%20Pro

Rasbian on Banana Pi BPI-M5:

rasbian%20for%20BPI-M5

rasbian%20image

note:

1. K5.17 version use Armbian 5.17 kernel and rasbian file system .

2. other verison is for 32bit or 64 bit rasbian version .

google driver: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oqamIMl5Kmb3LVYMPFw-1tilvwKQI6n-

more please see wiki page:

BPI-M2 Pro : https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-M2_Pro

BPI-M5: https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-M5

3 Likes

Banana pi M5 computer raspbian arm64 I installed the version. But when I run the operating system, there is no sound to the headphones. I suggest you solve this problem.

I tried, but something happen when the OS is rebooted, it doesn’t boot again. I have to unplug de DC power source and plug in again to boot the OS on my BPI-M5. It happen every time the OS is rebooted, I think is something have to do with the DTS file because It happen whith my own kernel build version 5.17. Any way it’s a good porting.

Try this:

sudo apt install alsa-utils -y

copy the file asound.state to /var/lib/alsa/

asound.state (11,5 KB)

No point in buying this dump if there’s no supply shortage on raspberry pi.

The raspbian image with k5.17 won’t even boot. What a joke.

There’s no easy way to install TeamViewer on this messy stuff, I asked once on this forum and the post got deleted. They thought the problem would be solved in this way. Interesting.

The usbserial driver is missing on the armhf image, this implies you can’t use ch340 to receive serial data. Even if the sensor works fine with windows/raspberry pi, you will only receive random garbage on this junk.

For those who consider buying a BPI-M5 to replace a raspberry pi, think twice before making any decision.

Don’t delete this post again little dictator. I will help you promote your product on Twitter and Reddit for FREE if you delete my post again.

1 Like

I confirm, it is the same for me. I installed Linux raspberrypi 4.9.241-BPI-M5 #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 21 16:29:40 HKT 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux and I have a big problem that I can’t seem to fix. When I try to use docker run I get this error:

docker run hello-world
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error setting cgroup config for procHooks process: bpf_prog_query(BPF_CGROUP_DEVICE) failed: invalid argument: unknown.
ERRO[0000] error waiting for container: context canceled

Can someone help with that?

I can’t get the 2022-04-09-raspios-bullseye-arm64-bpi-m5-m2pro-k5.17-sd-emmc.img to work with hdmi out. The board gets an ip address but since ssh is disabled by default I can’t login remotely to troubleshoot. The screen just remains blank.

If I tried the 2022-05-25-raspios-bullseye-arm64-hdmi-edid-bpi-m5-m2pro-sd-emmc.img image and this managed to get output to the screen but the boot process doesn’t result in a login prompt but just “hangs” showing the last kernel log entry.

I tried some of the Ubuntu images too and not luck with booting those either. Just a blank screen. Are there any known good images even older ones?

OK I got it to boot just fine. I had to use windows and the etcher programme to get the flash to work. I was using linux with dd. Maybe I forgot to do a sync after the copy completed with dd. In any case I don’t know windows that well but the etcher application claimed the copy had failed but it booted just fine.

I hope this helps someone. Will test linux dd and sync later. I am pretty sure it should work. Just forgot that step! I used the 2022-05-25-raspios-bullseye-arm64-hdmi-edid-bpi-m5-m2pro-sd-emmc.img image.

I can not boot this image on my BPI-M5, but I can run the 2022-09-06 release Ubuntu Mate Desktop 20.04 with Kernel 4.9 normally.

Any suggestions about what I can do?

I tried the 2022 May image, but it just boot once. After that it do not load the X and even trying do it by terminal, I could not.

update: 2022-04-09-raspios-bullseye-arm64-bpi-m5-m2pro-k5.17-sd-emmc.img works!!

update 2: everything works with 5.17 except rebooting. It just sits there and doesn’t boot but an unplug and plugin of power makes it boot right up.

Try the open source Raspbian images from BPi located here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oqamIMl5Kmb3LVYMPFw-1tilvwKQI6n-?usp=sharing (go up a level to “thanks_to_opensource” folder to see the other OS options). 2022-04-09-raspios-bullseye-arm64-bpi-m5-m2pro-k5.17-sd-emmc.img worked immediately for me.

The 2022-04-09-raspios-bullseye-arm64-bpi-m5-m2pro-sd-emmc.img with the 4.9.241-BPI-M5 kernel works perfectly every time. I just now tried the 5.17 kernel image and this version booted right up! I really need the source code for the image though bc I can’t compile kernel modules using 4.9.x for some things (ie. getting the RT8822CS uart wifi/bt module made specifically for the M5 to work…ugh). Maybe 5.17 works!

Balena etcher for Windows really does make this 100x easier. Download image, unzip, open balena etcher and pick image, insert sdcard, select sdcard, click flash. Insert the SDcard into M5 after flash and voila. I use gparted to expand the filesystem though…the raspi-config option didn’t do it and /boot filled up during update so expand it first before doing anything. gparted is just too easy and failproof that goofing with commandline but it can obviously be done there too.

meh…I don’t think k5.17 image is stable or mature enough for a reliable dev platform. I went back to the 4.9.x image for stability’s sake…for now. I also wanted to mention that the BPi RT8822CU wifi/bt UART board doesn’t seem to have any support past a really old kernel. Fail.

Ok, at last I got my M5 to run with this img: 2022-05-25-raspios-bullseye-arm64-hdmi-edid-bpi-m5-m2pro-sd-emmc.img.xz

Hope it saves somebody else time.

Piet

31133 I tried raspbian with 64,128gb and emmc storage but all freespace is like the picture. is it an os problem?(BPI-M5)

Yes, move to https://www.armbian.com/bananapi-m5/

I used image 2022-05-25-raspios-bullseye-arm64-hdmi-edid-bpi-m5-m2pro-sd-emmc.img.xz and it booted correctly but it doesn’t provide hardware OpenGL acceleration (llvmpipe is used instead). Is there a way to get panfrost/lima working on the raspios for bananapi m5? If not, what is the best debian-like option to get panfrost/lima working? Debian? Armbian?

Edit: Armbian provides Panfrost out of the box.

1 Like

tried raspbian with 64,128gb and emmc storage but all freespace is like the picture. is it an os problem?(BPI-M5)

You can plug the SD card to another computer, install and run gparted as root, select the SD card, select the second partition, and extend it to the maximum available space. The provided image doesn’t autoextend on first run, you have to extend it yourself.

Has anyone been able to get a real time kernel running on a BPI-M5? Is the M5 able to handle real time kernels and operations?

Any help or suggestions would be much apreciated.

Thanks

Piet

No, but can be generate with help of https://github.com/armbian/build and RT sources or patches from here https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

If you know what you are doing, its pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the reply Igor. I have tried building for BPI M5 with Build, inside VM Virtualbox but no luck. Tried several combinations but keep getting errors. Last combination’s output log attached.

Have not been able to get through to the kernel part yet.

Is there a way that I can use the pre-built BPI M5 image and add RT kernel to it?

Regards

Piet

output.log (5.6 KB)