Banana Pi BPI-R3 OpenWRT image

It was a DHCPv6 related derp. It still brings up strange stuff sometimes.

So far then… good then.

It is true that WED is not enabled by default on mainline builds.

It may not be relevant for you at this point, but unlike the BPi-R64 which is based on MT7622, on the BPi-R3 based on MT7986 WED can work for both, 2.4GHz and 5GHz provided by the SoC, and also additional PCIe radio connected. And unlike MT7622 which supported only Eth->WiFi offloadring, MT7986 supports both directions.

So it has to be enabled in multiple places not only mt7915e options? Like for the MT7622, I have the Xiaomi AX3200 breed, thus many things overlap…

Well they should overlap, as exactly your code is used in both platforms lol. It just puzzles me as the name is left from different IC. Now I read the same comment from Belkin/Linksys page about the HW acceleration paths.

Shame there are no pcie mediatek nics to slap in that m.2 slot and have it HW accelerated. I need a third 2.5Gbe port. Putting an intel or realtek will hog the CPU badly like on even beefier platforms. I have ordered an adapter to try myself, but I have a feeling already how it will turn out, I have a 2.5GB M.2 AE Realtek RTL8125.

No, it’s just options for mt7915e module. MT7986 contains a dual-band Wi-Fi similar to MT7915, hence the same driver is used. MT7622 built-in Wi-Fi is more similar to MT7615 and hence doesn’t support WED. Most devices with MT7622 use MT7915E as 5 GHz radio, so there WED is supported.

Hi, I flashed the 21.01 image, it works, but cant do a Sysugrade to Snapshot.

So i used your method to flash nand, and got a Snapshot install on NAND, But cant flash it to Emmc.

There is a way to flash EMMC using “fw_setenv bootcmd”? or any other way without Serial console?

Yes, there is. You have to boot from NAND and then issue

fw_setenv bootcmd "run emmc_init ; env default bootcmd ; saveenv ; saveenv ; reset"
reboot
1 Like

Hello everyone, has anyone experimented whether openwrt’s hwoffload works on mt7986? In addition, I heard that mt7986 also supports qosoffload. How does it work?

Works like a Charm, needs to go to Wiki.

How to configure the WIFI, LTE and SDD LED? looking at the relevant DTS section there are not any GPIO associated with the “WIFI” LED.

It should all be inside actual openwrt builds. WiFi LEDs only working with recent mt76. SSD Led flashes on write access,lte Led is connected to mpcie Pin and needs supported modem

WIFI LED are working after they added CONFIG_MT76_LEDS on m76 https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/commit/679254c50f279fe4f1e3ae1fb943f0d1ecdac4ab

You may help me with an sim error i got on my r3 model with an Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2c7c:0800 Quectel RM502Q-AE, installed with a adapter M.2 Key B to Mini PCI-e NGFF M2 “https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004251364071.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.62d3194dZfPazn&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

The issue is that i see the device, it seems to work till the point that it cant find the sim no matter the port i choose it keeps on this error

post moved to new thread: [BPI-R3] Sim error OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r21666-68f983ba41 003: ID 2c7c:0800 Quectel RM502Q-AE

I have 2 x BPI-R3 with complete of antennas. I can & want to do performance test. Will the test with 2 x R3 show max performance of R3? Can you tell me how to configure boards for such test so that the results will max reliable? Is it enough to upload a ready image?

The SIM slot of the R3 has been verified by many other users by now and we know that it works, also with mPCIe-to-M.2 adapters like the one in your post (both Frank and me have tested with Sierra Wireless EM7455). Hence the problem is a general problem when using this modem with OpenWrt, and you are probably better off asking for help in the OpenWrt forum.

There a simple search for “RM502Q” revealed a couple of threads, this one looks interesting:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/rfc-wwan-uqmi-revamp/141506/5

Or you may try the branch of this user:

Just wanted to report success at getting this OpenWRT image up and running on a Banana Pi R3 v1.1. It took a few late nights to figure it all out, I have many years of experience running OpenWRT from a prepackaged firmware image for a specific model, so this was rather fuller on than that. I got a Quectel EC25-EUX up via QMI, and whilst it isn’t tested in the field yet, it looks good so far.

I noticed in all the forum comments that people have been having problems finding compatible SFP cage devices, so I thought I’d share mine. I specifically wanted 2.5G fibre SFP devices, which are extremely rare, and everybody else here and elsewhere seems to use wired SFP not fibre. After a lot of searching, I found a single vendor of them called Optcore in China, and I took a punt on ordering four of their transceivers with 50m of fibre from them. They were affordable enough, much of the cost was delivery and import duties into the EU.

I am glad to report that they are compatible with this board and with OpenWRT:

[    5.396857] sfp sfp1: module OPTCORE          OSP2488-312DCR   rev 10   sn 22I251xxxx       dc 220921
[    5.447841] sfp sfp2: module OPTCORE          OSP2488-312DCR   rev 10   sn 22I251yyyy       dc 220921
[   10.304586] mt7530 mdio-bus:1f sfp2: Link is Up - 2.5Gbps/Full - flow control off
[   10.337990] mtk_soc_eth 15100000.ethernet eth1: Link is Up - 2.5Gbps/Full - flow control off

They appear to be exchanging packets just fine, though I haven’t tested them as I have the cable running between both SFP cages. They do get a bit warm after the board has been on for a while, I suspect they consume a full 1 watt each.

Anyway, seeing as nobody else reported working fibre SFP transceiver running at the full 2.5G, I thought I’d report my findings here. Thanks to everybody who made this board happen, and also for creating the repository of answers to questions which I found very useful when setting up this board.

Niall

1 Like

OpenWRT 22.03.3 was released this past week and I was disappointed to see that BPI-R3 builds were not included with this release. This may be the wrong place to ask but what does it take to get a supported release build as opposed to relying on snapshot builds?

Edit: it looks like the kernel version in 22.x and supported modules are probably out of date for the BPI-R3. I’ll ask over on the OpenWRT forum, but is there an obvious release-engineering wiki that describes 23.x is targeting?

1 Like

Simply speaking: Time.

OpenWrt 23.xx will be branched off once all targets are using Linux 5.15. The progress is being tracked here:

I expect branching to again happen in February or March.

Once there is a branch for the 23.xx release, we will further stabilize things and subsequently publish several release candidates. Once critical bugs identified in the release candidates have been fixed, the official release will follow. This will probably happen around Q3 2023.

(this is not an official statement of the OpenWrt project but rather just the personal prediction of a single project member)

2 Likes

Hi frank, today i installed the newest open wrt snapshot.

But my LED looked like before:

IMG_20230116_035042

sys/class/leds:

Screenshot%202023-01-16%20073520

Did i have to do someting special?

Have you loaded mt76 driver and started hostapd (or whatever openwrt use)?

I used the firmware selector from open wrt:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=mediatek%2Ffilogic&id=bananapi_bpi-r3

I’m not sure how the development of the Firmware works. I thought the newest version on open wrt could may includes the LED support.

So I have to install this manually … okay :+1: Thanks