Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design

Is there a chance to get this on Joom? I’m from Germany…

Don’t know, i’m from Poland but i work in Germany, i’ve ordered mine to home in Poland. Maybe this is good idea to order more and sell on kleinanzeigen :E .

Can you order one for me and send it to me the next time you are in Germany? I will send you the money via Paypal?

Hello,

the case is only:

grafik

Aliexpress has none of this cases yet! But they are the first who make the people crazy about it :crazy_face:!

The other international sellers may also ordered the cases but do not talk about it! They will also sell this boxes! I’m sure :+1:

If not, you can also buy it direct at china shops over parcelup or super buy. But this will cost a bit more … .

Anyone have already this metal case? I need to know if there is enough place above sim trays for small oled display.

:+1: I love your idea,

The case already on sale now.

About 22mm, How do you want to fix it? And can you drill the holes yourself?

Shit … Not much place to make nice things :frowning: i’ve thougt about this 256*64 pix tiny oled but there is not enough space . Have to rethink this, maybe You can find some nice oled? The case i’ve ordered already , since i have two bpi’s there will be fun for sure.

Maybe put display in top of case? Thats how i do for r3…

Nope, i have devious plan to make rack 1u 19" case just like mikrotik rb3011 with screen on front plus two places for 3.5/2.5 " hdd’s. Yep i love my rb3011 :).

Then you have more width and height on the 19" front-panel so that the display can be held there…just add connector to the r4 case

Yep that’s it , but at first i wanted to make this screen on this official case.for my travel router.

is the mentioned aliexpress link above with connectors to the antennas? so i only need antennas?

I don’t think so…only 1 picture shows the cables,so i’m nearly sure it is the case only

Hello, I signed up just because of your post. Turns out the sign-up process is super fast which I should probably have done much earlier. lol

You seem to have found a very gd solution to CPU heatsink IMO. If I get it right, your heatsink is 50x50x10mm. Covers lot of area and more than enough. Everything seems a near perfect fit. I only have one concern since I don’t have R4 on hands yet.

There is a “2R2” SMD inductor which could be 3mm or taller. Does it cause any trouble to your heatsink? Prevent it from lying flat and pressure from evenly applied?

this one looks huge, but it is “only” 2mm

1 Like

Good to hear. If 2mm only, seems not to cause trouble to the heatsink.

I measured 1,8 mm. This is higher than all other components which should be cooled! Only with the thermal pads you came over that value … .

For the people who want to use thermal paste (which is not recommended because of the hight differences of the chips) they will get a problems!

It looks like you are after a passive solution?

Becase the fan on aliexpress will not have these problems :

grafik

But I’m not sure that the fan is or will working for all purpose. But there are guys here who can tell you that :wink:.

1 Like

i have the fan from aliexpress too, but have it not yet working…tried now on my 1.0 board, but no spinning (tried setting all thermal_trip-temps to 20 °C)

1.8mm sounds great. Even less to worry then.

I’m also considering this heatsink/fan combo. The heatsink from this combo is a very nice fit. The fan has no specification provided. I assume it’s a very average fan. My main concern is the fan is too little/weak for generating a meaningful amount of airflow inside the case not just the SoC.

So I’m planning on a bigger heatsink, initially used as passive dissipation. But leave the headroom for stacking a bigger and better 10mm-thick fan in future. Originally I want to buy a fan at the same time but I found that it’s not easy to find one without modding and will be penalised for yet buying from another separate shop.

I don’t need the fan for my immediate application which is a wired 1Gbps router. Will stay like that for a couple of years. But R4 is so powerful that I’m afraid it’ll stay with me for 10+ years and keeps expanding in functionalities and heat generated over its lifespan. LOL

:flushed:, :roll_eyes:

this sounds not good …

Does anyone know if this fan is working with pwm at all. May be by checking with R3?