SFP OEM SFP-2.5G-T kernel PHY?

I was looking into the SFP OEM SFP-2.5G-T, reading also about the patch to kernel…

From Russel King:

If its not ethtool, then there is only one other possibility which I thought had already been ruled out - and that is the PHY is actually accessible, but either we don’t have a driver for it, or when reading the PHY’s “features” we don’t know what it is.

Therefore, as the PHY is accessible, we need to identify what it is and have a driver for it.

From the command:

[root@bpir3 ~]# i2cdetect -y 0
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: 50 51 -- -- -- -- 56 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                        

I guess 0x50 and 0x51 are like so:

*	e) Devices with two I2C addresses (eg SFP) have 256 bytes of data
 *		at I2C address 0x50, and 256 bytes of data at I2C address
 *		0x51 (A2h in the spec).  Page selection and paged access
 *		only apply to this second I2C address (0x51).

BUT: I see we also have something at address 0x56. Isn’t that the PHY?

As described:

/* SFP modules appear to always have their PHY configured for bus address
 * 0x56 (which with mdio-i2c, translates to a PHY address of 22).
 */
#define SFP_PHY_ADDR	22

Anyone find out already if this is accessible and it can be used?

1 Like

I have found the following information on the optcore site, I believe this is the one:

At: https://www.optcore.net/product/sfp-2g-t-gen/

So on BPI-R3 side, the connection speed stays at 2500, on the RJ45 the speed automatically is negotiated.

1 Like

I’ve noticed not connected:

[root@bpir3 ~]# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   2500baseX/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  2500baseX/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Port: FIBRE
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
        Link detected: no

And I saw online that @frank-w had this:

>> root@bpi-r3:~# ethtool eth1
>> Settings for eth1:
>>         Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
>>         Supported link modes:   2500baseX/Full
>>         Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
>>         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>>         Supported FEC modes: Not reported
>>         Advertised link modes:  2500baseX/Full
>>         Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
>>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>>         Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
>>         Speed: 2500Mb/s
>>         Duplex: Full
>>         Auto-negotiation: on
>>         Port: FIBRE
>>         PHYAD: 0
>>         Transceiver: internal
>>         Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
>>                                drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
>>         Link detected: yes

Notice the difference in Speed. I still have to connected it on the other side, and try 2500, 1000 and 100 Mbps, but is the speed at the RJ45 already reported here?

Have you the patches with sfp-quirk and phylink-update?

I am using 6.3.11 at the moment… I think one of these weeks rolling-stable will move on to 6.4.

Anyway, I still have to try al lot, use a RTL 2.5Gbps USB3 and try to connect at different speeds. Available time is the largest problem at the moment :wink:

Edit:

It does NOT have

SFP_QUIRK_M("OEM", "SFP-2.5G-T", sfp_quirk_oem_2_5g),

Edit2:

Which phylink update are you referring to?

My tests and output was based on this patch afair

Have you tried to connwct to the phy over the additional i2c address

Now using:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next branch main

static int sfp_sm_probe_for_phy(struct sfp *sfp)
{
	int err = 0;

switch (sfp->mdio_protocol) {
	case MDIO_I2C_NONE:
		break;

case MDIO_I2C_MARVELL_C22:
		err = sfp_sm_probe_phy(sfp, SFP_PHY_ADDR, false);
		break;

case MDIO_I2C_C45:
		err = sfp_sm_probe_phy(sfp, SFP_PHY_ADDR, true);
		break;

case MDIO_I2C_ROLLBALL:
		err = sfp_sm_probe_phy(sfp, SFP_PHY_ADDR_ROLLBALL, true);
		break;
	}

dev_info(sfp->dev, "ERICWOUD: sfp_sm_probe_for_phy  %d  %d\n", sfp->mdio_protocol, err);

return err;
}

This function is called with sfp->mdio_protocol = 0 = MDIO_I2C_NONE.

