Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 Module design

planning to use this on a x86_64 build openwrt computer when its released, but how can you connect this to your motherboard? i know we can use two PCIe to mPCIe adapters but how can we inject 12v into this wifi module?

I guess you can supply 12v via the white jst connector,difficulter will be the mpcie connection as you need 2 slots with same spacing

also if we have a adapter that can use only one full PCIe x16 and converts it to two mPCIe would be great

Oh, thanks for replying!

But hereā€™s what I would do with the 14 antenna module, Buy two mPCIe extenders then connect it to your PCIe to mPCIe adapter then you screw the wifi board to a metal like an hard drive slot (you should probably put a plastic between the metal and the wifi board to prevent it from shorting) now connect the two mPCIe extenders to the wifi module. Though I donā€™t know if those type of extenders exist, I will check online.

EDIT: oh man, the prices are ridicolously high for just a small adapter, like 23 dollars (in my country)

What about the 14 antenna design? Do I have to trace it instead or i just have to find the right soldered holes for it?

Sounds interesting ā€¦ why do you want do build an x86_64 system? I thought x84 is dying. :face_with_monocle:

BE19:

BE14:

But even both board will be released the boards are are still unter softtware devenlopment ā€¦

Cause the bpi r4 is expensive I could make a router out of a Xeon E3-1240 V2 with 32GB of ram, this will help me and my neighbors ensure great speed without lagging when watching adultā€¦ yeah you know it. Thereā€™s also some gamers out here, Iā€™ll probably install proxmox on this router then ipfire,then probably pi-hole? And lastly which is my favorite Openwrt I know I know, I went I little too far with the specifications but Iā€™m an 12 year old boy who just graduated elementary and Iā€™m the only one managing the internet connectivity here.

My problem would be how can I get this to ship in the Philippines? Like Banana Pi is on AliExpress but they charge us almost 25 dollars or maybe 1,000+ pesos Maybe this will be released in Amazon

Second of all, how can I inject 12v in this board? Iā€™ll probably need Banana Pi to mPCIe pinout for me. It would be nice you know? It would also help other people.

Was I the only one to think we can install a Mediatek wifi 7 board into an x86_64 router build?

Okay, I read it, I understand it!

But, the whole projekt is a development projekt! It looks for me, that the developer have much to do with getting WiFi 7 to run on the R4-Mainboard!

I did not know about your internet connection, but this system R4 + WiFi 7 board should have a low power consumption over all.

12V:

Distributors: I use Joom: https://www.joom.com/en

The special on Joom, they have in short time intervals discounts. I checked it, they should deliver to philippines! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the advice!

Lol one problem when making an x86_64 router would be the power supply, imagine using a generic one non stop for 5 months itā€™ll probably explode

EDIT:For now Iā€™ll use something like the Realtek RTL8822CE

Why do You think this is a sime kind of problem? Are You new in computers or something?

Iā€™ve been into computers since 9, no itā€™s not a problem for me but Iā€™m just in a tight budget to buy a PSU with 80+ marked on it

You will not be able to use hardware acceleration on this combination.

The mcpie connections used here are using 2 lanes each (not standard pinout). Any adapter you find pcie to mpcie will only be 1 lane. So theoretically you will not reach full speed.

Also looking the price of 2 special adapters and the price of a R4 main boardā€¦

isnt it possible to connect the two adaptors in different connectors? like this image (low budget edit please dont judge me) EDIT: i know we can connect the PCIe X1 to an PCIe X16

The mpcie to pcie adapters only have 1 lane.The wifi card uses 2 x 2 lanes. It may (or may not) work only using 2 x 1 lanes, who knowsā€¦ But definitely slower.

Also hardware offloading wifi to lan cannot be done (if you want to use it) on the x86. All through the cpu then.

Probably also all lan to lan traffic will go through cpu on your x86. While on R4 it will go through the dsa switch, without bothering the cpu too much. Even routed wan to lan should be able to be hardware offloaded (hw-nat)

All that and considering that 2 mpcie adapters is already half the price of a R4 board.

ARM chip on R4 can even compete with a modern high speed x86? Hmm very much doubt it.

ASIARF now offers complete solutionā€¦

Yes: