Banana Pi BPI-R4 BPI-BE14 Wi-Fi7 NIC module

Finally also got my 2 cards, I have not had the time to compile openwrt with patches for the 3 interfaces (and I guess I would still not get EHT mode in openwrt as it is?) but using the MP4 image I can confirm the “bug” of only seeing 1Gbps but at least I managed to test with a 10G SFP cable and its not iperf3 (almost the full 10G are reached).

Can anyone using a current openwrt snapshot with franks patches confirm they get higher numbers (I had ~1.5 with the devices next to each other like this using two mt7916 cards).

Is it possible to add driver for be14 nic to snapshot opewrt ?

Wifi 7 module showed up on ali in preorder. Since i need three i’ll hold lil bit to get it on lower price and since there is some work to do , so no rush.

What store? I looked sinovoip and bpai stores, but said out of stock.

In previous testing, I noticed the eeprom contents (as read by the driver, and my driver has some changes pulled in from upstream mtk owrt trees), appeared to be mostly empty, and also had same MAC address for the two different NICs I was able to buy earlier. I was told by bpi4 folks to use eFUSE. Is that the same thing as what the driver would read as ‘eeprom’?

And, for those of you who have this radio booting, what MAC addrs do you see?

I manually edited the eeprom binary and loaded it from disk and so changed the MAC on my second system, but I am worried that the rest of the radio calibration data is also generic/wrong…

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807168183483.html

Be carful, you have ot click on the board:

grafik

2 Likes

Prices went up it seems. For example was just $13 for the antennas and now it’s $22.

Just wait, but also take a look on those pigtais - are them good quality? I’m curious about power loss factor , since i have better one .

Thanks! There is something I don’t understand, in some stores there is text like this:

Just choose a 12V3A power supply for regular use. If you need to use WIFI 7 or 5G module, choose a 12V5A power supply.

Regarding your test in combination with some other tests in the OpenWrt forum I calculate a consumption of 3W idle + 4W peak = 7W maximum for the Wi-Fi 7-card. (+4W idle + 3W SFP+ -copper transceiver) What would make a peak consumption / power supply of 36W necessary let alone one of 60W? Are 5G-cards that power hungry?

5G-cards are not that power hungry (otherwise your phone wouldn’t last long). I think they says that to be 200% sure that you will never have problems and the small cost increase is not a big deal. Anyways I’m powering my R4 with a 65W usb-c charger (20V3.25A).

they do not deliver to Germany :expressionless:

you can contact [email protected]

2 Likes

Hi, is this NIC module available for purchase? I checked both the Sinovoip and Bipai AliExpress stores and both show it to be out of stock. I would like to buy the R4 but I need the NIC module as well.

This chat is full of information about that topic. We talked about that just 2 days ago:

And an even better question is it working … how good is it working …

Your previous reply advertises a third-party seller fulfilling “pre-orders” for a “release” on September 9. I do not want to place so-called pre-orders on third-party sellers. I do not trust them to fulfill the order, nor do I wish to wait that long.

The selling of R4 motherboard is going on a long time. The start of selling WiFi7 NIC board took place just some weeks ago! There was a short time were a small amount of the boards were released. Now there are sold out.

“I do not want to place so-called pre-orders on third-party sellers”

→ I had never problems with any seller on AliExpress. But I also would not preorder something. It was to show you that you have to wait …

“I do not trust them to fulfill the order, nor do I wish to wait that long.”

→ There are relly many people who want that board (including me). Any I also want more than one board …

September are some months … it is not long to wait. Maybe someone will sell it earlier :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’ve just placed my order for card + antennas…

It said ‘buy now’ (in german) so hopefully it’ll be shipped ASAP.

Hmm.

It appears that there are two listings.

One said pre-order, the other (which i chose) does not.

Sadly, it seems this is (another) case of deceptive marketing. I’ve just gone and checked, and dissapointingly, it says it will ship (not arrive) on sept. 09, same as the preorder link.

Disappointing.

I only hope the wifi card works as well as the bpi itself does. That’s a lot of money to me.

Looks like there were some patches I missed when porting to mainline, but it does not work even after adding those.