Soft Raid works

To whom it may concern: Software Raid works fine, but with about half speed :wink:

Hi, How is your construction? Both sata or aditional controller? how powered? Which raid-level?

which Kernel/Kernel-modules?

Regards Frank

Hi Frank, thereā€™s not much construction anyway. I used both sata connectors for 2 identical 320 GB Notebook Drives which I found in the workshop. The second Drive is indeed powered by the ā€œFanā€ connector. (Found out by risking an old HDD) I think, the ā€œFanā€ Label might be wrong. :wink:

I use the original Ubuntu image, regularly updated. No modules, no nothing just mdadmin creating a RAID1. I defined 3 mirrored Partitions: /var, /home and /Data. Thus, I can boot from the first SD-Card-Partition, mount / on the single 8GB Partition on the emmc-chip and then /var, /home and /Data from HDD. This gives me the following opportunities: the SD-Card is readonly (longer life :wink: ) The System as such is located on the relatively fast EMMC, and having /var and /home on HDD gives me a bit more space on emmc.

Too sad ich canā€™t append Pictures here, but if you like, you can take a look here:

Hey cool, didnā€™t know this would work :smiley: Have a perfect new year with plenty of free hours for your family and the R2 :slight_smile:

yours Thomas

1 Like

I assume that the fan is pwmā€¦but i have no oscilloscope here to check that.

did you install to emmc via bpi-copy or manual?

How is the display connected and controlled (gpio seems not connected)?

also a happy new year to you and your family.

If the ā€œFanā€ was PWM (as I expected too) shouldnā€™t the HDD die after a couple of days? I really could imagine itā€™s just labelled falsely. But - to make sure - in a final rack-mount I will take care of that and give the drives a serious power-supply. (I already have something in mind)

I didnā€™t use bpi-copy, I made one linux partition on the EMMC and made it the root partition while booting. With rsync -ax I copied the root partition from the SD there. And ever once in a while I make a Backup of the EMMD back to the SD.

As I couldnā€™t activate IĀ²C (you remember that other thread) I had to attach the IĀ²C-Display to an Arduino, which is attached to the R2 via USB. On the Arduino there is a simple program listening for a line and displaying it on the first line moving the older lines down. Thus, I must not care about the Display programming and have a simple Python script reading mqtt-messages and serial print the new line to the arduino :slight_smile:

Are you are using RAID 1?

Yep, I do :slight_smile: But obviously the power-connector labeled ā€œFanā€ was not a good idea. It worked, but it was never reliable. What I need is the harddisk cabeling for the second power output. As long as it worked, it worked fine :slight_smile:

Could you tell me what kind of connector I need for that 4-ping connector? 4x 1.25mm? 4x1.5mm???

Could this one fit? https://www.artekit.eu/products/prototyping/wires/jst-ph-4-pin-cable-with-male-female-connector/

http://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en/bpi-r2/hardware#sata

60 Pieces??? :open_mouth: Jesus!!!

Okay thank you :slight_smile: maybe I get a few somewhere :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve just ordered some :smiley:

I can send you some,but crimping is a bit trickyā€¦and i thinks itā€™s not cheaper

No thank you, I found them a bit cheaper, and Iā€™ll need those things ever once i a while :slight_smile:

Do you want to use the power supply from 4-pin header on R2, right?

if yes, itā€™s the 4x2.54mm.

And please note that the FAN connector is to connect FAN, and the voltage can be adjusted by PWM, and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s stable for hard drive.

Thanks Gary

Iā€™ve tried to use the ā€œFanā€ connector for a Harddisk because the usual HDD cables have those 2-pin connectors. Additionally, when this neat aluminum case was first shown to us, I believe it was cabled like this.

Somehow it worked, but not reliable. Now i have ordered a couple of 4-pin connectors. When they arrive (which will take some time) Iā€™ll give it another try. If raid 1 will prove reliability and performance over time, one could use the R2 as a Nas-system. which might be interesting.

1 Like

Have you added something to my kernel-config to get raid working?

Sorry, habenĀ“t done it yet. In summer my motorbike and my boat have some attraction too. But when i tried with your 4.14 repo I found i must start from Scratch, because there was no .config file

we needed CONFIG_DM_RAID and CONFIG_MD_RAIDxxx too

see https://github.com/frank-w/BPI-R2-4.14/commit/cd7be06a72433b01d6e343320079aa7d5965f0dc