Armbian 24.8.1 (Noble GNOME, Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy, Debian 12 Bookworm) all fail to boot on Banana Pi M7

I downloaded and flashed the three images of Armbian 24.8.1 (Noble GNOME, Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy and Debian 12 Bookworm) on the Banana Pi M7, connected to the computer via serial console.

The three images are these:

• Armbian_24.8.1_Bananapim7_noble_vendor_6.1.75_gnome-kisak_desktop.img
  • Armbian_24.8.1_Bananapim7_jammy_vendor_6.1.75_kde-neon-kisak_desktop.img
  • Armbian_24.8.1_Bananapim7_bookworm_vendor_6.1.75_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img

For each image, I booted and logged the board output. The board fails to successfully boot and instead gets stuck in a boot loop. I then mounted the armbi_root partition and edited the file armbi_root/boot/armbianEnv.txt to set verbosity=7, in the hope of getting more useful information from the kernel. I retried booting the board, and I observed the same boot loop, but this time with more kernel logs.

The serial outputs of the failed boots are here:

• Armbian 24.8.1 Noble GNOME: noble.log (270.4 KB)
  • Armbian 24.8.1 Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy: jammy.log (96.5 KB)
  • Armbian 24.8.1 Debian 12 Bookworm: bookworm.log (30.1 KB)

I’m not sure why the kernel decides to reboot everytime, but I’m sharing the information in case it is useful to someone.

TL;DR: use a USB-C PD 2.0 power supply that can provide 35W for a single USB-C port. Further details.