Banana Pi BPI-R4 BPI-BE14 Wi-Fi7 NIC module

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807168183483.html

Be carful, you have ot click on the board:

grafik

2 Likes

Prices went up it seems. For example was just $13 for the antennas and now it’s $22.

Just wait, but also take a look on those pigtais - are them good quality? I’m curious about power loss factor , since i have better one .

Thanks! There is something I don’t understand, in some stores there is text like this:

Just choose a 12V3A power supply for regular use. If you need to use WIFI 7 or 5G module, choose a 12V5A power supply.

Regarding your test in combination with some other tests in the OpenWrt forum I calculate a consumption of 3W idle + 4W peak = 7W maximum for the Wi-Fi 7-card. (+4W idle + 3W SFP+ -copper transceiver) What would make a peak consumption / power supply of 36W necessary let alone one of 60W? Are 5G-cards that power hungry?

5G-cards are not that power hungry (otherwise your phone wouldn’t last long). I think they says that to be 200% sure that you will never have problems and the small cost increase is not a big deal. Anyways I’m powering my R4 with a 65W usb-c charger (20V3.25A).

they do not deliver to Germany :expressionless:

you can contact [email protected]

2 Likes

Hi, is this NIC module available for purchase? I checked both the Sinovoip and Bipai AliExpress stores and both show it to be out of stock. I would like to buy the R4 but I need the NIC module as well.

This chat is full of information about that topic. We talked about that just 2 days ago:

And an even better question is it working … how good is it working …

Your previous reply advertises a third-party seller fulfilling “pre-orders” for a “release” on September 9. I do not want to place so-called pre-orders on third-party sellers. I do not trust them to fulfill the order, nor do I wish to wait that long.

The selling of R4 motherboard is going on a long time. The start of selling WiFi7 NIC board took place just some weeks ago! There was a short time were a small amount of the boards were released. Now there are sold out.

“I do not want to place so-called pre-orders on third-party sellers”

→ I had never problems with any seller on AliExpress. But I also would not preorder something. It was to show you that you have to wait …

“I do not trust them to fulfill the order, nor do I wish to wait that long.”

→ There are relly many people who want that board (including me). Any I also want more than one board …

September are some months … it is not long to wait. Maybe someone will sell it earlier :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’ve just placed my order for card + antennas…

It said ‘buy now’ (in german) so hopefully it’ll be shipped ASAP.

Hmm.

It appears that there are two listings.

One said pre-order, the other (which i chose) does not.

Sadly, it seems this is (another) case of deceptive marketing. I’ve just gone and checked, and dissapointingly, it says it will ship (not arrive) on sept. 09, same as the preorder link.

Disappointing.

I only hope the wifi card works as well as the bpi itself does. That’s a lot of money to me.

Looks like there were some patches I missed when porting to mainline, but it does not work even after adding those.

@frank-w I build a Debian image using your image builder using bookworm with a 6.10-main kernel. Afterwards I added the firmware from the mediatek git (the _233 suffix versions but also tried the ones from your git just in case) and everything works great (thermals, leds and a quick test of 2x2mimo WiFi 6e on 160MHz iperf3 to my phone goes up to 1.5-1.6Gbps from the previous 1-1.2 on the vendor SDK so basically on par with the old mt7916 cards using the same settings).

However, I noticed something strange in the reported (EHT) capabilities:

• 3x3 MIMO (3NSS) and MCS12-13 is only reported for <=80MHz
  • 3x3 MIMO (3NSS) without MCS12-13 is reported for 160MHz
  • 320 MHz is not supported at all although Beamfromee SS (320MHz) is 3 and everything else (Non-OFDMA UL MU-MIMO, MU-Beamformer) are supported for 320MHz.

Is that something the firmware reports or something not yet present in the driver/main branch? The sinovoip images/vendor SDK actually only report 2 streams and max NSS in iw is 0 everywhere, and the card still does something, so not sure if that info is critical.

Sorry for the dump but maybe this helps

EHT Iftypes: AP
        EHT MAC Capabilities (0x0300):
                NSEP priority access Supported
                EHT OM Control Supported
        EHT PHY Capabilities: (0xea6d92fe20610c7e):
                320MHz in 6GHz Supported
                NDP With  EHT-LTF And 3.2 µs GI
                SU Beamformer
                SU Beamformee
                Beamformee SS (80MHz): 3
                Beamformee SS (160MHz): 3
                Beamformee SS (320MHz): 3
                Number Of Sounding Dimensions (80MHz): 2
                Number Of Sounding Dimensions (160MHz): 2
                Number Of Sounding Dimensions (320MHz): 2
                Ng = 16 SU Feedback
                Ng = 16 MU Feedback
                Codebook size (4, 2) SU Feedback
                Codebook size (7, 5) MU Feedback
                Triggered SU Beamforming Feedback
                Triggered MU Beamforming Partial BW Feedback
                Triggered CQI Feedback
                Max Nc: 2
                Non-Triggered CQI Feedback
                Common Nominal Packet Padding: 2
                Maximum Number Of Supported EHT-LTFs: 17
                Support of MCS 15: 1
                Non-OFDMA UL MU-MIMO (80MHz)
                Non-OFDMA UL MU-MIMO (160MHz)
                Non-OFDMA UL MU-MIMO (320MHz)
                MU Beamformer (80MHz)
                MU Beamformer (160MHz)
                MU Beamformer (320MHz)
        EHT MCS/NSS: (0x33333333333333333300000000):
        EHT bw <= 80 MHz, max NSS for MCS 8-9: Rx=3, Tx=3
        EHT bw <= 80 MHz, max NSS for MCS 10-11: Rx=3, Tx=3
        EHT bw <= 80 MHz, max NSS for MCS 12-13: Rx=3, Tx=3
        EHT bw=160 MHz, max NSS for MCS 8-9: Rx=3, Tx=3
        EHT bw=160 MHz, max NSS for MCS 10-11: Rx=3, Tx=3
        EHT bw=160 MHz, max NSS for MCS 12-13: Rx=0, Tx=0
        EHT bw=320 MHz, max NSS for MCS 8-9: Rx=0, Tx=0
        EHT bw=320 MHz, max NSS for MCS 10-11: Rx=0, Tx=0
        EHT bw=320 MHz, max NSS for MCS 12-13: Rx=0, Tx=0

It is a testing firmware so of course it can report things that are not yet reported by driver…we have su collect these things and report back to mediatek (author of the code patch)

I’m not deep enough in the wifi things to checkk all these settings…may you report it directly (cc me and daniel)?

Do you have an official email for such feedback or should I just email directly to the author of the patch (Shayne Chen I guess?). For your email, I guess the same applies, taking the one from github is fine?

Right. There was only an email between mtk,me and daniel/john/lorenzo. No official one…i told that we do some tests and report back.just take me in cc and target to shayne chen,i forward it to the others.

did the email reach you or did I spam random people via email?