BPI-M3 video decode for linux

good news , we have success for BPI-M3 linux video decode.

now , 720P video decode have success

but 1080P video decode have some issue. we try to fixed it.

2 Likes

In other words: NO HW accelerated video decoding. BTW: The screenshots are way too large. It’s possible to read some of the contents partially. Better choose 60x40 pixels next time. This way you can fool even more potential customers!

Hi SinoVoip !

I just want to know if the BPI M3 hardware acceleration support by linux kernel is really in development or not, because i bought one thinking that support was ok LOL

My project is a small linux network platform being able to decode HD films and open source apps for a relatively low cost. The BPI M3 features lend themselves to it. My only problem is this fucking GPU driver :slight_smile:

Again, I would like to know, if it’s in development, in about how many time I can hope to finish this project ? One month ? Two ? One year ?

Thanks you for work and answer.

Bye

yes ,we work hard on GPU development , our RD coworker with allwinner RD .

OK thank you and good luck

You said the same regarding M2 and nothing ever happened (except of providing fake marketing videos claiming HW acceleration for 1080p video decode). There’s still no HW acceleration available for the M2. Why should we trust you?

BPI-M3 test 720P decode

What’s wrong with you? This is 240p (downscaled to 320x240 pixels) and the proof that HW accelerated video decoding DOESN’T WORK.

Record a 1080p video with your smartphone while playing the video again and show us a terminal window with the output of ‘uname -a’, ‘cat /proc/cpuinfo’ and then ‘htop’ when you start playing the video. If you don’t do this it’s just the proof of evidence that video decoding isn’t working.

Hardware:BPI-M3 Operating System:Debian 8 Test video: https://durian.blender.org/ Sintel.2010.720p.mkv

Step 1: Open VLC Step 2: Run Commnad: uname -a Step 3: Run Commnad: cat /proc/cpuinfo Step 4: Run Commnad: htop

Demo video:

Thank you. All decoding happening on the CPU cores so where’s the point to show this?

In other words: NO HW ACCELERATED video decoding possible as with every other product from you :slight_smile:

It’s a matter of drivers and you don’t get it.

Orange Pi community members got it working in the meantime: HW accelerated video decoding using Allwinner’s CedarX engine: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=648&extra=page%3D1

A cheap Orange Pi PC is the better device to watch video even if the CPU isn’t that fast as the one used on the M3. Since it’s a matter of software and not hardware.

To complete a HW ACCELERATED needs other supports such as GPU, G2D, and Display.

As for this demo, it is aimed at showing the users that 720P video decode has been working successfully, but still needs the optimization of the GPU to enhance the performance.

Why GPU? Why don’t do it right and use CedarX for video decoding? Simple answer: Because this is software and all you do is hardware and marketing.

Given the long history of broken promises (for example exactly the same issue with the M2: Garbage M2 distros ) I don’t believe this will ever happen.

The M3 will soon have the same bad reputation as the M2 now since people will realize that software/drivers/support suck. And I doubt you start to address the issues (software!) but will instead produce a M4, M5 and M6 to further sell hardware to another bunch of clueless new customers (like us that bought the M3 today)

Why don’t you do it your way and show us if it turns out the same as theirs?( I mean using the same OS (Debian 8) which has been officially released here " http://www.banana-pi.org/download.html " to do it.)

Sorry? I know already that we don’t have (and don’t get) HW accelerated video decoding on the M3. Since they opened up a new thread speaking of ‘video decode for linux’ and they talk about ‘cooperation with Allwinner’ since a few weeks I was curious what they now have.

And thanks to Justin we now know that there’s simply nothing. Video decoding happens on the CPU cores. That’s not a big deal, that’s no deal at all since it’s the default everywhere. If your CPU is fast enough you might be able to decode 1080p but that’s not the case with the M3. Since software/drivers make the difference. And they don’t do software just hardware and marketing instead.

I was curious whether they use newer software internally but Justin showed they still do tests with an outdated kernel from 2nd Dec not even containing their own fixes. I use a cheap Orange Pi now since there the community got it working.

Hey, I don’t think you’re a BPI goer, instead, I think you even have a tendency to pick a fight though.

Do you think that BPI is the only client of Allwinner’s ? Or do you think that just a little time will do for developing?

Well, I’d love to to get one of the magic boards. Would you mind kindly telling me where to get one though?

[quote=“Rab, post:14, topic:877”] I was curious whether they use newer software internally but Justin showed they still do tests with an outdated kernel from 2nd Dec [/quote] I don’t think you have ever been developing any software, haven’t you? Usually, it takes developers at least 3 months to release New mainline kernels (www.kernel.org). Do you really know a thing about kernel? Name me a product (if you can) which could use New mainline kernels after being released in a month.

And I don’t see any technical articles posted by you but criticism. Just try harder man…

No criticism here, but I am just wondering if there is any improvement with video acceleration? Using provided BPI-M3 images no video can be played, but we all know it’s just time and money to shoot out new software doing what we want. Open source community can do a lot but people need something to start with? And need to know where to start?

Are you really that silly?

I don’t believe Rab spoke about mainline kernel but about kernel patches they fix on github but no user here is able to benefit from (since all the OS images lack upgrade mechanisms and are old) and the BPi folks themselve seem to ignore the fixes they already made:

https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M3-bsp/commits/master (look at the commit timestamps)

It’s close to unbelievable that they fix stuff on Github but don’t deliver these fixes to their users. I’m not willing to waste my time with such lousy software. I had some hope that Armbian would support the M3 (use it with my M1+ since months and am really happy with it) but it seems the Armbian image provided here is just a fake: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/474-quick-review-of-banana-pi-m3/#entry4022