Connecting a PC with RJ45 5Gb to a router with SFP+

A Banana Pi BPI-R4 router on OpenWRT is coming to me; it has gigabit RJ45 ports and 2 SFP+ 10Gb ports. On a PC with a 5Gb Lan port, is it possible to connect the PC to the router to SFP+ using a transceiver like this? The Internet cable itself is RJ45 and the cable through which the PC is now connected to the cat7 router. Will there be any nuances during setup? In fact, this speed is needed to use a PC as a NAS

450x600

What motherboard model? Why not 10gig sfp over dac?

ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, 5Gb LAN

I won’t be able to install an sfp to pcie converter in my pc because despite the size of the motherboard, my rtx 4080 and creative ae9 audio card block all other free pcie slots

I absolutelly understand you :smiley:

Because of the same “blocking problem”, I had to move 3090 from pciEx4 to pciEx3 x16 slot to be able to install SFP+ network card :smiley:

I did not tested it personally, but there are also m.2 to sfp+ convertors.

Then option is to buy multigig adapter eth to sfp+.

I ordered this one, it should fit, right?https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=eieQswm

There are also 10Gb RJ45 cards on M.2 slots (skipping the needs for a SFP adapter on one side). Another option if you already have a 10Gb RJ45 PCIe card is to buy an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter (this is what I’m using but I’ve 3d printed a part to fix the card to a screw of the motherboard, used a cat 8 extension cable and custom made a bracket with a dremel to expose the RJ45 outside).

unfortunately all m.2 slots on the motherboard are occupied

Did you connect the sound card on a x16 slot ? If yes you probably can split the x16 into 4 x4 (or maybe into 2 x8) in the bios and use an adapter to have 4 (or 2) slots.

Sounds interesting, yes, the video card is inserted into x16, because this is the only unblocked slot into which you can insert an audio card. Do you mean inserting an audio card and a razer into one slot? I’ll have to try. Thanks

Yes that’s the idea and would looks like that but for that to works the motherboard / cpu should support PCIe bifurcation.

A multigig switch? Zyxel xgs1210-50 i belive have some copper multigig ports. Not cheap but furure proof.

The best strategy for your scenario is a 5gbit copper switch port with 10g sfp+ uplinks, that way you won’t have to burn the limited r4 processor power doing the switching. Zyxel has multiple multigig models, managed or not, with sfp+ links, connect the r4 to the switch using a DAC and then your pc to the switch using a cat6 cable.