This is the routine that should start the communication with the phy at 0x56, but it does nothing. So there will be no phy added… Time is up for today…

Edit:

Just reading along what could be the problem, looking at:

if (sfp->id.base.extended_cc == SFF8024_ECC_10GBASE_T_SFI ||
	    sfp->id.base.extended_cc == SFF8024_ECC_10GBASE_T_SR ||
	    sfp->id.base.extended_cc == SFF8024_ECC_5GBASE_T ||
	    sfp->id.base.extended_cc == SFF8024_ECC_2_5GBASE_T)
		sfp->mdio_protocol = MDIO_I2C_C45;
	else if (sfp->id.base.e1000_base_t)
		sfp->mdio_protocol = MDIO_I2C_MARVELL_C22;
	else
		sfp->mdio_protocol = MDIO_I2C_NONE;

We could need a quirk like this one:

static void sfp_fixup_rollball_cc(struct sfp *sfp)
{
	sfp_fixup_rollball(sfp);

/* Some RollBall SFPs may have wrong (zero) extended compliance code
	 * burned in EEPROM. For PHY probing we need the correct one.
	 */
	sfp->id.base.extended_cc = SFF8024_ECC_10GBASE_T_SFI;
}

But then it would be:

sfp->id.base.extended_cc = SFF8024_ECC_2_5GBASE_T

I’ve tried something like that, starting to add the phy, but run in to errors again.

I wonder if it is useful to add the phy to the system.

The module automatically sets the link speed, and applies some kind of throttling . Adding the phy may interfere with this process.

Now I get why it reports itself as being an optical SFP. On that you also cannot interfere with link speed

It may be better to only try to read the current link speed with i2c at 0x56 and report that to the system, instead of the unknown speed. Depends if it can be found at this address.

Any opinions on that?

Imho we need a phy to adjust linkspeed correctly,else it always use the link-speed of the mac (sgmii-2500baseX)

And afaik all sfp are displayed as optical.

I can connect to the sfp on the RJ45 side at any speed 10/100/1000/2500, setting the link speed of my usb rtl8156 on the other side of the copper. The speed on the MAC side of the SFP stays at 2500.

This is exactly as described on the optcore site.

This is all done inside the SFP module hardware independently. It must by accessing the PHY to do so. I believe if we access the PHY also from the kernel side, then we can get very irratic results as they will be interfering with each other.

However,

I found out, it is possible to read the link speed at i2c address 0x51 at byte 0x78. As for duplex, I see no difference in the registers.

The value of byte 0x78 is higher when I change the link speed (via the RTL8156) to a higher speed.

10   Mbps = 0x0a
100  Mbps = 0x01
1000 Mbps = 0x02
2500 Mbps = 0x04

Edit:

Anyway, I wonder if the other side is set at half duplex, what happens, as 2500baseX only has Full mode, no Half… Maybe that is why I cannot see any changes in registers between Full and Half.

So we could get the speed from the register, and duplex will always be Full. That will look better then

Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)

Byte should be able to read wtth:

unsigned char speedbyte;
sfp_read(sfp, 0x51 == 0x51, 0x78, &speedbyte, 1);

Imho you should make this discussion on lkml (linux mailinglist) in netdev section to get feedback from Russel and others more deep in sfp and phylink handling. Of course you can add me in CC.

seems the phylink-part got missing…do not see the changes in 6.5-rc1, so now we have the state where autoneg needs to be set manually to disabled

[root@bpir3 ~]# i2cdump -y 0 0x56
No size specified (using byte-data access)
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f    0123456789abcdef
00: 20 58 00 02 00 1c c8 49 20 70 00 8a 80 00 00 30     X.?.??I p.??..0
10: 82 00 00 00 00 00 41 a0 00 00 00 00 00 1c c8 49    ?.....A?.....??I
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00    ...........?....
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ................
40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
80: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
90: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
a0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
b0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
c0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
d0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
e0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................

At offset 4 it has: 0x001cc849 , which means that we have this PHY at 0x56:

PHY_ID_MATCH_EXACT(0x001cc849),
		.name           = "RTL8221B-VB-CG 2.5Gbps PHY",
1 Like

Great find,need to test this with my modules which should be same.

