Has anyone tried Bianbu v2?

Soon Bianbu will release their v2 image, it is now a release candidate, based on kernel 6.6 LTS: Bianbu Linux 2.0 Release Notes | Bianbu Linux | SpacemiT Developer

I am currently running the Armbian image provided, which is based on kernel 6.1. It’s quite stable, I have the 16G version of BPI-F3, no freezes or anything. I am mostly running it as a headless computer with ssh, so I don’t need all the desktop packages and tools and services running.

So I was curious to know how is the stability of this new Bianbu image, if anyone tried it yet?

From my experiments with my Gentoo image switching kernel from 6.1 to 6.6 gives you about a 5% better performances while compiling using all the cores.

So keeping everything the same and using a newer kernel might give you a performance boost. If they built the image with a more recent compiler you might get a bit more.

I’m looking forward to have gcc-15 released since then we might see a larger performance boost.

1 Like

Why risking then? :slight_smile: Armbian will always provide you option to try new kernels as soon as they are usable. Without tearing your installation apart.

There is 6.6.y but is not yet in good shape, so not provided …

1 Like

@lu_zero Thanks, that’s good to know!

@igorpec Does that also go for the distribution BPI is doing? I understand that is not part of the upstreamed releases from Armbian?

I don’t know. Take a look, make a diff on sources and tell us.