BPi-R4 current via mini PCI-E

I’m looking to buy a BPi-R4 and a AW7916 wifi card and noticed this power requirement: Power consumption maximum is 8W, average is 5W. Main board Power Supply design please provide 3.3V 3.5A, minimum 3.3V 3A.

Where can I find information about how much current the R4 can provide via M2 and mini PCI-E?

Just wait for official wifi 7 module, rest is pointless.

Yeah planning on getting that but official support for that card on vanilla OpenWRT is at least 1-2 years away. AW7916 is probably gonna work in the next stable release of OpenWRT.

In the documentation is a remark for AW7916:

Be carefull and use the right position of the switch:

→ I think it should be OFF (it is just for WiFi 7 NIC Board “ON”)

1 Like

Thank you for the links! Still not sure about the currents if using the AW7916. How much peak and sustained current is the board able to provide when not using 12V mode?

In shematics i have here is mpcie (cn12,cn14) described with 2A-Peak:3A

M.2 slot is directly connected to 3.3VDD,so should be up to 8A…shared with all other 3v3 clients like sfp,mpcie,…

1 Like

I have some random mediatek 7921 laptip card but it work poor, for what i saw on ali it looks that card with 7915 or 7916 might be worth those moneys, mostly those with 4*4 radio and 160MHz channel. Bpi have one oversized. Those cheap one also don’t have better rf amps and power is not for outdoor.

Im trying a third party mPCIe cards on R4’s CN12,CN14 and M2KeyM (with adapters/converters).

At M.2 KeyM it works just fine, Card at CN14 throws a lot of following messages, especially when actively using the using the card. When I plug the card to CN12, I get only at boot-up, but no more during operating.

Can these messages could be about power level difference? (current 3A vs 8A) Do the CN12 and CN14 have differences to show such behavior difference?

AER: Corrected error message received from 0001:01:00.0
PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
device [17cb:1104] error status/mask=00000001/0000e000
[ 0] RxErr

note: these messages doesn’t seem to affect the performance but I didn’t do a serious controlled test.

which adapters do you use ? are these for the purpose of using wifi ? and if so which card you tried

by the way has anyone came across a keyb converter to wifi ?