Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design

Can you please share a 3d model of the case? someone please? the board is not useful without the case

I found a “starter case” with fansink for R4 on aliexpress:

Case with and without fan:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006541585546.html

Fansink alone:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006544838058.html

Cons:

• The acrylic case has no holes for wifi antennas or 5G cellular modem (DIY).
  • The thermal pads beneath the fansink (DDR4 and eMMC) are looking thick.

Pros:

• 3 pin PWM fan matching with R4
  • fansink will be be easily installed via push pins
  • price okay?
3 Likes

Any update on availability? Also will there be optional support for extra 4/5G antennas? I’m using RM-520N-GL which has 4 antennas.

thats a nice start, but we need a 3d printed case with antenna holes

imho both can be easily fixed :slight_smile: holes can be drilled and we can also use thinner thermal pads…maybe someone can measure the needed height to each chip…for me it looks like all chips have same height except the soc is ~0.5mm higher in the middle. so using there 0.5mm for it and 1mm for the others may work.

good that they leave space on bottom for wifi-card and nvme (maybe including heatsink), access to these needs bottom cover to be removed.

I have no R4, but checked the chip packages. The pictures are really good to see. For Samsung DDR4 RAM and eMMC Package the heights should be correct.

This is the overview:

In case something is wrong, please write back!

With the CPU height (MT7988AV) I had problems:

What is sure → 21 x 21 mm. It has an BGA with 916 possible balls, but only 819 are being used. The ball pitch is 0,65mm. All this I took from the schematics.

Gemini AI estimated that the chip height is natural 1 mm, but metal heat spreader adds additional 0,5 mm.

=> 1,5 mm in summary

→ so frank, you are as good as the AI (No, YOU are better :slightly_smiling_face:)

May be the thermal pads they are using are very soft … :+1:. Hopefully they are well heat conductive too.

I found an abbreviation for the metal on the top or for the whole package: HFCMIP

= High-Frequency Chip-on-Board Module Integrated Package?

or

= Heat Flux Cavity Micro-Integrated Package?

→ not sure what is right …

3 Likes

Hi where can i get a sample unit of this Case?

I just bought a raspberry pi 4 for my dad that went very high in cpu stress without cooling (it was even throttled, means 85°C and above). Then i used the case i bought from Produkte | Joy-IT and its crazy but its passive cooled and did not get over 40°C in stress. Something like that would be awesome for the R4! They have some holes and vents in the case (e.g. for better air flow). Even wifi works!

5 Likes

can you show inside? are there also connections from cpu->case like the product above in mentioned has? from the outside it looks great! is there any ETA/roadmap when this will be available?

I would love to have a cooler/case like this for the R4 Produkte | Joy-IT - basically a full aluminum or copper heatsink - with the appropriate cavities on the bottom to fit on the various chips that need to be cooled. Plus, thermal pads between the chips and the heatsink.

The same for the backside and the Wifi NIC, that would be perfect in my eyes.

Until such heatsink becomes available, this is my current free airflow setup. :slight_smile: Mounted to a perforated plate used in my distribution cabinet. Unfortunately the hole spacing didn’t match, so I had to improvise.

Is that module a Zyxel PM7010-R0 by any chance? I would put some heatsinks on the SFP cages as well.

LuLeey LL-XS2510 GPON module.

Thanks for the advice. Got some spare heatsinks from the sets I ordered. Wanted to setup proper temperature monitoring in LuCi first to see if it is necessary.

Case landed on ali for preorder, took one , premiere is planned for 30 april or something.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGbMEVt

Is there a chance to get this on Joom? I’m from Germany…

Don’t know, i’m from Poland but i work in Germany, i’ve ordered mine to home in Poland. Maybe this is good idea to order more and sell on kleinanzeigen :E .

Can you order one for me and send it to me the next time you are in Germany? I will send you the money via Paypal?

Hello,

the case is only:

grafik

Aliexpress has none of this cases yet! But they are the first who make the people crazy about it :crazy_face:!

The other international sellers may also ordered the cases but do not talk about it! They will also sell this boxes! I’m sure :+1:

If not, you can also buy it direct at china shops over parcelup or super buy. But this will cost a bit more … .

Anyone have already this metal case? I need to know if there is enough place above sim trays for small oled display.

:+1: I love your idea,

The case already on sale now.

About 22mm, How do you want to fix it? And can you drill the holes yourself?