And now we need to find out how we can use this phy

edit: seems your sfp is different to mine (have inserted one into sfp2 - so i2c1)

root@bpi-r3:~# i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: 50 51 -- -- -- -- 56 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         
root@bpi-r3:~# i2cdump -y 1 0x56
No size specified (using byte-data access)
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f    0123456789abcdef
00: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................
50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
80: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
90: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
a0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
b0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
c0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
d0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
e0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff    ................                                   
root@bpi-r3:~#

root@bpi-r3:~# ethtool lan4
Settings for lan4:                                                                                        
  Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]                                                                              
  Supported link modes:   2500baseX/Full                                                                  
  Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only                                                       
  Supports auto-negotiation: No                                                                           
  Supported FEC modes: Not reported                                                                       
  Advertised link modes:  2500baseX/Full                                                                  
  Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only                                                      
  Advertised auto-negotiation: No                                                                         
  Advertised FEC modes: Not reported                                                                      
  Speed: Unknown!                                                                                         
  Duplex: Unknown! (255)                                                                                  
  Auto-negotiation: off                                                                                   
  Port: FIBRE                                                                                             
  PHYAD: 0                                                                                                
  Transceiver: internal                                                                                   
  Supports Wake-on: d                                                                                     
  Wake-on: d                                                                                              
  Link detected: no                                                                                       
root@bpi-r3:~# ethtool -m lan4                                                                            
  Identifier                                : 0x03 (SFP)                                                  
  Extended identifier                       : 0x04 (GBIC/SFP defined by 2-wire interface ID)              
  Connector                                 : 0x07 (LC)                                                   
  Transceiver codes                         : 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00                
  Transceiver type                          : SONET: OC-48, short reach                                   
  Encoding                                  : 0x05 (SONET Scrambled)                                      
  BR, Nominal                               : 2500MBd                                                     
  Rate identifier                           : 0x00 (unspecified)                                          
  Length (SMF,km)                           : 0km                                                         
  Length (SMF)                              : 0m                                                          
  Length (50um)                             : 300m                                                        
  Length (62.5um)                           : 200m                                                        
  Length (Copper)                           : 0m                                                          
  Length (OM3)                              : 0m                                                          
  Laser wavelength                          : 850nm                                                       
  Vendor name                               : OEM                                                         
  Vendor OUI                                : 00:00:00                                                    
  Vendor PN                                 : SFP-2.5G-T                                                  
  Vendor rev                                : 1.0                                                         
  Option values                             : 0x00 0x1a                                                   
  Option                                    : RX_LOS implemented                                          
  Option                                    : TX_FAULT implemented                                        
