Banana Pi BPI-R4 Wifi 7 BE14 - Pigtails and Antennas

On Aliexpress I see two different antennas for the BE14:

What is the official one? And what kind of antennas are this (omnidirectional or directional antennas)?

But In general, three of the six antennas pigtail cables are shorter than the others:

Which antenna cable is connected to which port? And how long are this cables?

Is it worth to think about “special” antennas for each port?:

→ 2 x 2.4/5G (ANT0, ANT1)

→ 1 x 5G (ANT2)

→ 3 x 6G (ANT3, ANT4, ANT5)

Or are that naive calculations because of Wifi 7?

Today, I have to answer myself.

I watched a video that I already know:

Assuming the video is correct, these are the “right” Wi-Fi 7 antennas:

The video mentions that:

→ the short cables are for 6 GHz

→ and the long ones are for 2.4/5 GHz

The other antennas are used for the 5G module.

Why it is that the short pigtails are meant for 6G? They seem to be the same kind of coaxial cable. I can’t imagine the 6G radio to be sensitive to the extra inch of length. Laptop NICs regularly have to deal with longer antenna cables. It must be for convenience of routing the wires inside of the metal enclosure.

First of all, I don’t have that much practical experience with this topic. I haven’t made any measurements myself! In general, shorter is usually better.

“I can’t imagine the 6G radio being sensitive to an extra inch of length.” I think it is relevant, but the question is how much of a difference it makes. → The decision to place all the 6G antennas on one side is something we could discuss. It seems like it might be influenced by cable length. They may have had to choose between the best antenna placement and shorter cables (because of the simple enclosure).

There has been some discussion about the different aspects of Wi-Fi (cables, antenna type, and placement). I will not link all chats, but this thread is a good starting point for exploring the topic further:

Here’s why I doubt the antennas are the best choice for everyone:

Therefore, the “equipment” for the BPI-R4 is aimed at people who might want an easy introduction to this topic, such as programmers and end consumers. It will definitely work!

A good example of how “easy” the included equipment is can be seen in the antenna cables. They don’t even use RG178 cables…

If you want a significantly better Wi-Fi 7 router, you’ll need to build your own case with good cooling for the BE14 module, use special cables, and potentially use special antennas with optimal placement. This will take extra time and some additional money. :slightly_smiling_face:

Following your advice, I reassembled the router with short pigtails all connected to 6G and the corresponding antennas on one side. I saw 5G figures go from 1.05 to 1.15 Gbps. 6G didn’t improve and I’m still not too happy with the throughput of 2 Gbps tops in 802.11be 320 Mhz. Although, that could be my wireless NIC (Qualcomm NCM865). Swapping antennas and cables for better ones seems promising too.

Those pigtails are cheap, on market there are better one for not much more money. I’ve mixes outputs little bit , on one side i have on sides two dual frequency with middle one 6gig, and same on other side. Besides that placement of antennas hokes aren’t good - two of ther are directly over pcb screws. Not to mention about leading those cables… Madness.

I have a similar question about the exact specs of the connectors on the board. I’ve got an MT7922A22M that is supposed to be using the MHF4 antenna connector, but the pigtails from the BE14 antenna kit do not fit.

So what connector type does the BE14 board use for the antennae?

Should be this:

→ uFL / u.FL / IPX / IPEX1

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001944003352.html

Thank you very much. BTW, the item page defaults to the SMA Female adapter on the other end, which I think would not work - we’d need SMA Male to go into the antennae.

Yes, if you you want to use the original antenna, it has to be a SMA male:

I did not have the BE14 yet. But I checked the video:

grafik

Unfortunately I cannot change the link!. The only thing I can do is this:

1 Like

So I read the thread on choosing antennas for BPI-R3 and decided to try ones from Antsym. Only problem is, those are 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. I could use the same 5.8 GHz antennas for 6 GHz band too as they seem to be an overall improvement over the stock ones. Still, would someone recommend a proven brand to look for 6 GHz options?

Why not to buy dedicated from sinovoip? Good enough .

Are they though? The Antsym ones are cheap enough to try against the official BPI-R4 antennas, which is what I might do and post the results.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExrbOVF

Those would be the best one, three with 10cm and three with 15cm, but this case project is bs and You have to put all cables in shitty way, i hate this .

1 Like

I don’t think the bottleneck right now will be pigtails and higher dBi antennas. We don’t even have a proper stable driver yet :slight_smile: If you really want top performance you should probably wait for BE19000, with 14 antennas. But again, I doubt it will matter much unless you have dozens of concurrent users.