[BPI-R4] add ifb mod to kernel 5.4

I downloaded the 2024-03-10-debian-11-bullseye-lite-bpi-r4-5.4-sd-emmc.img and the 2024-03-10-debian-11-bullseye-lite-bpi-r4-6.1-sd-emmc.img image’s and it does not have ifb module in the kernel. I pulled the kernel source to recomile but it is not there either. Can you point to the ifb info so I can add it or did I miss it?

If you have kernelsource you can add it via menuconfig

I pulled the kernel source from BPI’s git and it is not there.

Have you used build.sh with option 4?

Yes when I run the build it actually fails compiling the Wi-Fi modules right now so I’m not even sure what’s wrong with it. I did try and add config_ifb to the config file just to see if it would compile or give me an error message that says that the source code wasn’t there for it.

i guess this kernel also needs older build-tools like the openwrt…this i only got compiled with ubuntu 18.4

maybe using a newer kernel is an option?

change build.conf to bpi-r4 and use build.sh with importconfig, config and then without param

CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
ccache: error: Failed to create temporary file for /home/jonnt/.cache/ccache/3/4/abqclnd6dgc0cqbnu7frhv630sgtp9aR.tmp.SH6nHZ: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:289: scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Deleting file 'scripts/mod/empty.o'
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ccache: error: Failed to create temporary file for /home/jonnt/.cache/ccache/1/7/4e1oe7f1f2m1soj5dqj3pq4rchp7o4oR.tmp.RMq9SE: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:121: scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s] Error 1
make[1]: *** Deleting file 'scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s'
make: *** [Makefile:1262: prepare0] Error 2

For some reason it had the wrong permissions so just just changed them.

Maybe you used ccache as root in past? Try change back rights in your cache file back to your user

sudo chown -R jonnt /home/jonnt/.cache/ccache

I should have checked that before I posted. Stupid on my part.

The code exists for all 3 kernel versions but it will not compile. There is no selection in menuconfig and if I add it to .config it gets overwritten.

My repo has no menu,just call (after switching to 6.9-rc and changing board in build.conf)

./build.sh importconfig
./build.sh config # this does menuconfig
./build.sh # compile

In menuconfig you can search with / for ifb

Dumb question but how do switch to 6.9-rc?

Git clone https:… and then git checkout 6.9-rc

Success, I have now having a working 6.9 kernel on bullseye.

What config file specifies what packages are installed when the image is built?

I cannot talk for vendors image,but for my debian image it is only minimal install via debootstrap and some packages defined in buildimg.sh (like hostapd).

And later systemd-resolved