Banana Pi BPI-R4 heatsink and Case design

50mm x 50mm, and ~2mm of the ram/emmc aren’t covered, which are accounted for via a thermal pad

unfortunately, there is 0mm of space between the heatsink and fan header, so in order to align with the mounting holes + fully cover ram/emmc it would need to be an asymmetrical shape

1 Like

I have a decent camera, and a tripod, but no automated means of rotating the device itself at the moment - when I have a moment I will check out meshroom, as it could be quite generally helpful if I can use it to generate models that could be sliced for my printer; thanks for the share

Banana Pi BPI-R4 Opensource Router board case design,sample ready.

5 Likes

How does it look from other sides? Imho some ventilation holes are needed

This is the result of stressing all cores with these heatsinks. I’m using Daniel’s repo. I also ported LVTS driver to 6.1 kernel for the thermal sensors to work

1 Like

But without having the board in a closed case,right? I remember some users uad issues with r3 case too because of missing ventilation holes

Right, without case. I assume closed case would add another 10 degrees

I think more if you use also SFP+, specially 10BaseT transceiver (they can reach 70C).

Right, adding more peripherals would increase the heat significantly

My modification is here

@dangowrt do you want to add this to your PR?

Could you try using the mainline-version of lvts driver? It makes backporting other changes easier.

Also i miss the infracfg reset,but afair this was not needed in sdk version

I didn’t even check if there’s a mainline version! Did some unnecessary work. Never mind. Ignore the commit

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/thermal/mediatek/lvts_thermal.c

Should have mt7988 parts since 6.6

I have to rework the ifracfg reset part as the main resets start at 0x70 but you can start using the current version from daniels wip tree or from patchwork

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-mediatek/patch/[email protected]/

Yea I saw that now. I should have looked first. Never mind, it was easy

new BPI-R4 case sample :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a full metal case?? How about heat sink & fan?

Looks nice ! Now i want one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I personalny like the look of espressobin ultra design.

Question is how are you going to cool the daughter board, I think it’s better if you went abs instead of full metal and made a mesh grille at the top for better airflow

Maybe you could utilise peltier cooling with a fan, these should work quite well on both motherboard and daughter board or even air jets

I definitely need one of these! Any ETA on it?