Banana Pi BPI-R3 SD Card detection boot failure debugging batch correlation

So there seems to be a problem with some r3 boards not detecting the SD Card correctly when booting. The issues also seems to occur on reboot. The problem seems to be known already . So I tried to narrow it down a little bit. I have r3’s from different batches, and one batch seems to fail to boot way more often. I tried with two different SD Cards. I tested on multiple Banana Pi R3 v1.1 batch 2311 boards and multiple Bananapi R3 v1.1 batch 2347 boards.

td;dr: the boards from batch 2347 fail with the same SD Cards, which boot fine on batch 2311, so I suspect some hardware design issue combined with manufacturing tolerences?

I’ve documented in depth, including more details and complete boot logs in this pad > Banana Pi R3 SD Card boot issue documentation debugging - HedgeDoc

Do you have any ideas how I could narrow this down some more?

Which batches of boards are more prone to failure? Maybe @Itay has some input here on which batch you have issues with?

Any more data points would be welcome, maybe we can help figuring this out.

Probably related Issues

From OpenWrt Forum

I noticed problems on software reboot…also had 2 times with nvme (not detected in linux after sw reboot),mmc issue seem only in uboot,but also on sw reboot

do you have multiple boards failing ? know which batch they are from?

Noticed the sdcard issue on all my boards,but not sure i can look for the batch number as boards are in cases

And these are very rarely with my sandisk cards