Armbian unofficial 24.5.0 fails to boot after upgrade

The Armbian unofficial 24.5.0 provided in the Banana Pi M7 documentation boots after flashing the microSD card, and I got through the setup procedure on the serial console. Once I booted the system, I performed an apt update && apt upgrade, and it worked fine. Then I rebooted the device, just to find out that it fails to boot.

It turns out upgrading the package linux-dtb-legacy-rk35xx breaks the boot procedure. I’m not certain why this is happening, but I wanted to share this, hopefully useful information.

Why don’t you use official builds from Armbian? Unofficial are not supported, are here only that you have something to boot. When sharing problems, make sure to provide all data that is possible to gather and at right place. Even with that its often difficult to fix problems.

This image is literally the only one that booted successfully on the Banana Pi M7. All other images that I found by reading the board documentation were either “not found” or failed to boot the bootloader, or failed to boot the kernel. I created other forum posts for some of these failures, and I wanted to share the information to reduce the frustration of other people booting this board.

Oh also, none of the official stable Armbian images booted either.

See: Armbian 24.8.1 (Noble GNOME, Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy, Debian 12 Bookworm) all fail to boot on Banana Pi M7

Did you try everything described here: Bug reporting - Armbian ?

PSU unit / cable is what could cause this. You only need to test one image as they contain identical firmware.

Yes, at least stuff that applies to this board. By the way, the link provided at the end of that form doesn’t work: https://forum.armbian.com/forum/36-board-doesnt-start/

I tried the 20W USB-C power supply that came with the board, and I also tried with a 30W power supply. I didn’t see any differences in booting results.

I am sure there are many other things to try. I suggest you to make an investigation.

Also there is no mentioning of this problem here Banana Pi M7 - Armbian Community Forums which means nobody knows you have any problems.

I investigated to the extent I know. I’m posting here because I’m asking for help or pointers to what to try next.

I’ll post in that forum too in order to increase the visibility of the issue. Thank you for the hint!

TL;DR: use a USB-C PD 2.0 power supply that can provide 35W for a single USB-C port. More details.