  Option                                    : TX_DISABLE implemented                                      
  BR margin, max                            : 0%                                                          
  BR margin, min                            : 0%                                                          
  Vendor SN                                 : SK2301110010                                                
  Date code                                 : 230110                                                      
  Optical diagnostics support               : Yes                                                         
  Laser bias current                        : 0.000 mA                                                    
  Laser output power                        : 0.0000 mW / -inf dBm                                        
  Receiver signal average optical power     : 0.0000 mW / -inf dBm                                        
  Module temperature                        : 29.81 degrees C / 85.66 degrees F                           
  Module voltage                            : 3.3642 V                                                    
  Alarm/warning flags implemented           : Yes                                                         
  Laser bias current high alarm             : Off                                                         
  Laser bias current low alarm              : On                                                          
  Laser bias current high warning           : Off                                                         
  Laser bias current low warning            : On                                                          
  Laser output power high alarm             : Off                                                         
  Laser output power low alarm              : On                                                          
  Laser output power high warning           : Off                                                         
  Laser output power low warning            : On                                                          
  Module temperature high alarm             : Off                                                         
  Module temperature low alarm              : Off                                                         
  Module temperature high warning           : Off                                                         
  Module temperature low warning            : Off                                                         
  Module voltage high alarm                 : Off                                                         
  Module voltage low alarm                  : Off                                                         
  Module voltage high warning               : Off                                                         
  Module voltage low warning                : Off                                                         
  Laser rx power high alarm                 : Off                                                         
  Laser rx power low alarm                  : On                                                          
  Laser rx power high warning               : Off                                                         
  Laser rx power low warning                : On                                                          
  Laser bias current high alarm threshold   : 15.000 mA                                                   
  Laser bias current low alarm threshold    : 1.000 mA                                                    
  Laser bias current high warning threshold : 13.000 mA                                                   
  Laser bias current low warning threshold  : 2.000 mA                                                    
  Laser output power high alarm threshold   : 1.9952 mW / 3.00 dBm                                        
  Laser output power low alarm threshold    : 0.1584 mW / -8.00 dBm                                       
  Laser output power high warning threshold : 1.5848 mW / 2.00 dBm                                        
  Laser output power low warning threshold  : 0.1778 mW / -7.50 dBm                                       
  Module temperature high alarm threshold   : 95.00 degrees C / 203.00 degrees F                          
  Module temperature low alarm threshold    : -50.00 degrees C / -58.00 degrees F                         
  Module temperature high warning threshold : 90.00 degrees C / 194.00 degrees F                          
  Module temperature low warning threshold  : -45.00 degrees C / -49.00 degrees F                         
  Module voltage high alarm threshold       : 3.6000 V                                                    
  Module voltage low alarm threshold        : 3.0000 V                                                    
  Module voltage high warning threshold     : 3.5000 V                                                    
  Module voltage low warning threshold      : 3.1000 V                                                    
  Laser rx power high alarm threshold       : 1.1220 mW / 0.50 dBm                                        
  Laser rx power low alarm threshold        : 0.0199 mW / -17.01 dBm                                      
  Laser rx power high warning threshold     : 1.0000 mW / 0.00 dBm                                        
  Laser rx power low warning threshold      : 0.0223 mW / -16.52 dBm                                      
root@bpi-r3:~#

