Banana Pi BPI-R3 OpenWRT image

But does the MT7975PN as AP mode works in 5 GHz or 6GHz? If it does work with just one band at a time I can live with it for now…

Did you hear about the Pineapple 6 M.2 key B+M radio card It is supposed to works in 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz at the same time, I’m thinking about it now since you told that the MT7975PN won’t work with 5 and 6 GHz at the same time…

The link for this WiFi card: https://shop.8devices.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=155

5ghz only (5180-5865)

Have added full capability in my wiki:

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r3:wlan

1 Like

Can you tell if the internal WiFi 5 GHz will pass more then 1Gb speed since it is WiFi 6?

I guess i’m not able to test this as this needs a clean environment (no other wifi-ap), a optimized config to use all posssible channels in both bands and a wifi-client which can handle this and the speed too. I only do my work in private free time and have first and last. Maybe @dangowrt can test this

Yes, with 2T2R client (Intel AX220) on HE160 channel bandwidth I can easily reach about 1.3 GBit/s on the 5 GHz interface, even without any antennas connected to the R3 board, just holding the laptop somewhat near the board.

I’m testing the development snapshot from openwrt site and when I do a sysupgrade (sysupgrade -v /tmp/bananapi_bpi-r3-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb) it doesn’t keep my current config.

@dangowrt could you tell which SFP module are you using ? I’m trying ONTi’s (ONT-C1GE-R01) and it just stop working after some time (no errors, tested 2 modules in 2 different R3 boards, same problem…)

Thanks for pointing me to the bug with sysupgrade config restore on MMC (it worked on NAND and NOR, but I forgot to re-test MMC after adding NOR, which actually broke things…). Now it should work after

I’ve tried several 1000Base-T modules with mixed results and the recommended TP-LINK TL-SM410U which works fine. For xPON module it can be that it takes too much power…?

Wow ! that was fast :slight_smile: thanks… I will do some wire up tomorrow and test the current draw with some of these 1000 and 2500 modules and compare with R3’s regulator spec. If I remember well they’re 8A, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m now having problems finding the bluetooth, @dangowrt does the kernel config support it?

Which bluetooth? The board has not bluetooth…do you have any usb/pci-adapter for it?

I had been told it has it on board, if it does not it would be quite sad.

I have not heard it and official page does not list it too

https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-R3#Key_Features

Where have you found this information?

Btw why do you need bluetooth on a router?

Probably confusing the R3 specs with the M3. The M3 has bluetooth, but is a completely different platform.

To control IoT devices that use bluetooth.

I asked sinovoip before buying it exactly because the wiki does not list the capability.

you could use a bluetooth-usb-adapter on one of the internal usb-connectors (9-pin jacket, there are adapters 9pin2usb on ebay) or use a usb-only-card in mPCIe slot

v1.1 has a common 9pin-header where you can use multiple adapters like this:

The sinovoip rep got confused in August.

I guess adding bluetooth support would require also a custom case to fit it.

I want to how to generate the single image from source code, like these, mtk-bpi-r3-NAND-WAN1-SFP1-20220619-single-image.bin, mtk-bpi-r3-SD-WAN1-SFP1-20220619-single-image.img, after complied success, I have these files, but no one contain single-image. 2022-11-08%20161256

Using openwrt snapshot image & jumper switch to SNAND, the emmc is not working when trying to flash emmc.

Screenshot%20from%202022-11-14%2010-54-32

Using openwrt image from BPI, the emmc is detected.

Found the problem: wrong position of SW6

1 Like

hi

were you able to get the wifi 6e board to work? if so, how? I have the same set up as you (adapter and MT7921k), i just booted from NAND when board was delivered

Many Thanks