Please, update Specs of M3

Since the correction of the Specs, in this thread we found out some more. I agree with tkaiser that you can easily exeed 1,8A especially at startup. An electric motor (in the hard disc) will consume 2-3 more than idle, therefore it would be better to have DC port as standard, but if you don’t - I recommend to adjust the Specs.

I would change this to: Power Source Micro-USB (default); optional 5V DC port (center positive 1,6 x 4,4mm) – do not specify 2A here, it is just about the connector not about power consumption –

Storage Support SDcard (up to 64GB) SATA (up to 2TB - USB-to-SATA: GL830) eMMC 8GB (optional)

USB Ports 2 x USB2.0, Micro-USB OTG

I meant the M1. I saw a power consumption test on a website. I am positive I did not mess up any information there.

8G emmc is on board ,not option.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I add one last request to make the Specs fully understandable. For someone who has not read this posts, you need to add this picture as well.

Cheers Tido

There are two versions of the board?

no ,just one hardware version,when we manufacture BPI-M3,we can choose which power support,just component different.

projectbananapi: If you look at the PCB from rear-side you see two (2) holes below the DC port. So the PCB is manufactured that it can hold Micro-USB or the DC port - well done from the engineers. Still, you should upload this picture to the Specs site so people (customers) can see the difference.

Well, actually you have two (2) BOM (bill of material)

• with DC port
  • with Micro-USB To keep ordering and differentiation for all EASY you should have two (2) part numbers for M3. in example: M3-001 = DC port power-connector version M3-002 = Micro-USB power-connector version

May be even more part numbers, because you can may be chose eMMC 8, 16, 32GB. M3-001-08 = DC port power-connector version, 08GB M3-001-16 = DC port power-connector version, 16GB

So you only change one (1) THT part on the PCB, but the effect for the customer and you (support) can be big.

Just if I think about this, you should create part numbers and list these on the Specs site. Different connectors means different specification, right?

1 Like

Which ‘Specs site’? This or this or this or this or … don’t you understand that this sort of products can’t have ‘specifications’ since the people trying to sell them simply don’t give a sh*t regarding correct informations.

Please remember: The Banana Pi M2 never had composite video. But SinoVoip listed it in their so called ‘specs’ (copy&paste garbage from somewhere else). People from all over the world tried to return their M2 since resellers again did copy&paste of this wrong information. Did they changed the ‘specs’ on any of the many sites where this stuff might be listed? Did they informed their resellers that this is clearly a wrong information? Nope, since they don’t care at all. It’s not a problem for them (“I spread wrong/misleading informations. But hey, why should I care or correct that mistake? The customer already was dumb enough to buy my product!”)

The same happens now with the M3 and the ‘is SATA capable’ lie. They don’t give a sh*t that it’s not true and they refuse to correct their ‘specs’.

Who still uses composite video? I dont think the one on the M1 ever worked in the first place.

But it is true the specs are wrong about the composite video.

And the ‘funny’ thing is: while SinoVoip’s CEO provides the correct informations here in the forums his own employees being asked by the reseller give out the wrong informations since they rely on their so called ‘specs’: Look at this weird thread: M2 and Analog Tv output (it’s unbelievable that this happens and that everybody at SinoVoip thinks this is the best way to share – obviously wrong – informations)

This seems to be ‘the SinoVoip way’: They use the text from an earlier product to copy&paste stuff from (there the error originated), then they try to adjust informations (which doesn’t always works) and then start to flood the net with this mixture of correct and wrong informations. Since there are countless ‘product pages’ for SinoVoip products obviously maintained by different people (or maybe in the meantime not maintained any longer?) it impossible to provide correct informations this way.

All serious hardware manufacturers provide either an up-to-date version of their product specifications in a Wiki (were mistakes can be corrected easily) or in the form of specifications that can be found in a single place and keep a revision history. That’s the only way it could work but SinoVoip doesn’t care at all. It’s unbelievable that they don’t even get the idea that it’s important to provide correct informations describing their hardware in a useful way.

BTW: Composite video works on the M1 and also on the M1+. It can not work on the M2 due to its SoC being not able to output that. You find these informations in one of the other forums being ‘the official’ some time ago: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tv+out+site%3Alemaker.org (haha, I wonder how long this forum now will be ‘the official’ until it will be abandoned like LeMaker’s or the other at bananapi.com)

Welcome to the world of development boards without a full fledged support team or community.

At least I will try to make this version of the website and forum accurate for the time being.

It doesn’t work like that. When the manufacturer of the hardware doesn’t give a sh*t then the users are lost. And it’s also useless when you as an individual tries to correct mistakes here since the very same ‘product pages’ containing wrong informations are available at bananapi.com, banana-pi.com and sinovoip.com.cn and maybe somewhere else.

Have a look at http://www.banana-pi.org/m2.html – PSU informations still wrong (everything you need to know about the M2 can only be found in the linux-sunxi Wiki: http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi_M2 – and this won’t change in the future. The manufacturer doesn’t give a shit about specs and software support and the community must jump in. But unlike the M2 the newly M3 has a SoC without support for mainline kernel. So customers dumb enough to buy this piece of hardware are really lost)

O man. I only have the M1 and I never noticed the DC port.

projectbananapi: If you look at the PCB from rear-side you see two (2) holes below the DC port. So the PCB is manufactured that it can hold Micro-USB or the DC port - well done from the engineers. Still, you should upload this picture to the Specs site so people (customers) can see the difference.

Well, actually you have two (2) BOM (bill of material)

• with DC port
  • with Micro-USB To keep ordering and differentiation for all EASY you should have two (2) part numbers for M3. in example: M3-001 = DC port power-connector version M3-002 = Micro-USB power-connector version

May be even more part numbers, because you can may be chose eMMC 8, 16, 32GB. M3-001-08 = DC port power-connector version, 08GB M3-001-16 = DC port power-connector version, 16GB

So you only change one (1) THT part on the PCB, but the effect for the customer and you (support) can be big.

Just if I think about this, you should create part numbers and list these on the Specs site. Different connectors means different specification, right?

yes , default is Micro-USB power port, and default use 8GB emmc on board.

But since they don’t do support it makes really no difference for them. And don’t you realize that all your efforts to explain why correct specs, part numbers and so on are import simply bounce off?

Maybe related to the target audience of the younger so called Banana Pis: Clueless people thinking the more CPU cores you get the faster the device is. A SoC with 8 outdated Cortex-A7 cores (lowend) doesn’t make sense at all if you’re really after performance (then you would’ve to choose A-15 or A-53 or even better A-57).

And I’m really curious whether the A83T suffers from the problems other new SoCs from Allwinner have: The H3 with 4 cores for example overheats easily and doesn’t implement thermal throttling but instead just shuts CPU cores down. So maybe in reality the ‘octa-core’ Banana Pi M3 will run with 1-3 CPU cores only when performance would be needed and Allwinner’s outdated 3.4.39 thermal kernel module shuts down one CPU core after the other :smile:

@sinovoip - you call yourself: bpi team Would you mind telling me to whom I am writing here? Are you working in the development team of M3 or SinoVoip or what is your task?

BPI team : sinovoip & foxconn . we work together. just give us some time ,we will update document later. when we ready BPI-M3, main hardware design will finished , we will update more document about all BPI board.

1 Like

And who are you ? You; who is using ‘sinovoip’ to answer in this forum ?

Who are you - what is your job?

dear Tido . you have help us many , are you like to test a BPI-M2+ board, if you want , i can let judy send a free sample to you.