[BPI-R64] Debian Bullseye image

…but I can’t seem to build or use the one with the SWAP. SWAPON does not allow the use of a /filesystem or /file. Okay, I hope that there won’t be any bottlenecks.

Before I do something wrong, Frank. Which WLAN drivers are sometimes installed in this IMAGE? Because I don’t see any at “ip a” at the moment and I don’t necessarily want to do anything wrong.

mt7615/mt7622:

modprobe mt7615e

and mt7915 should be similar see my defconfig

for swap try clone my kernel-repo, change build.conf to bpi-r64, run ./build.sh importconfig and ./build.sh config and search ("/") for swap…i guess there is something missing

Thank you very much. When I enter the command “modprobe --show mt7615e” or even without “-show”, the system shows me nothing. If I change it to a capital “E”, then it tells me that it would not be there.

Thanks, that’s a bit too tricky for me right now and will leave the SWAP out for now. If I notice that the system is getting too slow, then I will take another look.

It’s important for me to get the OpenWRT running properly first and then back up this SD card as an IMAGE, if that goes well.

I also have a feeling that I will have more questions. Should I do it via this or rather via email?

you can do it in forum, but please in separate threads as they are not related to the image itself

btw.

CONFIG_SWAP

not enabled for r64

Good morning, Frank. …once again my thanks for the help/support.

So far I have been working with your Bullseye image for the BPI-R64 and have found that the LANBRIDGE only works when the WAN interface is active. Before that I had no possibility to access this system (via LANBRIDGE). My next step will be to set up the “BASICS”, i.e. a DHCP service for the LANBRIDGE side, and then I will work on the WLAN configuration (I will also write about this in another section).

But one more thing: When I enter “ipconfig -a” I see a WLAN0, where does this come from? Does this stand for the internal 4x 2.4 GHz connections or should 4x WLAN also appear there? I have also installed the 5 GHz module. Do you have any idea how I can deal with this board? Installation Driver, Access…

Kind regards

Z. Matthias

I guess this comes from the systemd-config.

Wan is configured if link is there and requires eth0 to be up (bind),lanbridge should always be setup,but only up if link on any port is set. Maybe the binding to eth0 is missing (needed for lan0-lan3 too).

Wlan0 i guess its the internal…you don’t get 4 wlan interfaces…only one…you have only 4 antenna connections. You can srarch dmesg which wifi device is recognized,but wlanX is imho only printed if renaming is done…sometimes renaming to wlp0sX happens sometimes not

You can choose the wlp or wlan naming scheme in the systemd .link file…

NamePolicy=path

1 Like

thanks, but currently i have no .link for wlan devices…and afair internal wifi is named wlan0 and external (pcie card) is renamed to wlp1s0

Thank you very much for your answer and advice. I think the WLAN is ingenious and I will try it out with “hostapd” to see if it works. But I have seen /read that I should /must enter a so-called “device” there. what is this device called under your image?

AND! What do I have to install for the external 5 GHz module? I have not yet fully understood / been able to comprehend this.

Hello Frank,

I have a quick question regarding your Bulleyes image. What is the best way for the WLAN0 configuration? Via /etc/systemd/network or rather via /etc/network/interfaces.d/ ?

Best regards

Z. Matthias

For hostapd and any other configs (wpa supplicant,iw,…) you need an interface (shown in “ip a”), not device (in /dev)

/etc/network/interfaces (and interfaces.d directory) need ifupdown installed and it is the legacy way. my image has systemd-networkd activated and you should not mix these configuration-daemons. if you install/enable ifupdown you have to configure all in this and disable systemd-networkd

with both you configure interface-state and ip-configuation

hostapd needs to be configured separately

for systemd you can look into my existing configfiles in /etc/systemd/network (link-files sind for link layer, e.g. interface-state and vlan-creation, network-files are for protocol configuration like ip-adress/dhcp)

for hostapd you’ll find examples in my wiki (and maybe i have added configfile to image…do not remember).

basicly you need to set interface up with ip-adress, an dhcp-server (e.g. dnsmasq or systemd-dhcp) and hostapd running for Wifi-AP itself

Good morning Frank,

I’m still having a bit of trouble with the bullseye image and I hope you can help me:

1. Yesterday I had the interface WLAN0 under “ifconfig -a” and after a restart (cold start) of the system it is no longer present. What could be the reason for this?

2. I would like to activate the external WLAN interface, but unfortunately I don’t know exactly how to do this. Could you possibly help me here?

Thank you in advance for your help. Best regards

Z. Matthias

Make sure kernel module is loaded and messages appear in dmesg

modprobe mt7615e
dmesg | grep -i 'mt76'

With external you mean pcie-card? Is it inserted in cn25? cn8 is disbled due to sata activation

lspci

should show cards inserted,maybe you need to install a package

apt install pciutils

Frank, I read that you do not attach wlan0 to the bridge. I guess under most circumstances this will be ok, but I think it will break 802.11r fast transition, at least with ft_over_ds enabled. Anyway if someone chooses to implement it.

Is this only usable with bridge? Have not heared about it before

Have you a configuration example and which wifi cards/software support it?

Basically need to add to hostapd conf in two access points:

Change:

wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK FT-PSK

Add:

mobility_domain=fedc
nas_identifier=someidenticalhostname
ft_psk_generate_local=1
#ft_over_ds=1

Both access points setup with the same SSID and mobility domain Nas identifier needs to be different on each access point.

You need layer 2 connected access points for ft_over_ds to work. It might however work without layer 2 wihen ft over air, since ft_psk is also generated locally.

I’ve seen some ft activity in the debug logs, so it looks like it works on internal mt7622. I’m working on a tool to make ft and other inter-ap options more accessible, without the need of openwrt or dbus. I still need to add a possibility to show the debug logs concerning FT, as these messages are normally not shown (log level).

I’m getting these in the syslog:

Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 IEEE 802.11: binding station to interface 'wlan0'
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (FT)
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 MLME: MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(34:de:1a:bc:55:25, FT)
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 IEEE 802.11: association OK (aid 2)
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 2)
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 MLME: MLME-REASSOCIATE.indication(34:de:1a:bc:55:25)
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 IEEE 802.11: binding station to interface 'wlan0'
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 WPA: event 6 notification
Dec 17 16:35:04 bpir64 hostapd[1311]: wlan0: STA 34:de:1a:bc:55:25 WPA: FT authentication already completed - do not start 4-way handshake

So it is working ok on mt7622 internal wifi.

Anyway, not even noticing when my phone roams.Only change in signal strength, but wifi seems uninterrupted

Sadly I do not receive these as events on the ctrl_iface, so I can not make them visible in my tool…

Come to think if it, I think you need layer 2 network also for ft over air. The client needs to contact the central DHCP server from any access point. It continues to use the same DHCP lease after roaming.