Question about connecting SFP module to BPI-R3

Hi, I’m waiting now for my SFP module. I want to replace my ISP’s ONU with it. And I have one small question about it.

Obviously, I know, that I must copy all settings from ISP’s ONU to SFP stick (serial number, ploam password etc).

But how can I make SFP module visible to me? As I understand, I must change router’s ip to something different, than 192.168.1.1 first (it is default lan ip of sfp stick). But how should I proceed after that?

Now I have br-wan bridge device with sfp1 and wan devices bridged. I think, it is default setting. I changed only mac of br-wan device, because my ISP authorizes my router via mac address. After changing default mac of br-wan device, br-wan interface receives ip from my ISP and I have connection to the internet.

Should I add new interface with single eth1 device and give to this interface 192.168.1.2 ip address?

1 Like

Anyone can share a working config for this? Currently I have internet connection via DHCP, no pppoe or something like that.

I just can’t understand, how I can reach SFP module web interface.

Or should I temporarily delete eth1 from br-wan, add eth1 to br-lan, change all necessary settings on SFP module, than delete eth1 from br-lan and add it back to br-wan?

I think it will work than, but I think, that I will not have any access to SFP module interface anymore. Right?

Sfps have no webservice or own ip address. Sfp is only a media converter (copper-copper or fibre-fibre). Sfp cannot hold an ip and are connected by i2c bus.

You can access the sfp via "ethtool -m " or by using i2c tools (low level access). If sfp is found or not you can also see in bootlog/dmesg

But how do some guys enter this web interface of SFP module? Picture

I guess the webinterface is hosted on parent device (Your old router/ont - you have to start your own on r3) and read out information from the sfp.

Some SFPs have ssh/web interface, like MA5671A You can access it on LAN by creating a new interface https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/access.modem.through.nat

1 Like

Thank you, it is very helpful. My module has web interface.

That’s true and false at the same time:

The “SFP” is a form factor, that does the signal adaptation + a few i2c commands for monitoring.

But in the specific case of more advanced technologies like *PON (GPON, XPon, …) but at the time I’ve also seen VDSL2 SFPs , the makes added a FULL linux OS (often based on OpenWRT…) within the metal case of the SFP itself. (This leads to all kind of various issues : the power supply needs to provide enough current for example, but also the i2c bus & the control lines like TX_Fault, Tx_Disable, RX_LOS , RS0 & RS1 are emulated by the OS within the SFP… with sometime “questionable” behavior)

were you able to use plugin in the ODI PON SFP device in the SFP1 port and connect to internet without the ISP’s box? when I plug in my XGS-PON device into the SFP1 port, nothing happens, even if the fiber cable is connected to the XGS-PON device: br-wan does not receive any IP address. In port status in luci, eth1 still shows as 0B up/down. When I use an external media converter and plug then plugin to the wan ethernet port, everything works fine. There is an issue about it but closed with solution.