[Discuss for BPI-R4] Batch production version: 2x10G SFP or 1x10G SFP + 1x 2.5G ethreal port?

The built-in switch of the MT7988 comes with 4x 1G/100M/10M PHYs used for the 4 LAN ports. The PoE-variant of the BPi-R4 uses the single built-in 2.5G/1G/100M/10M PHY of the MT7988, so there you got a single 2.5G port. And with the non-PoE version you can still add two 2.5G (or 10G/5G/…) RJ-45 ports using SFP modules.

Imho it would be nice to have a 3rd variant, the BPi-R4 PoE-10G which comes with an external 10GBase-T PHY e.g. AQR113C or BCM84888 10G PHY to offer 10G/5G/2.5G/1G/100M(/10M) speeds on the RJ-45 port used with PoE.

Or even add GPY241 to one of the USXGMII interfaces offering another 4x 2.5G/1G/100M/10M ports (in case MT7988 USXGMII supports this…)

de wiki https://wiki.banana-pi.org/File:Banana_Pi_BPI-R4_interface.jpg mentions about this being 1 Wan port and 3 LAN ports instead of 4 LAN ports.

I’m not the expert here but if those are on the same switch all ports should be equal.

They are all same…if you define all as lan or 1 wan + 3 lan is only naming of interface. I plan to upstream r4 as wan+3lan to have a wan in case of no sfp usage

I’m for 2x10g SFP to use possible Bandwidth…poe can be done via PoE injector and in Both directions. PoE here afaik only works for powering the R4 from the other end…and r4 needs more power (>2A) than previous devices with wifi-card. The other way (powering perpherals from R4) makes imho more sense.

1 Like

my preference would be 2.5G Ethernet + POE…

2 x 10G, but that would be nice if you also had all LAN ports with 2.5G speed

1 Like

7988 chip not support all LAN ports with 2.5G

2x10G, but definitely need a WIFI module with it. Without it, it is not that usefull as a home router

Does it support a single port with > 1G? I guess 4x1G is fixed for first mac,or am i wrong?

Maybe use some of the PCIe lanes and expand it first with ASM2812 to accommodate bunch of onboard RTL8125 or I226? I was testing PCIe cards on R2-Pro like crazy.

Are you running NAS over the air? I am still using 802.11n for coverage purposes. Even my IPhone is hard wired for stability, also charges through PoE+.

@sinovoip Would be interesting to add an onboard RTL9303 for 8x 10G ports? Then it may need to be expanded to a rack-mount form.

With any external PCIe Ethernet NIC you won’t ever be able to route 10 GBit/s, because only when using the in-SoC Ethernet hardware flow-offloading can be used to let traffic bypass the CPU entirely. Hence, instead of adding a PCIe NIC I’d rather add USXGMII-connected PHYs or DSA switch ICs.

However, bare in mind that 10GBase-T over RJ-45 is much more power-hungry than using 10GBase-R over a DAC cable (which is sufficient for short distances, such as to connect a NAS right next to the router).

Are the dates still valid? Really looking out for this triband solution!

1 Like

I vote for two 10GB SFP. 2.5GB seems an interim step…

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to this one. I would love to help test.

I suggest SinoVoip to design R4 mini product with following specs:

• MT7988 with 2 GiB DDR4
  • on-board MT7996 tri-band Wi-Fi
  • Ethernet
    • eth0: ARQ113C or other USXGMII-connected 10GBase-T PHY and PoE+ input
    • eth1: built-in 2.5G PHY of MT7988
    • eth2: SFP+ slot (SGMII, 1000Base-X, 2500Base-X, 5GBase-R, 10GBase-R, USXGMII)
  • microSD slot
  • large SPI-NAND chip connected to SPIM interface
  • double M.2 slot like on the R3 mini ?

So basically don’t use the built-in 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch and only use the built-in 2.5G PHY and both USXGMII/SGMII/SerDes interfaces, one for on-board 10GBase-T PHY (eth0) and one for SFP+ cage (eth2).

3 Likes

will check your spec , thank you .

Oh, please, please, make this compatible for use with Quectel RM520N-GL 5G modem module. Thanks!

we have test this module on BPI-R3 Mini , and BPI-R3 Mini new image have include Quectel RM520N-GL 5G driver ,you can use it by default. and BPI-R4 support RM520N-GL and RM500U-CN ,we have test it . and image will support by default.

1 Like

GREAT!

Thank you for your support!

1 Like

Thanks for this information. I am thinking that I should get a BPI-R3 Mini, just to play with and learn the modem commands and set up system. I currently have a BPI-R3, and it works really well.

1 Like