Banana Pi BPI-R4 Power facility

Hi everyone,

I would like to connect an HDD 3.5 to the Banana Pi BPI-R4. For that, i would like to use the XH-4PIN connector with the 12V output. Does anybody knows how many amp can it deliver ?

I took a look to the schema, it’s plugged to a MP2338GTL chip and the datasheet seems to say 2 amp…

More generally, i would like precisions on the power capacity of this board. It can take 12V/5A, 19V/3A, 20V by USB-C PD and 20V onboard input (5A also i guess). Are all of these option functional ? Does it affect the card’s behavior ? The 5V pin for the fan, how much can it deliver ?

i’ve got a project that is greedy in energy and searching how to provide like 10A at 12V

Hi, Charly

The SATA_05V on the SATA socket comes from +5VD. +5VD can provide about 9A of current, but this is for the entire board (including USB, PMIC, 26pIN Header and FAN), so it is not recommended that SATA_05V draw more than 3Amp, otherwise it will affect the system.

SATA_12V comes from MP2338GTL as you said, and can provide 3Amp.

In fact, the power supply voltage that R4 can accept is 9~24V, but the power consumption of R4 is relatively large. When the voltage is too low, the current required increases, which may easily lead to voltage instability and shutdown or restart. Therefore, it is recommended that if you do not use a WiFi network card, Use a 12V power adapter. but use a 19V power adapter when the WiFi NIC card is inserted

For the USB-C, we use a USB PD chip, which will automatically negotiate a 20V voltage output.

And for 12V/10A, there is no socket on our board that can meet this specification. so We may need to find another way.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.

I though about a power supply of 19V/6A (~100W), plug it in the DCIN and take it back on the card. Is there a way to do that ? I suppose the DC 20V input can’t be used as an output… or maybe weld a wire on the DCIN pin directly ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There is no need for such a high-power power supply. With the WiFi NIC and all peripherals plugged in, the power consumption can reach 60W in the worst case.

But it will not exceed 30W when the WiFi NIC is not plugged in.

If you do not use 10G SFPs and USB3.0, the power consumption will not exceed 20W.

Of course, the additional HDD power consumption requires additional.

DCIN and DC20V are isolated. If you want the DC20V as an output, you can short-circuit D7 and remove R80.

2 Likes

In this case, remember that USB-C must not be plugged into any power adapter or computer! ! !

WHAT. You’ll connect like 10 HDDs or what?^^ How about an external Power Source for that specific part of the Project? Then you dont need to route the 10A over the Board and burn something.

I’m not an electrician. But what about a 20V 150W Power Supply to the DC in and a separate 100W DC/DC step down converter from 20V to 12V? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003811194443.html

Oh WoW. I think the Maximum i reached in the BPI-R3 was something around 10W. The 10Gbit does need quite a bit of Power. And WiFi7 as well… Phew. Tanks for the Infos

I’m thinking about this indeed. I’m just afraid of the track’s width… I’ll test that and see if that works.

I could plug the power supply on another connector off-board but this board already has a power connector and that would be confusing seeing 2 power connectors on the same rear panel…

I want to do like a NAS with almost infinite possibilities chaining USB devices like 3.5 HDD. Each of these consuming 10W, the BPI-R4 60W… yeah let’s round it to 100W for 4 HDD

… and maybe plugging a video card, with a riser like this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003483136650.html

Yeah… nope not gonna happen. You got two PCI-E 3.0 2Lanes Connectors on the Back of the Board for WiFI Module. Not sure if both Together are 2 Lanes or 2x 2 Lanes. But either way thats not enough for a decent GPU. But that does sound like a fairly interesting Project. Please tell us more if you indeed manage to get it running.

For Power Issue i’d recommend a separate PicoPSU You could use the 12V input. Something like this:

or That:

Then you would have Normal Input for BPI-R4 and HDD’s directly on the PSU. No Problems with Load on the Board.

Thank you for the advice. It’s just an idea at the moment, i want to run HDD first

I guess my thought is why? Why plug in a power-hungry, excessively large and slower HDD when an SSD is what you should be using? All this noise for nothing…

To recycle my HDD’s.

if they are 2.5" a better option would be this.

USB 4Bay 2.5" docking station

1 Like

unfortunately it’s 3.5 HDD’s And it’s not the main purpose. I want to make a home router like old hifi systems, stacking module, you see ?