BPI-M2 zero new image:2017-12-04-Armbian-5.36-m2-zero-Ubuntu-xenial-next-4.14.3-desktop-preview-buildbybpi

To burn the image, I used ImageWriter on Win10. Just selected the image file and the SD card and clicked Write. Honestly nothing fancy. :wink:

yes I also am getting severe video glitching with graphic updates

I also ran GLmark2-es2 to test performance, and it really messed up, it also thought it was running on a GLES3.0 system but the Zero has mali 400Mp2 so only GLES2.0 at most.

Is there a more stable OS?

Ummm anyone? Or is it going to be another example of the makers not actually caring about the software?

Video is much more stable at 720p

using a version from November which was the video version, it is more stable at 720p, GLmark2-es2 works on it, but only gives a score of 52

It’s not a solution, just a hint, looks like with this score mali is not in use so no hardware acceleration. Try the image with kernel 3.4.113 and if i recall correctly xorg.conf should have SwapbuffersWait set to false. Mind that i have not tried any image yet or have built any so far, so i could be wrong…

I don’t build my own OS, so I rely on whats made available. This version did report Mali 400 GPU’s as the target, and I also installed mesa drivers, but to no benefit.

I don’t really need superfast scores, but must say this image is far from a useable system. display at 1080 is unuseable also there is incomplete alsa support. I’m afraid the BPIZero’s are collecting dust here…

also - it’ is becoming more and more unclear which thread has the latest image for the BPiZero. Maybe the latest ‘OS experiment’ can be pinned or something.

Is there an Armbian Image without Ubuntu available?

Is there any new image, with working graphics yet?

I try use on banana pi m2+ zero , and i have error crc , not boot .

This image, for write on sdcard , i need use what program to flash on sdcard to work normally ?

I fix this problem , is cause by buffer after write sdcard , i need flush cache to finish write on sdcard , after this , work 100%

1 Like

I installed this image to microSD card and it worked good the first time I use it.

I shutdown my Banana Pi zero W UMPC.

Now, when I boot, I get the ‘Warning bad CRC’ message in console text. Then it continues to boot and I see the Armbian with penguin on the display. But it will not boot any further.

Any suggestion to fix this?

Not sure if what Carlos writes is same issue. If so, what does it mean to ‘flush cache to finish write on sdcard’ ?

Thank you.

This is old but is a same for all storage, for understanding https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/flushing-cached-data-during-dma-operations

Thank you, Carlos.

Meanwhile, it appears my microSD got corrupted. Having a hard time trying to fix it.

[ UPDATE 1 ]

Got card fixed and reinstalled image. All is good now. Overall, this image works great.

Using with USB hub with 3 USB ports and 1 ethernet port.

Thanks for providing it.

[ UPDATE 2 ]

Having problems shutting down properly.

Now when I tried to boot up again, besides the CRC warning, a bit later in console I get another error message, but went by too fast to read it…then it ends up with about 10 lines of text like this:

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00000 Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0000 Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/000 Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/00 Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/0 Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-sunxi Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm Not ethernet found.

missing environment variable: boot file Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default Not ethernet found.

Config file not found starting USB…

No controllers found.

No ethernet found.

No ethernet found.

=>

Tried rebooting again without USB hub attached, put keyboard dongle directly into UMPC, but get same errors…

Time re-install image file again, I assume?

[ UPDATE 3 ]

Reinstalled image on card. Used device OK and did shutdown.

Now, I rebooted and it started up OK.

Just tried booting up UMPC again.

Got the same ethernet error as in previous post.

Is there any way to bypass this error to boot up or do I need to reinstall image on card again?

Thank you for help!

Deleted post.

Things working OK.

Is it safe to do apt-get upgrade or will it break system?

Thanks for your input.

Hey, I tried to install wiringPi on this image, but every time I try: gpio -readall I get this message:

Unable to determine hardware version. I see: Hardware	: Allwinner sun8i Family
'
 - expecting BCM2708, BCM2709 or BCM2835.
If this is a genuine Raspberry Pi then please report this
to [email protected]. If this is not a Raspberry Pi then you
are on your own as wiringPi is designed to support the
Raspberry Pi ONLY.

Could anyone help me with this? Using this wiringPi Port: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-WiringPi2

Thank you

Hey, I downloaded the 5.36 image and it is starting up on my BPi M2 Zero for a few seconds. Then it is printing out a message, that CPU is getting too hot and performing an emergency stop. Don’t think it’s normal. What can I do? Best Regards MK_munich