Strange they are different, we ordered from the same vendor, almost at the same time.

Maybe in one of my hacky tries, it got unlocked? Or perhapse it is an eeprom that never is written…

Yours is SK2301110008 mine are SK2301110007 and SK2301110009

Then it may be a fake id in eeprom…

Actually, there is more info to dump…

/*
 *	Description:
 *	a) Optical transceiver EEPROM read/write transactions are just like
 *		the at24 eeproms managed by the at24.c i2c driver
 *	b) The register/memory layout is up to 256 128 byte pages defined by
 *		a "pages valid" register and switched via a "page select"
 *		register as explained in below diagram.
 *	c) 256 bytes are mapped at a time. 'Lower page 00h' is the first 128
 *	        bytes of address space, and always references the same
 *	        location, independent of the page select register.
 *	        All mapped pages are mapped into the upper 128 bytes
 *	        (offset 128-255) of the i2c address.
 *	d) Devices with one I2C address (eg QSFP, CMIS) use I2C address 0x50
 *		(A0h in the spec), and map all pages in the upper 128 bytes
 *		of that address.
 *	e) Devices with two I2C addresses (eg SFP) have 256 bytes of data
 *		at I2C address 0x50, and 256 bytes of data at I2C address
 *		0x51 (A2h in the spec).  Page selection and paged access
 *		only apply to this second I2C address (0x51).
 *	e) The address space is presented, by the driver, as a linear
 *	        address space.  For devices with one I2C client at address
 *	        0x50 (eg QSFP, CMIS), offset 0-127 are in the lower
 *	        half of address 50/A0h/optoe_client.  Offset 128-255 are in
 *	        page 0, 256-383 are page 1, etc.  More generally, offset
 *	        'n' resides in page (n/128)-1.  ('page -1' is the lower
 *	        half, offset 0-127).
 *	f) For devices with two I2C clients at address 0x50 and 0x51 (eg SFP),
 *		the address space places offset 0-127 in the lower
 *	        half of 50/A0/optoe_client, offset 128-255 in the upper
 *	        half.  Offset 256-383 is in the lower half of 51/A2/dummy.
 *	        Offset 384-511 is in page 0, in the upper half of 51/A2/...
 *	        Offset 512-639 is in page 1, in the upper half of 51/A2/...
 *	        Offset 'n' is in page (n/128)-3 (for n > 383)
 *	                    One I2c addressed (eg QSFP, CMIS) Memory Map
 *	                    2-Wire Serial Address: 1010000x
 *	                    Lower Page 00h (128 bytes)
 *	                    =====================
 *	                   |                     |
 *	                   |Page Select Byte(127)|
 *	                    =====================
 *	                              |
 *	                              |
 *	                              V
 *	     ------------------------------------------------------------
 *	    |                 |                  |                       |
 *	    |                 |                  |                       |
 *	    V                 V                  V                       V
 *	 ------------   --------------      ---------------     --------------
 *	|            | |              |    |               |   |              |
 *	|   Upper    | |     Upper    |    |     Upper     |   |    Upper     |
 *	|  Page 00h  | |    Page 01h  |    |    Page 02h   |   |   Page 03h   |
 *	|            | |   (Optional) |    |   (Optional)  |   |  (Optional   |
 *	|            | |              |    |               |   |   for Cable  |
 *	|            | |              |    |               |   |  Assemblies) |
 *	|    ID      | |     AST      |    |      User     |   |              |
 *	|  Fields    | |    Table     |    |   EEPROM Data |   |              |
 *	 ------------   --------------      ---------------     --------------
 * The SFF 8636 (QSFP) spec only defines the 4 pages described above.
 * In anticipation of future applications and devices, this driver
 * supports access to the full architected range, 256 pages.
 * The CMIS (Common Management Interface Specification) defines use of
 * considerably more pages (at least to page 0xAF), which this driver
 * supports.
 * NOTE: This version of the driver ONLY SUPPORTS BANK 0 PAGES on CMIS
 * devices.
 **/

I can’t check now, but we can use ethtool -m eth1 page N hex on to examine more on 0x51

If 0x56 is indeed a rtl8221, then the registers at 0x56 should be (counted in 16 bit words, from rtl8211 datasheet, I cannot find any datasheet of rtl8221)

realtek

Since the id is at 2 and at 14 this could actually make sense, as the sfp was trying to access the phy_id (from MMD). Guess this was the last succesfull communication…

The last 4 bytes of the 64 byte space are to do with page selection. This could explain why @frank-w 's module reads totally different. writing 0x0000 to word 31 (byte offset 62) should set the page to page 0.

So maybe @dangowrt has a datasheet of the RTL8221B-VB-CG that he could maybe share or maybe could not. Maybe see if MAADR register is 4 bytes on RTL8221, which would make sense of the data I see?

I guess my eeprom cannot be read at this adress…maybe it needs to be enabled first? Empty should be 0x00,or i have got one without such phy

I think I flipped the page to page zero in one of my attempts to get things going. Now it is a bit stuck there when I read the address 0x56 Yours is probably on an invalid page.

Anyway, so far:

diff --git a/drivers/net/phy/sfp.c b/drivers/net/phy/sfp.c
index d855a1830..43c760cfe 100644
--- a/drivers/net/phy/sfp.c
+++ b/drivers/net/phy/sfp.c
@@ -396,6 +396,16 @@ static void sfp_fixup_rollball_cc(struct sfp *sfp)
        sfp->id.base.extended_cc = SFF8024_ECC_10GBASE_T_SFI;
 }

