BPI-M4 android Getting started

Here is the download like for Putty. You can use the latest version. https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

https://putty.org

Do you have a UART Cable to use it with ?

HI, I downloaded the schematics and that was a great help. I’ve got the m4 to load and run Linux Ubuntu Mate 18.04. bty a good pointer is that you can’t use a digital monitor even if you are using a HDMI to digital adaptor that was my first mistake, worked find with my APC, Raspberry and set box but not the BPI! I think I have some issues with the 3.3 V to TTL level so I can’t load Android at the moment, I have tried with a standard serial cable but that didn’t work neither did the uart cable I made. I’ve order a uart adaptor from internet. Now for the questions. 1. After I have booted up from the cd card how do I load the eMMC and how do I boot up from it. 2. The RTD 1395 can support NAND but I can’t see any on the board. 3. The “BOOT_SEL” pin B16 is that connected. 4. The “GPIO_48 and 49 come from “SW2” and “SW5” what function do they have and at the same time pin 52 “INSTALL” coming from” SW4” what function does that have. Well for now that’s it looking forward to the answers. BR

1. Burn image to emmc, and switch SW2 on the side of SD card to “1” position, which starts from emmc
  2. Our M4 does not include nandflash circuit design, only emmc and SD
  3. BOOT_SEL is fixed when RTK leaves the factory and cannot be modified
  4. Functions of SW2 and SW5 are easy to understand from the schematic diagram
  5. SW4 is for system upgrade

Hi now we’re getting somewhere. To burn the image from “NOR” to eMMC I’m going to have to get the bpi-tools not sure about the syntax. I noticed looking more at the schematics that the “BOOT_SEL” was hard coded also the doc on the Realtek has a lot of good information, btw can I connect to the composite video output in anyway. Br keith

Do you have an answer to the question about comp video?

Judging from the schematics image

you will need an adapter cable that provide 3.5 Jack to RCA, to make use of composite video, but beware as there are several different standards/cable variations and you wnat one that looks like that:

Additionally composit video output is different between PAL and NTSC so it is also a question to which kind of CRT you want to connect. Last but not least you probably want to disconnect the HDMI cable as I am almost certain that you can only use either one. Saying if the board detect an HDMI cable it will most likely disable composite video.

I am trying to install Android OS on BPI-M4 as mentioned in the document.

Instead of this: C1:80000000 C2 ?_? d/g/r>

I am getting following error: C1:80000000 C2 ? ? C3hUDA get hwsetting fail: BOOT1 Rescue… Fail to get hwsetting at BOOT1 rescue mode(0x00000015) 00000015 C1:80000000 C2 ? ?uu3-1

Br Keith

P.S the comp video works thanks