SpacemiT K1 8 core RISC-V chip for NAS design ,with OpenMediaVault

SpacemiT K1 8 core RISC-V chip for NAS design ,it is a good idea?

we have test OpenWRT run on BPI-F3

I would like to see an expansion board with extra network ports (100Mbps or 1Gbps). Some people (not me) would use 2.5Gbps as well.

HDMI with input and 4k streaming possibility - to create an equivalent of “philips ambilight” with 4k resolution as pass-through capture device.

Also “smart home” applications: zigbee (though USB zigbee2mqtt exists and is pretty cheap) and IrDA (again an USB device could be used easily).

Then external display: LED’s (low res, could be easily created with 26-pin connector), external eInk or normal display (again - everything could be connected to available displays).

M.2 slots are cool but those devices consume immense amount of power and get hot. RISC-V is energy focused, not power&efficiency focused like ARM. It might be wise to use a single M.2 (already built-in) for buffers and fast-access while using SATA (also there) for cost&energy efficient storage.

Possibly some people could use a better WiFi (ax, MIMO with dozens of antennas). Though this would require quite much effort so only a few people would use this…right?

At the moment I’m not even sure how to use this board with any AI (got it unpacked and it works but I have not done anything with it).

1 Like

A board with more storage expansion options and no video I/O to keep the build simpler and more ram would be perfect for CI duties and developing non-user-facing software.

1 Like

RISC-V NAS: BPI-F3 & OpenMediaVault

BananaPi BPI-F3 Bianbu NASoperating system that includes applications (openmediavault, docker, and common software), frameworks, libraries, runtime, Linux kernel, boot loader (U-Boot), and supervisor interface (OpenSBI).

Bianbu Desktop/NAS image download: Index of /image/k1/version/bianbu

usename&password: bianbu