+// For 2.5GBASE-T short-reach modules
+static void sfp_fixup_oem_2_5g(struct sfp *sfp)
+{
+       sfp->mdio_protocol = MDIO_I2C_ROLLBALL;
+       sfp->module_t_wait = msecs_to_jiffies(25 * 1000);
+       sfp->id.base.connector = SFF8024_CONNECTOR_RJ45;
+       sfp->id.base.extended_cc = SFF8024_ECC_2_5GBASE_T;
+
+}
+
 static void sfp_quirk_2500basex(const struct sfp_eeprom_id *id,
                                unsigned long *modes,
                                unsigned long *interfaces)
@@ -475,7 +485,9 @@ static const struct sfp_quirk sfp_quirks[] = {
        SFP_QUIRK_F("Walsun", "HXSX-ATRI-1", sfp_fixup_fs_10gt),

SFP_QUIRK_F("OEM", "SFP-10G-T", sfp_fixup_rollball_cc),
-       SFP_QUIRK_M("OEM", "SFP-2.5G-T", sfp_quirk_oem_2_5g),
+
+       SFP_QUIRK("OEM", "SFP-2.5G-T", sfp_quirk_oem_2_5g, sfp_fixup_oem_2_5g),
+
        SFP_QUIRK_F("OEM", "RTSFP-10", sfp_fixup_rollball_cc),
        SFP_QUIRK_F("OEM", "RTSFP-10G", sfp_fixup_rollball_cc),
        SFP_QUIRK_F("Turris", "RTSFP-10", sfp_fixup_rollball),

The phy is at 0x51, protocol needs to be rollball, and the rtl8221 at 0x56 is accessed as mmd through the phy device at 0x51.

Now I need to check kernel log and move on to the next problem…

Inserted in SFP1 slot at boot:

[root@bpir3 ~]# dmesg | grep sfp
[    0.663101] sfp sfp-1: Host maximum power 1.0W
[    0.668432] sfp sfp-2: Host maximum power 1.0W
[    1.013634] sfp sfp-1: module OEM              SFP-2.5G-T       rev 1.0  sn SK2301110007     dc 230110  
[root@bpir3 ~]# ip link set eth1 up
[  110.910137] mtk_soc_eth 15100000.ethernet eth1: configuring for inband/2500base-x link mode

[  136.867078] RTL8221B-VB-CG 2.5Gbps PHY: probe of i2c:sfp-1:11 failed with error -95
[  136.874799] mtk_soc_eth 15100000.ethernet eth1: 11111 validation with support 00,00000000,00000000,00000000 failed: -EINVAL
[  136.886040] sfp sfp-1: sfp_add_phy failed: -EINVAL

[  407.112709] sfp sfp-1: module removed

Moved to SFP2 slot:

[  423.803562] sfp sfp-2: module OEM              SFP-2.5G-T       rev 1.0  sn SK2301110007     dc 230110  
[  423.859855] hwmon hwmon0: temp1_input not attached to any thermal zone

[  449.827118] RTL8221B-VB-CG 2.5Gbps PHY: probe of i2c:sfp-2:11 failed with error -95
[  449.834836] mt7530-mdio mdio-bus:1f lan4: 11111 validation with support 00,00000000,00000000,00000000 failed: -EINVAL
[  449.845560] sfp sfp-2: sfp_add_phy failed: -EINVAL

lan4 is managed by systemd-networkd and it sets it link up.

I’ve added 11111 to the validation with support message, to find out which one. It is the one from phylink_sfp_config_phy()

I figure the probe of the device is failing because .probe is not defined for this device.

}, {
		PHY_ID_MATCH_EXACT(0x001cc849),
		.name           = "RTL8221B-VB-CG 2.5Gbps PHY",
		.get_features   = rtl822x_get_features,
		.config_aneg    = rtl822x_config_aneg,
		.read_status    = rtl822x_read_status,
		.suspend        = genphy_suspend,
		.resume         = rtlgen_resume,
		.read_page      = rtl821x_read_page,
		.write_page     = rtl821x_write_page,
	}, {

I could add:

.probe		= rtl822x_probe,

and

static int rtl822x_probe(struct phy_device *phydev)
{
	return 0;
}

As I have no clue about the registers.

Then see if this changes anything…