BPi-R3 with ReSpeaker 2-mic hat soundcard

The MediaTek MT7986 (Filogic 830) SoC of the BananaPi BPi-R3 comes with a built-in audio engine, and the board allows connecting audio codecs via the 26-pin GPIO header.

Patches adding support for using the Wolfson WM8960 with the audio engine of the MT7986 have recently been added to upstream Linux (v6.6/v6.7).

A cheap and easily available WM8960 module is the ReSpeaker 2-mic hat from Seeedstudio:

This can be connected to the R3

For details see:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool, thanks! Seems like the new mt7988 also has the same audio engine and itā€™s also register-compatible (I havenā€™t checked all), should be easy to add support as well.

Yes, thatā€™s true. Both MT7981 and MT7988 seem to have similar audio units, probably only minor details (such as clocks needing to be taken care of) will vary.

I guess they use a common design with their general purpose SOCs, since adding audio interface to a router-oriented SOC doesnā€™t make sense. Or maybe Iā€™m missing something

You may have missed that classic 2-wire analog telephony interfaces are also connected in that way, eg. Si305x PROSLIC is what you typically see being connected to the digital audio signals of such a SoC ā€œin the wildā€.

Also the use of such SoCs in (audio-driven) home assistant devices or smart speakers is thinkable, though not likely as most of the chips nowadays for that got at least DSP features, if not even NPU for wake-word recognition and such (MT798x got none of that).

Also pro-audio application seems unlikely due to missing IEEE 1588 Version 2 support which would be needed for DANTE.

1 Like

It makes sense now that you mentioned that telephony interface. I think those CPU cores (even the A53) are powerful enough for some DSP algorithms like word-recognition, having SIMD instructions helps. But Idk if itā€™s a common thing to do on linux