[R3Mini] High temp in idle

the bpi-r3 mini, is currently in idle. not much work beside the computer Im on and typing.the metal case is quite hot. look the graph. For doing nothing is too hot imo. the fan is not responding yet.

The question is: were can lower the threshold to let kick in the fan on lower temperature.

what I found is this:

root@OpenWrt:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2# cat temp1_crit
root@OpenWrt:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2# cat temp1_input
root@OpenWrt:/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2# cat temp1_max

those number make no sense 110°C crit you better don’t touch that thing. how can I lower all those number to a realistic level. and of course the fan need to start kicking on a much lower temp level.

by the way. its summer but its only 23°C here in my room.

thank you for helping not getting burned :slight_smile:

The thresholds are defined in dts(i).

I wonder why you only see one…there are many defined and can be also adjusted at runtime.

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r3mini:start#thermal

not sure what dts is. the only click it does is dolby dts ;). joke aside. the chart show °C and it matches with the number is read in temp1_input: 73000 ~73°C.

as far as I understand I have to adjust the following, these are the temps when the fan kick in?

root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_0_temp
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_1_temp
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_21_temp
cat: can't open 'trip_point_21_temp': No such file or directory
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_2_temp
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_3_temp
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat trip_point_4_temp
root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# 

for each point 1-4 exist, *_hyst and *_type anything I have to do here?

1-4 type says ‘active’ and 1-4 hyst ‘2000’.

I asume hyst is rpm?

thanks

Dts is devicetree source file

For hysteresis see here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/thermal/thermal-zones.yaml

let me ask one question before I going to read this. the trip_points I posted goes from 0 to 4, from 125k down to 60k, descending doesn’t make much sense, should temp ascend? at least this would be consistant with what I read in that yaml file.

and what are recommended temps from banana?

The numbering in sysfs does not match definition in devicetree,so a bit confusing.

We defined the trips mostly to trigger fan. The bpi case gets very hot so you can adjust them a bit.

In technical documents only the critical temp was described…all other are values discussed in dev team

the thresholds are way to high. this is what I understand. But maybe, the mini operates on openwrt snapshot that might explain the odd numbers. so it’s time for a stable official build… but other than that, the fan is not running and cooling. the cpu is constant at 60°C based on trip_point4 it should get triggered. phy0 and phy1 are on 75°C constant.

I need to get the fan running. any suggestion how change the value. and cut the current numbers in half, perhaps?

changed trip_p_4 to 30000, fan got triggered

I changed the trip_points to the following numbers. I think those numbers make sense imo #3 40k #2 50k #1 60k #0 70k

tbh. the main issue is not the cpu, its the phy0+1 if those boiling up to 75°C this fan has a hard time getting it cool. so I modified the trip points again, so the fan is longer on full speed to get the whole thing cooled down. and then I’'ll modify from there.

The trip points are defined for cpu temp and should be right,i know do not know a way to map the fan to the wifi temp

I disagree with the original trip point setting at least not for the R3mini, imagine the cpu goes to the original level 3, which is 85°C at this point you burn your fingers when touching the case. that’s everything else than safety.

I don’t know either. the only think I know is the that the wifi adapters are listed as cooling device 1+2

root@openwrt:/sys/class/thermal/cooling_device1# cat type
mt7915_phy0

But I think it’s not necessary. cpu temp and wifi temp correlate, if wifi temp goes up, cpu will follow.

one hour fan full speed, temp dropped -20°C, however around 1920h I changed the surface from wooden to metal and dropped significant more. I don’t think the temp will go much lower, its also ok the case cool now.

I gonna gear down the fan from 3 to 2 and see what is going to happen. and make my changes accordingly. tomorrow is going to be hot again. lets how it goes.