Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 BE14 - Pigtails and Antennas

Are they though? The Antsym ones are cheap enough to try against the official BPI-R4 antennas, which is what I might do and post the results.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExrbOVF

Those would be the best one, three with 10cm and three with 15cm, but this case project is bs and You have to put all cables in shitty way, i hate this .

1 Like

I don’t think the bottleneck right now will be pigtails and higher dBi antennas. We don’t even have a proper stable driver yet :slight_smile: If you really want top performance you should probably wait for BE19000, with 14 antennas. But again, I doubt it will matter much unless you have dozens of concurrent users.

1 Like

So I tried those antennas by Antsym (5.8 GHz, single band, allegedly 8 dB) combined with RG178 pigtails. My Tx speed (from the router to the client) has stayed roughly the same at 2.05 Gpbs on the 6 GHz band 320 MHz and 1.56 on 5 GHz 160 MHz. However the Rx speed went up from 920–930 Mbps to 1.05–1.12 Gbps on both bands. All tested with the stock BPI image in close proximity. Not a dramatic improvement by any means, but an improvement nonetheless.

Pigtail length of 10 and 15 cm was barely enough for the official metal case. I’d suggest 20 and 25 cm ones for easier routing.

2 Likes

If you really want top performance you should probably wait for BE19000, with 14 antennas.

Is it confirmed or still in the hope stages that this is actually being released?

Your answer is in this chat:

This is NOT the chat for BE14 or BE19 wifi module.

→ This is the chat for:

“BE14 - Pigtails and Antennas”

:wink:

2 Likes

This chat was established for someone who wanted to know how long the pigtails should be.

The problem is, you mostly buy the pigtails and antennas together with the BE14 board. That’s why it’s good to think about it beforehand (If you even care about). First time “right” …

For me, it’s not about the bottleneck. And yes, BE19 is better.

What changed my mind about “one antenna for all” is this post by Dale:

Betonmischer tested it in close range:

It depends on your use case what is enough for you!

1 Like

This is NOT the chat for BE14 or BE19 wifi module.

:roll_eyes: It was an aside reply to a comment posted here as I hadn’t heard anything about the BE19 until the person mentioned it so was curious. It’s as tangentially related to this topic as your comment “Sounds interesting … why do you want do build an x86_64 system? I thought x84 is dying. :face_with_monocle:” was in the thread you directed me to for the Wifi 7 Module design. That’s kind of how discussions work.

Yes, I’m curious too, just like you :wink:. And I make mistakes because of it :eyes:.

But I also realize the importance of staying on topic. It’s not meant to be evil!

The common chats about (BE14) BE19 release date are closed. The people are waiting and are impatient for any information about it. I wanted to put out the fire before the house burns :fire:. If you interested in it, start a new topic :+1: I didn’t want this chat to be closed because of too many different topics…

1 Like

You will change your mind again.

@KosVas tested several antennas:

Hi. I bought this product https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005007523900753.html?spm=a2g2w.orderdetail.0.0.2fcb4aa6kYnJBT&sku_id=12000041139429865 But the board is different from the original in the photo and video. Some elements are not soldered. Is this ok? ))

https://youtu.be/hg5pSbc_C68?si=77shEJDUVtInkf4a&t=69

Other topics (more suitable) are closed for some reason.

Edit: offtopic,but answered here: Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 BE14 - missing components - #2 by simon

My board is missing those SMDs too. It’s common practice for electronics manufacturers to cut out superfluous components going from a prototype to a release product. Nothing to worry about.

Sorry to tell you that, but their is an explanation why the other (more suitable) topics are closed:

Because these people have done what you have done :face_with_peeking_eye:

As you have already noticed is this the chat for pigtails and antennas. NOT for missing components!

I created a new chat for your topic:

The button to create a new topic is on the main page at the bottom right :slightly_smiling_face::

grafik

https://forum.banana-pi.org/

There are several tri-band dipole antennas for WiFi 7 from different brands for sale on Mouser:

Here they sell the new tri-band dipole antenna for WiFi 7 from ALFA Network:

Information

I have asked ALFA Network on their official website if this new WiFi 7 antenna really exists and if Rockland is an authorized distributor and they answered me this:

What’s the best antenna I could buy

I think these pigtails with right angle RP-SMA connector and RG178 cable would be better for BPI-R4 and BPI-R3 than the regular ones, maybe the length of the cables should be 20 cm for BPI-R4 and 25 cm for BPI-R3:

AliExpress Links:

To pass the antenna wires under the board and make it look nice and clean, as @as_jt shows here:

About the tri-band antennas mentioned above, I don’t know, someone has to buy the antennas and test them in the real world, maybe @VA1DER can find out by looking at the datasheets.

According to @VA1DER the order of the antennas from the best to good, would be like this:

Dipole antenna

1. Taoglas: GW.52.A153 ---------------------------------- (Datasheet)
  2. TE Connectivity: ANT-W63WS6-IPW1-RPS ----- (Datasheet)
  3. KYOCERA AVX: X1005800-W5DRMB ------------- (Datasheet)
  4. Amphenol RF: ST1228-40-501-A ------------------- (Datasheet)
  5. Taoglas: GW.59.3153 ----------------------------------- (Datasheet)
  6. Joymax: TWX-614XRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  7. Joymax: TWX-180BRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  8. Joymax: TWX-721XRS3B ----------------------------- (Datasheet)
  9. ALFA Network: ARS-NT5B7 -------------------------- (Datasheet)

Monopole antenna

I’ve added one of the best monopole antennas in case anyone wants to test it.

Information about dipole and monopole antennas:

wow, theyre expensive, are they charging for 1 antenna or 2

“Cheap is expensive”

The older ARS-NT5B dual band antenna from ALFA Network is cheap on eBay:

Maybe you can buy three ARS-NT5B dual band antennas for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and three tri-band antennas mentioned in the next post for the 6/7 GHz band.

And if you want the best antennas for all bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6/7 GHz) then buy 6 good tri-band antennas, although it will be more expensive.

1 Like