[Discuss for BPI-R4] Batch production version: 2x10G SFP or 1x10G SFP + 1x 2.5G ethreal port?

2x10G, but definitely need a WIFI module with it. Without it, it is not that usefull as a home router

Does it support a single port with > 1G? I guess 4x1G is fixed for first mac,or am i wrong?

Maybe use some of the PCIe lanes and expand it first with ASM2812 to accommodate bunch of onboard RTL8125 or I226? I was testing PCIe cards on R2-Pro like crazy.

Are you running NAS over the air? I am still using 802.11n for coverage purposes. Even my IPhone is hard wired for stability, also charges through PoE+.

@sinovoip Would be interesting to add an onboard RTL9303 for 8x 10G ports? Then it may need to be expanded to a rack-mount form.

With any external PCIe Ethernet NIC you won’t ever be able to route 10 GBit/s, because only when using the in-SoC Ethernet hardware flow-offloading can be used to let traffic bypass the CPU entirely. Hence, instead of adding a PCIe NIC I’d rather add USXGMII-connected PHYs or DSA switch ICs.

However, bare in mind that 10GBase-T over RJ-45 is much more power-hungry than using 10GBase-R over a DAC cable (which is sufficient for short distances, such as to connect a NAS right next to the router).

Are the dates still valid? Really looking out for this triband solution!

1 Like

I vote for two 10GB SFP. 2.5GB seems an interim step…

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to this one. I would love to help test.

I suggest SinoVoip to design R4 mini product with following specs:

• MT7988 with 2 GiB DDR4
  • on-board MT7996 tri-band Wi-Fi
  • Ethernet
    • eth0: ARQ113C or other USXGMII-connected 10GBase-T PHY and PoE+ input
    • eth1: built-in 2.5G PHY of MT7988
    • eth2: SFP+ slot (SGMII, 1000Base-X, 2500Base-X, 5GBase-R, 10GBase-R, USXGMII)
  • microSD slot
  • large SPI-NAND chip connected to SPIM interface
  • double M.2 slot like on the R3 mini ?

So basically don’t use the built-in 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch and only use the built-in 2.5G PHY and both USXGMII/SGMII/SerDes interfaces, one for on-board 10GBase-T PHY (eth0) and one for SFP+ cage (eth2).

3 Likes

will check your spec , thank you .

Oh, please, please, make this compatible for use with Quectel RM520N-GL 5G modem module. Thanks!

we have test this module on BPI-R3 Mini , and BPI-R3 Mini new image have include Quectel RM520N-GL 5G driver ,you can use it by default. and BPI-R4 support RM520N-GL and RM500U-CN ,we have test it . and image will support by default.

1 Like

GREAT!

Thank you for your support!

1 Like

Thanks for this information. I am thinking that I should get a BPI-R3 Mini, just to play with and learn the modem commands and set up system. I currently have a BPI-R3, and it works really well.

1 Like

I vote 2x10Gb SFP, Can 10Gb Wan SFP port be used with 2.5Gb Gpon SFP module and used PPPoE on openwrt connect to ISP?

should work, but gpon-modules need a bit more work to get working (sfp quirks + temporary change LOS-gpio to get on webinterface without link). and SFP must not exceed 3W

2 Likes

You can put 2.5gbps sfp in the 10g sfp+ slots and they work. I don’t think poe works via sfp+ slots. The general sfp/sfp+ support in the linux mainline kernel is a bit hit and miss, but that will improve over time. Particularly as 10g ethernet and fibre cabling it becoming more affordable in the home. Fibre also uses a lot less power than rf45 cat5/6 cables. I vote for dual sfp+ slots. I don’t need poe as I have power sockets everywhere I might need an AP. I only use poe for more remote things like cctv cameras, and they get power from cots poe switches. So I would say poe is rarely needed in people’s homes. I would like to see a usb socket that embeds the USB to console uart feature inside the case, instead of needing dongles for console access.

1 Like

I plan to use this router for a long time without having to upgrade. My goal with the diagram is as follows, so I need to refer to it carefully to avoid waste. Other features of the router I will review later. Thank you for all your advice

1 Like

Here I mention some 2.5G xPON ONU SFP Sticks:

And you can find more in these pages:

As AP you can buy OpenWrt One, it can be powered via PoE, here is more information about OpenWrt One:

1 Like

ohh, the videos you attached in the article are youtubers in my country, it should work, but in other places I don’t know if it will work or not. in case sfp doesn’t work, i think to use available ethenet WAN port (sfp + converter)

1 Like