OpenWrt One/AP-24.XY is an upcoming router board developed by OpenWrt and Banana Pi

OpenWrt developers have started the process to develop the “OpenWrt One/AP-24.XY” router board based on MediaTek MT7981B (Filogic 820) SoC and MediaTek MT7976C dual-band WiFi 6 chipset, and designed in collaboration with Banana Pi that will also handle manufacturing and distribution of the router board.

As of the OpenWrt 23.05 release, close to 1,800 routers and other devices are officially supported by the lightweight embedded Linux operating system, and many more claim to be running OpenWrt through a fork of the OS. But none of those are made by OpenWrt developers who have now decided to create their own router board in collaboration with Banana Pi since they’ve done such boards including the BPI-R4 WiFi 7 router SBC.

OpenWrt One/AP-24.XY preliminary specifications:

• SoC – MediaTek MT7981B (Filogic 820) dual-core Cortex-A53 processor @ 1.3 GHz
  • System Memory – 1GB DDR4
  • Storage
    • 128 MB SPI NAND flash for U-boot and Linux
    • 4 MB SPI NOR flash for write-protected (by default) recovery bootloader (reflashing can be enabled with a jumper)
    • Two types of flash devices are used to make the board almost unbrickable
    • M.2 2042 socket for NVMe SSD (PCIe gen 2 x1) – Note: work-in-progress patch to make PCIe work inside the U-Boot bootloader to allow booting Linux distributions such as Debian and Alpine from the SSD.
  • Networking
    • 2.5GbE RJ45 port
    • Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
    • Dual-band WiFI 6 via MediaTek MT7976C (2×2 2.4 GHz + 3×3/2×2 + zero-wait DFS 5Ghz)
    • 3x MMCX antenna connectors
  • USB
    • 1x USB 2.0 Type-A host port
    • USB Type-C (device, console) port using Holtek HT42B534-2 UART to USB chip
  • Expansion – MikroBUS socket for expansion modules
  • Debugging – Console via USB-C port, 10-pin JTAG/SWD header for main SoC
  • Misc
    • Reset and User buttons
    • Boot select switch: NAND (regular) or NOR (recovery)
    • 2x PWM LEDs, 2x Ethernet LED (GPIO driven)
    • EM6324 External hardware watchdog
    • NXP PCF8563TS (I2C) RTC with battery backup holder for CR1220 coin-cell
  • Power Supply
    • 12V USB-PD on USB-C port
    • Optional 802.3at/af PoE via RT5040 module
  • Dimensions – 148 x 100.5 mm compatible with Banana Pi BPI-R4 case design
  • Certifications – FCC/EC/RoHS compliance

Link:

Voting 2024-01-17 - OpenWrt One

https://openwrt.org/voting/2024-01-openwrt-one#voting_2024-01-17_-_openwrt_one

Only 1G RAM? Does it have an SD-slot?

Guess no sd, but if it has standard nvme, guess it doesn’t need it, almost same as R3mini.

OpenWRT forum discuss :

The first pictures are out:

Before criticising the concept be aware of the purpose: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2024-January/002479.html

First I was very confused about the concept! I have still mixed feelings!

But it is admirable, if you create something which you can use to go your own way. I can not say something against it!

The debug over USB-C and MMCX antenna connection I miss in BPI-R4.

If I’m not wrong (please tell me if I’m) this makes it possible to have the board in a closed case and you can make the debugging at the same time! Without doubt, this concept will find many friends! And may be some people will look at it and say: This we will introduce in the BPI-R5? Please do it, I beg you!

The mikrobus is an interesting path!

1 Like

OpenWrt One/AP-24.XY with MediaTek MT7981B (Filogic 820),sample ready

Banana Pi wiki page update ,we will keep update it.